Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

To snip or not to snip, that is the question

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am debating on wether I should get my 4month old neutared or if I should let him breed a few times than get him fixed? What's everyones opinion?

Brooke

Banned
Hi Maximus,

I say do it now! First, there are obvious health reasons: you eliminate his chance of testicular cancer, reduced risk of prostate problems, among others. Then there are the behavioral issues associated with an un-neutered male cat: spraying, howling, desire to stray from the home, very stinky urine...

If you wait until after he's mated a few times, many of these behavior issues will have become habits, and may or may not be "cured" by neutering him later on (for example, if he gets into the habit of spraying, he may continue to spray even after he's been fixed).

Unless you're considering taking on the incredibly serious task of becoming a responsible breeder, I say get him fixed now. There's absolutely no health benefit to letting him mate a few times first. Not only that, but the younger he is when the surgery is performed, the faster and easier he will recover. :ThumbsUp:

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I really appreciate your opinion Brooke! My Vet said to do it at 5 months, so I think I'm going to go ahead with it than. I will have her micro-chip him than as well, while he is under. He is already a pretty awnry little boy, that's what made me the most nervous about not neutering him! I would have a Hellion on my hands lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brooke

Banned
I really appreciate your opinion Brooke! My Vet said to do it at 5 months, so I think I'm going to go ahead with it than. I will have her micro-chip him than as well, while he is under. He is already a pretty awnry little boy, that's what made me the most nervous about not neutering him! I would have a Hellion on my hands lol.

Glad to hear it, Maximus! Yes, if he's already a little bit crazy now, just imagine when his raging hormones started to kick in...oh boy!! :Dizzy:

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
well it is up to you but Sanura is not fixed yet and i plan on breeding her at least once to get a kitten from her but you also have to consider the health reasons to get them snipped.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I totally agree with Brooke. Spaying and neutering is the best way to go. Breeding is an incredibly expensive venture if you do it right. Along with everything that Brooke mentioned, you also have to think of the female aspect too. Spaying keeps them from cycling in and out of heat, calling at all hours of the night, expensive c-sections, the potential of having to hand raise kittens--which require you every 2 hours until they're about 5 weeks old (don't expect to sleep more than 3 hours at a time, they certainly can't wait overnight for a meal like older babies) and then there comes the health risks such as pyometra (a life threatening uterine infection), uterine prolapse, dystocia, vaginal prolapse, death during delivery, etc.

The benefits far outweigh the risks with altering pets and they make better companions because they're not souly focused on reproduction.

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
don't forget about the Neuticals!! If your feeling bad about snipping his ..umm..cherries..heehee. I snipped my little guy last month, and I found that he seems to get a lot less messy, and his ear wax build up isn't as bad as it was when I first got him :) He still runs around like a crackhead though :)

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
don't forget about the Neuticals!! If your feeling bad about snipping his ..umm..cherries..heehee. I snipped my little guy last month, and I found that he seems to get a lot less messy, and his ear wax build up isn't as bad as it was when I first got him :) He still runs around like a crackhead though :)

heehee still cracks me up...

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I got Butterball snipped around 9 months. His balls were getting big. I got many comments on his size so I had to take care of that. He was making me look bad. The only thing I noticed was his pee didn't stink as bad. Judging by the incisions, it was a very quick and painless procedure. He's still a hellion.

sheryl

Lairian
Absolutely neuter! Brooke said it all very well. Working at a vet clinic, I've seen too many irresponsible breeders, all with good intentions, get in way over their heads. Let the breeding up to the pros. Even they run into unexpected problems which add up to big bucks.
Sheryl

Back