Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Today I rescued Dita :)

Long story, but a good one :)

Today I took Alice to Petco like every Saturday and once I walked in the door one of the employees ran over and told me that a man had been in a few days ago asking if they knew anyone who was looking for a Sphynx. They thought of me.

I was given a phone number, and drove into town to meet a Sphynx who I was told was named "Tammy".

Tammy is 8 years old and lives in a mansion (literally) with an older couple and several other cats (I saw 3 Bombay, one other Sphynx and a tiny Tuxedo kitten)
all of which are kept isolated in the back room (the smallest kitten is kept in a bird cage). I was told this was because the couple has so many valuable things they can't worry about their cats breaking anything.

The cats are NOT allowed on furniture (not even the bed or chairs), or to play (playing causes broken things) they have no toys and are only allowed to roam the house on the days the couple has time to watch them.

I paid $25 dollars for her and took her away within an hour of meeting her. She seems to have an upper respiotry infectiton but the vet isn't open until Monday.

Tammy is now named Dita and is happily sitting on my bed. Because in my house everyone lays on the furniture, and everyone has some catnip and a toy mouse before we eat dinner and go to bed (on the bed!)

I feel bad I couldn't save the other cats, the reason Dita was being rehomed was because she is TOO affectionate and the woman hates being rubbed against by such a strange feeling cat. She told me not to feel bad if I couldn't stand it either and said to just drop her at a shelter if I couldn't care for her. I wanted to hit her, but I didn't. Dita will NEVER see a shelter and she will never be sent away again.

So that's the story of my day :)

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Congrats! Dita must be happy to have a new loving home! I really really want to see pictures!:ThumbsUp:

KushielsTart

Lairian
People never cease to amaze me. They probably think that they are giving these poor cats have a good home, too. I'm so glad you "rescued" her! Can't wait to see pics, hope you are able to clear up the health problems easily. Have fun!

Heh- what about the other Sphynx? Tell her she can send it to Vegas!

Congrats- we want pics!
If I could have taken the other I would have. The other was 12 with a heart murmur. They liked her though because she loves the woman so much, it's sad really because I think that cat just wants someone to love it. I told them if they can't keep her though, I'd take her so if she comes into my possesion I'll let you all know because I'm up to 6 cats now and 4 of those are seniors so I know I can't do 7 :)

Aww thanks guys! :) She's pretty much staid in the same spot for hours. Napping on my pillows. Oh and she sneezed on me.....

xxx_phoenix_xxx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
some people are just crazy why have a sphynx i you dont like the way they feel or have any cat at all if they dont like the way they behave i really cant beieve they keep a kitten in a bird cage really what is wrong with these people.:Cry:
congrats on the new edition she will defo enjoy her life with you and will learn in no time how to be a cat its a shame the others are still there but hopefully they to will one day find a loving home somewhere else other than where they are now.
well done you. looking forward to pics:Laugh::ThumbsUp:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
What a great rescue, congrats!:ThumbsUp:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wow. People. <heavy sigh>

I guess I'm not surprised. We adopted a beautiful DSH from the shelter that was turned in because he kept trying to play with the woman's origami collection.:Dizzy:

Congratulations on Dita. She is going to be living the high life now! Furiniture...toys...

Maybe the older cat could be transported to Sleepyheadkitten.

tessblack

Banned
What a sad and great story all at once. Really happy for you and how crazy is that all coming together. Really want to see pics soon and happy Dita will be loved.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing how everything fell into place!!!!! Again my motto everything happens for a reason!!! Congats:ThumbsUp:

susi794

Staff member
Woohoo! Great news for Dita and I'm so proud of you! Pics please!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor kitties. People never cease to astound me. Why get a pet if you're more worried about your inanimate possessions? That poor kitten in a bird cage. It makes me sick.

I'm so glad you were able to save Dita. I'm sure she'll blossom in your care and learn what it's like to allowed to be a real kitty and member of a family that loves her. Well done. :)

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Lucky Dita, I can't wait for pics and hear how her vet visit goes. You did a good thing, hopefully the other cats will become troublesomely friendly as well and get new homes!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
WOW - Sianne and Alice I just saw her Facebook right before I logged onto the Lair. I love the name Dita and I love that she will now HAVE A LIFE. Hooray. I am soo happy I could pee myself.:ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Great rescue story! I'm so glad you found each other. I really hope the other kitties find a better home as well.
Some people make no sense to me either. Why have pets if your worried about your items? It never crosses their mind "maybe I shouldn't put this here, the kitties might think it looks fun!" lol

Prime example: I went to the fair this weekend. The kids wanted me to win this huge Iguana...I've had them in the past and love them to death (RIP Iggy & LuLu) but I knew I couldn't take the chance of getting one and having Snuffie stress it out trying to play with him!!! lol SO I didn't get him...in hopes of him finding a home that doesnt have a Sphynx licking it lips!!!! lol