Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Toa has a rash - off to the vet

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Since a few weeks Toa now and then has a rash on his tummy. Mostly it's gone after a day. It started when I accidently ordered the wrong catlitter (same brand as usual only bigger litter).
Of course I bought new bags and changed the litter. But since that day the rash comes and goes.

This weekend it became really bad so off to the vet we are. Probably an allergy. Thinking it can be the sun/warmth (hot days here) or a plant in the garden...

He isn't scratching so don't think it's itching. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it in any other way. But it looks painful to me

20180603_190252.jpg

20180603_190112.jpg

20180603_190058.jpg

20180603_190053.jpg

I let you know what the vet says!

HenlesMom

Lairian
Henle had a similar rash over the weekend.. it seemed to pop up after being outside on the leash one evening so I was thinking it was heat rash. The vet had given us a special shampoo to use for his rashes so we used it once and it seems to be almost clear now (~48hrs later). Let us know what your vet says!
Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 11.47.02 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 11.47.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 11.51.00 AM.png

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh nooooooooooo! Poor Toa. It definitely looks like an allergy. Keep us posted.

Hi hi, Toa,

My skin gets like that if I don't take my medicine. The doctor found out that I was allergic to nearly EVERYTHING outside. But I love being outside. So I take the yucky medicine every day but sometimes I still get bumpies. But like you, they really don't bother me ('cause we're tough!), but it looks awful.

I wish I was there to roll around in the dirt with you!

Love,
your Min girl

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Back from the vet! While I was thinking, (and still think it's a heat rash) the vet says she thinks it's Uticaria Pigmentosa. A skindisease very common with sphynx she says. I have to say it looks like it when I google it.

The vet wasn't completly sure either so we agreed to start with antibiotics cause she saw the start of an inflammation. The meds are for 5 days. Then we'll see if it's gone or not. If not, more antibiotics are needed and an ointment.

If it is Uticaria Pigmentosa then it will be a lifetime issue with life time medication needed. So you can see why I still (want to) think it's heat rash. But even when it's a skin disease Toa will be okay. Then he will get meds everyday and still be happy.

Being a tough cookie at the vet
20180604_143556.jpg

Giving the vet the stink eye "I don't have a skin disease! It's just a heat rash"!
20180604_144456.jpg

I asked the vet when it was time for a heart scan for my boys. The vet says the never make heart scans unless they hear a heart murmur or suspect something is wrong. This was what my other vet said too. Funny how different it is in the USA.

Healing vibes are very appreciated. Fingers crossed the antibiotics kick in!

Thanks all. Love from Toa

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@HenlesMom happy to hear Henles rash is gone after using the shampoo. Hopefully it was a one time issue. If the antibiotics won't kick in I'll ask the vet about a shampoo too! Thanks

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Xandria thanks. the vet thinks it's Uticaria Pigmentosa. Having antibiotics now.

Hi Min, I knew it! I knew we are bonded in all ways possible. So of course I have the same as you. I'll tell the vet I have what my girl is having and that I need Min-love and the same meds as you. No matter how many bumps you have, you never look awful. And we tough ones will always keep rolling in the dirt outside!
Love you, Toa

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh noes! Poor poor Toa. But we're all wishing and hoping it's either a heat rash or allergies to the outside. All fingers, toes, and paws crossed.

As you said though, Toa is a tough cookie, and no matter what, he'll be great because he has the most awesome Sphynx Mommy!

BTW, Canada may be the same it seems as Europe for heart scans. My vet said a heart scan is really only needed if an issue is suspected. He's very good at checking them out. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind the peace of mind. Sadly the only HCM cardiologist in Vancouver has moved!!! sigh.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Min wanted to send Toa a get well picture. But she also wanted to cheer Toa up by making him laugh. She hopes he likes this derpy picture of her. She just woke up when photo was taken.

zIMG_1201.JPG

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi hi, Toa,

It's your girl, Min. How are you feeling? Mommy showed me a very sexy photo of you licking your lips after staring down that plant! rawr! I saw your paw still looks sore.

Write soon.

Love, your girl, Min

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hi Min, my beautiful girl,

Oooh well I must admit I was thinking of you when I licked my lips:). I feel good. And I have no idea why mommy and the vet make so much fuzz about the sores abd the rash. I think it gives me a tough look and it doesn't hurt or ich at all.

How are you? Please give your mommy some extra hugs cause I know she struggling with her health.
Love you, you boy Toa

IMG_20180610_000944_862.jpg

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Update: the antibiotics helped a litgle but not enough. Went back to the vet friday and got an ointment for the sores.

Feeling a bit frustrated after seeing the vet cause she said "this is what happens when people only think about themselves and want a cat without fur!". I really didn't know what to say. When I was home I felt so stupid for not speaking up.

Well luckly it wasn't the regular vet.
The ointment semms to help a bit. But the sores are still very red and the rash is still there. Strange tjing is Toa doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all. He's not scratching, licking or biting his skin. Just as laid back as he always is!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you for writing back so fast, Toa. I'm so glad the rash doesn't hurt and that it's getting better. It does make you look tough!

I'm okay. Trying to keep Mommy distracted. For instance, today, I found Daddy's bath robe belt (for the bath robe that isn't here any more... Mommy and Daddy said that I made too many holes in it for it to be used for its "intended purpose" or something silly). I don't understand what they're talking about most of the time. Any way, found the soft fuzzy belt and chewed and chewed and it was heaven... until Mommy heard me. Then she took it away. It's not like Daddy needs or anything.

Mommy's a bit sad these days, but she's still smiling and laughing. I give her lots to laugh at.

Here's a picture of Max and I on Salt Spring Island a month or so ago. We went to this BIG park on a mountain. There was a lot to see. We could have stayed all day but Mommy and Daddy were going on about UVs or something. Mommy keeps telling Max that he'll explode if he goes outside in the sun. Mommy's funny.

Love,
your girl, Min

zIMG_2196.JPG

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Snap...that vet was completely out of line saying that. That is NOT acceptable. Please do your best to keep the negative out. Not sure how your veterinary hospital works over there, but I would share with the owner of the business what was said. Compassion and care are key to health and wellness. I hope the ointment helps. Thanks for updating us.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Update: the antibiotics helped a litgle but not enough. Went back to the vet friday and got an ointment for the sores.

Feeling a bit frustrated after seeing the vet cause she said "this is what happens when people only think about themselves and want a cat without fur!". I really didn't know what to say. When I was home I felt so stupid for not speaking up.

Well luckly it wasn't the regular vet.
The ointment semms to help a bit. But the sores are still very red and the rash is still there. Strange tjing is Toa doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all. He's not scratching, licking or biting his skin. Just as laid back as he always is!

HUGS. Why on earth would that vet say something like that!? That's not supportive at all. And it's not like all Sphynx have this. People have this... as I'm sure other creatures too. OMG. HUGS HUGS. I hope you see your normal vet soon. She sounds nice.

At least Toa's not bothered, but I do continue to send positive healing vibes.

Xan

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Catzzzmeow thanks so much! Ypur words help me to see it clesrly again. Here in the Netherlands the last year there's a campaign against having some kind of "pure breeds" as a pet cause of the health issues. Sphynx are high on top of the list of cats that shouldn't be breed. This makes me doubt myself sometimes. Altough of course I know sphynx, when scanned and breed by a reputable breeder, are healthy pets.
Thanks for reminding me!

Back