Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

To bathe or not to bathe ? that is the question

LineB

Lairian
Hi, I am a Sphynx Mommy to be (in less then 2 weeks), I am very excited about that.
Here is my question: To bathe or not to bathe a Sphynx? Since I've been looking to adopt a Sphynx, I have read everthing that Is available on internet (forums, Vets, breeders, etc.) and seems to me like no one have the same vision about bathing your cat. So that is why I am turning to you guys.

Is it one bath a week and use wipes if needed?
Is it one bath a month?
Or once 2-3 months?
The worst I heard was once a year?
Some people are even saying that if you washed them they are going to produced more sebum and will look dirty all the time??

Right now I am totally lost in all this with the bathing situation....but I minded to give him a bath once a week and make a cleaning routine at the same time (except for tooth brushing, once a day) ...I have bought the Sphynx shampoo (with Emu oil), they wipes the best on the market, the cleaning wipes for the ears and nose, the hydrating cream, Tooth brush and gel, The nails trimmer (for cats a very delicate one) , even a bottle of perfume just for cat, etc.

I was a mother before (to a kid, to a Abyssinian , to a Devon Rex and to a Boston Terrier), but first time mommy to a Sphynx little boy...I don't want to be a bad mother...

Thank you very much for all of you who will reply to my question!!! Much appreciated!
Have a Meow day! x0x

Attachments

• Wilson 10 Weeks.JPG
    Wilson 10 Weeks.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 88

GMPLAX23

Lairian
I am a new sphynx mom :) I have been told with bathing is less is more. Of course you don't want them running around dirty :hungover: but you don't want to bathe excessively because it makes them produce their natural oils faster.
Now that it is much cooler in Maryland (USA) I am not planning on washing Tut more than once a month. And it seems to be working out okay. (y) I have wiped him down when he got a little to dirty. so far so good. When it warms up i'll probably wash him every 2/3 weeks:cat:

With that being said I am diligent about keeping his nails clipped and ears clean. That I do about every 2 weeks.

Seeing how actively you are getting knowledge about your new baby boy, i find it hard to believe that you'll be a bad mom :D
(also @LineB GO Boston Terriers- I have one too:love: )

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It depends on the sphynx, some get dirty faster than others. Try to see how long you can wait before your baby starts looking oily/dirty and bathe then - for some it can be a week for others a month. Most members seem to do paws and ears once a week and faces/eyes every day and baths weekly or as needed. Generally the more naked and the more wrinkly they are the dirtier they get, the pinkies also seem dirtier but maybe it's just more visible. My two darker ones with a flock/velour coat have the tiniest coat of fur that you can barely see/feel but it makes them stay clean a lot longer so there's no need to bathe them weekly. It also depends on how well your cat handles baths, some make it a huge drama with a lot of struggles so it's easier to use wipes to keep them clean as long as you can. But yes - the less often you can do it without them getting gross the better for their skin.

LineB

Lairian
I am a new sphynx mom :) I have been told with bathing is less is more. Of course you don't want them running around dirty :hungover: but you don't want to bathe excessively because it makes them produce their natural oils faster.
Now that it is much cooler in Maryland (USA) I am not planning on washing Tut more than once a month. And it seems to be working out okay. (y) I have wiped him down when he got a little to dirty. so far so good. When it warms up i'll probably wash him every 2/3 weeks:cat:

With that being said I am diligent about keeping his nails clipped and ears clean. That I do about every 2 weeks.

Seeing how actively you are getting knowledge about your new baby boy, i find it hard to believe that you'll be a bad mom :D
(also @LineB GO Boston Terriers- I have one too:love: )
Thank you so much for this answer...It's pretty cold in my location as well...Northern Quebec, Saguenay Lac St-Jean, So I guess I will have to follow my little man , and see what he really needs...adapt I will !

Yoda mom

Staff member
Less best here too with my 4
I use Hylyt amd Avenalyt shampoo amd a tad of dgrease
I go on average 3 weeks for full spa days
(with in between wipe downs with baby face clothes amd
Very very very diluted Hylyt /Avenalyt in a pitcher of warm water )

I have recently noticed that my sphynx are less greasy since I have changed their food brands
Even this morning my man thought I gave my wrinkly more oily girl a recent Bath - nope... same routine just different food - noticeable difference of cleaner skin and ears

You will get your baby amd adjust Accordingly for that cutie!
Can you share the products you got for your baby ?
I am not familiar with the shampoo , wipes , hhydrating cream or perfumes ? Thanks :)
Be cautious for allergies amd ingredients they can lick off in products

Do you have your gotcha day ? so excited for you !
Can't wait for gotcha day pics!

LineB

Lairian
It depends on the sphynx, some get dirty faster than others. Try to see how long you can wait before your baby starts looking oily/dirty and bathe then - for some it can be a week for others a month. Most members seem to do paws and ears once a week and faces/eyes every day and baths weekly or as needed. Generally the more naked and the more wrinkly they are the dirtier they get, the pinkies also seem dirtier but maybe it's just more visible. My two darker ones with a flock/velour coat have the tiniest coat of fur that you can barely see/feel but it makes them stay clean a lot longer so there's no need to bathe them weekly. It also depends on how well your cat handles baths, some make it a huge drama with a lot of struggles so it's easier to use wipes to keep them clean as long as you can. But yes - the less often you can do it without them getting gross the better for their skin.
Thank you for the good tips, it's much appreciated . From what I heard from the breeder, my little man loves the water so far...but like you said, I will have to see how thick the coat will be...looks veloury for now (but thin ), I know that nothing is fixed yet, he is too small (12 weeks old), but I will keep all that you guys are saying in the back of my mind...I am feeling much more knowledgeable then what I was 1 hour ago...LOL

LineB

Lairian

I have recently noticed that my sphynx are less greasy since I have changed their food brands
Even this morning my man thought I gave my wrinkly more oily girl a recent Bath - nope... same routine just different food - noticeable difference of cleaner skin and ears

I am not familiar with the shampoo , wipes , hhydrating cream or perfumes ? Thanks :)

Do you have your gotcha day ?
Thank you for sharring your experience with me. yes, I will be happy to share my list of products...when I have a bit of time, I will take some pictures and share it on this website...but I still have to find where to post it? Also, do you know where I can post any Sphynx clothing to sell? I baught clothing for Girls and Boys, I wanted to keep my options open when I started the adoption process, now I some clothing (pink and light blue) that I would like to sell.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Thank you - looking forward to seeing the products -

Please Post lots of gotcha day pics and an intro :
My Sphynx Cat Tail

Hopefully others read your post and PM you about the clothes
We don't have an individual sale /swap thread -

Perhaps @Catzzzmeow may have suggestions for the clothes?

LineB

Lairian

My Sphynx Cat Tail

No , I have the link on facebook Passion Sphynx Quebec , but I will probably put the link on my website eventually, since I am hoping to start a little clothing company for Sphynx. Will be coming soon! Will post it here when it's done!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Good question with lot of different answers possible:). I think it depends on the sphynx (my boys get dirtier much faster then my girl), on how much your sphynx likes or hates bathing, on how much you mind a dirty cat (and dirty clothes, blankets).
It can cause skin problems if you bathe them too often so I wouldn't go for more then once a week.
Very few people never have to bath their sphynx (wish that was so for mine!) but most bathe their sphynx somewhere between once a week and once a month.

LineB

Lairian
thank you for the answer...by the way I was a resident of Netherlands for almost 2 years, just returned to Canada in April! Happy to follow you on this forum. Thank you again for your reply!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@LineB how great that you lived in the Netherlands for two years. Sorry to hear I just missed you here:). But living in Canada is way more beautiful and great!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi there.

I too do a full spa treatment every 3 weeks (with HyLyt shampoo). In between I do weekly wipedowns with very warm water and a couple drops of HyLyt and a bunch of baby cloths. Every morning I wash their faces and necks (they're messy eaters).

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi there, welcome! Your baby boy is just ridiculously cute! What a great photo!

I bathe Rosie, a pinkie, once a week to once a fortnight. She gets grubby and I sometimes feel bad she's looking dirty, but try not to bathe her any more as it dries her skin and although she's a good girl, it's still a little stressful for them I think. The dirt doesn't bother her at all. For nails it's once a week, plus in between I wipe her nails if they get more build up. Ears it's once a week, which keeps cleaning time shorter and again less stressful as she's not keen on her ears being done. The darker sphynx tend to go longer between baths, probably due to the dirt not showing so much as lighter ones!

Each day, usually twice a day, she has a full face and mouth clean, plus additional eye bogie cleanups, but that's easily done with s finger lol (or she'll deposit them anywhere, walls, blankets, settee, on the kitchen side, on my cheek! You'll get used to finding eye bogies here there and everywhere!)

Bethanymcn

Lairian
I bathe my boys once every two-three weeks...
I use a hypoallergenic cat shampoo seems to keep them clean longer and doesnt dry their delicate skin! Also noticed it helps with acne issues as well...
Good Luck and Congrats on the new sphynx baby :happy:

LineB

Lairian
I use a hypoallergenic cat shampoo seems to keep them clean longer and doesnt dry their delicate skin! Also noticed it helps with acne issues as well...
Hi there, welcome! Your baby boy is just ridiculously cute! What a great photo!

I bathe Rosie, a pinkie, once a week to once a fortnight. She gets grubby and I sometimes feel bad she's looking dirty, but try not to bathe her any more as it dries her skin and although she's a good girl, it's still a little stressful for them I think. The dirt doesn't bother her at all. For nails it's once a week, plus in between I wipe her nails if they get more build up. Ears it's once a week, which keeps cleaning time shorter and again less stressful as she's not keen on her ears being done. The darker sphynx tend to go longer between baths, probably due to the dirt not showing so much as lighter ones!

Each day, usually twice a day, she has a full face and mouth clean, plus additional eye bogie cleanups, but that's easily done with s finger lol (or she'll deposit them anywhere, walls, blankets, settee, on the kitchen side, on my cheek! You'll get used to finding eye bogies here there and everywhere!)
Hi, thank you

Do you have your gotcha day ? so excited for you !
Can't wait for gotcha day pics!
thanks for the reply! I am taking notes of everything. My gotcha day is in 9 days+- , yes...I will have plenty of picts and videos to show!

LineB

Lairian
Thank you for the reply, I will just try to do my best. I think I have good products, but I will go with my little man, how is going to react, He will be the boss! LOL

LineB

Lairian

My Sphynx Cat Tail

Here are the infos about the products I will be using...for starter! and my gotcha day is in about 9 days now...

Attachments

• IMG_6704.jpg
    IMG_6704.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6703.jpg
    IMG_6703.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6702.jpg
    IMG_6702.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6701.jpg
    IMG_6701.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6700.jpg
    IMG_6700.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6699.jpg
    IMG_6699.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 64

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LineB, thank you for sharing!
What a supply!
I would only add to ask members if they have ever used perfume sprays on sphynx?
Check ingredients on all products
I would be Leary of adverse skin reactions or licking /ingesting reaction since they can be soooo Senstive to products
I use and really like papaya mist but only on my fur kids

Love that cute nail grinder :)
Perhaps you can post a video when using it for a review :)
I have used cordless dremels on my dogs but never thought of a small ome for kitties

Thank you for sharing!

Oh the count down to Gotcha day when your heart is goimg pitter patter ! :)
Can't wait for more pics! Sooo cute!

LineB

Lairian
@LineB, thank you for sharing!
What a supply!
I would only add to ask members if they have ever used perfume sprays on sphynx?
Check ingredients on all products
I would be Leary of adverse skin reactions or licking /ingesting reaction since they can be soooo Senstive to products
I use and really like papaya mist but only on my fur kids

Love that cute nail grinder :)
Perhaps you can post a video when using it for a review :)
I have used cordless dremels on my dogs but never thought of a small ome for kitties

Thank you for sharing!

Oh the count down to Gotcha day when your heart is goimg pitter patter ! :)
Can't wait for more pics! Sooo cute!

:) Thanks again for the wise tips you are giving me. From what I've read about the Male (cat ) Perfume, it's supposed to be safe and ok even for sensitive skin (y), but I will use it with cautious:cautious: and just like us (the parents ) do with new products, do a skin test before using it, I will spray it on my finger and rub it on a tiny area of Mr Wilson (under arm or top of the tail );) and wait to see if there is a reaction, and would never spray perfume like crazy on him:jawdrop:...I would probably use it like the way I am using it, spray in the air and parade in the mist....hope you are visual here:ROFLMAO:...but I guess I will have to make a video of that too...should be hilariously entertaining:D! LOL My plan is to post a tons of video on Mr Wilson's facebook page and on his twitter account and on my youtube chanel .
On this , thanks again...until next time, take care,:kiss:

Back