Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Today is National Pet Obesity Awareness Day:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
d1662762464eb69cacad92535dd1737e.png

Reviving a past Friday Fact because today is National Pet Obesity Awareness Day.

After you get your cat neutered/spayed you might notice some weight gain, especially after they turn 1 years of age and are considered adults. Adult cats stop growing and their activity levels are generally low compared to when they were kittens. Neutering/spaying decreases their metabolic rate by 20-30%. So generally an adult cat usually needs fewer calories to maintain a healthy body weight. Statistics show about 58% of all cats that a vet sees are overweight and 33% are considered obese. Imagine if you included cats that don’t see a vet!? So it is best to start watching your cat’s weight at the 1 year mark to hopefully keep them healthier in the long run. Here is a list of the most common obesity related conditions for cats:

Bladder/Urinary Tract Disease
Chronic Kidney Disease
Diabetes
Liver Disease
Asthma
Arthritis
High Blood Pressure
Heart Failure
Gall Bladder Disorder
Immobility of Spine

It is never too late to help get a cat to a healthier weight. If you think your cat is overweight, talk with your vet to set a goal for what would be an ideal weight and slowly work at it. Vets say you can’t blame the cat for being overweight, it is the human feeding them that is at fault. Measured portions, less treats and regular exercise are important in helping an overweight cat achieve a healthier weight.

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well it is time to cut out the snacks as Shamus’ belly is a tad big from the side view but he looks great from the above view. He had a little tantrum last night as no after meal treat was given. The darling smashed a whole big bottle of Angel perfume on the floor. I can actually taste it in the air and I would hate to know what my place actually smells like.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Natalie Murphy kudos to you for recognizing you can help your baby start the journey to an ideal weight. It is not easy….I know first handed lol. They seem to try to train us to give in with their antics. BTW…love Thierry Mugler’s perfumes…Angel is one of my favorites.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Catzzzmeow , thank you for this great info!

my mom says my kitties are too skinny.. she is of school of thought, oh I love a big cat, looks healthier :( she says her Jeffery is "big boned"

Back