Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

toe cleaning help please

rose ginther

Lairian
Hi need help much boy Talon is a total Jerk when it comes to his feet . He growls , pulls, bites . He now has some build up and I am concerned , bathing is no issue but grab a wet wipe or a face cloth and he is gone .how do I safely clean his toes without risking life and limb

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes, bundle and heat up the wipes by dipping in warm water first. And I just wrote this in another thread:

For nails/paws:
  • Lay out nail clippers, file, and four Huggies naturals baby wipes at kitchen table.
  • Lay a no slip mat on the bottom of the kitchen sink. Fill kitchen sink a few inches with warm water. Add some HyLyt.
  • Fill one largish bowl with hot water and four baby face cloths.
  • File a mediumish bowl with hot water and a good teaspoon of coconut oil. The coconut oil will melt.
  • Don exfoliating glove onto dominant hand (for me, it's my right).
  • Place another warm towel near the sink and then locate Max.
  • Place Max into the sink of a few inches of warm water. Stroke Max and tell him he's a pretty boy and hopefully get a few minutes out of the pawdicure soak.
  • Using my exfoliated gloved hand, I dip into the sink's water, pick up a paw and gently rub and clean the paw area, and then get between the toes. I clean as much as I can -- until he gets restless. Then I move on to the next paw until all 4 are preliminary cleaned.
  • Strip of glove, airlift Max from sink into towel. Swaddle Max.
  • I sit on the chair sideways at the kitchen table, with Max on my lap (back in lap). I unwrap one paw (I start with rear right and work counterclockwise -- it's a long story).
  • Take one Huggies wipe and soak in the bowl of coconut oiled water. Squeeze some water out.
  • Use left hand to gently push out one nail at a time, cleaning each one with Huggies soaked in coconut oil (I will use my fingernails to scrape if need be -- with cloth between Max's nail and my nail). I also clean any other dirt I find between or at each toe. The coconut oil and Huggies baby wipe really takes the effort out for me.
  • After tossing the used wipe aside, I clip the tip of each nail, and then use a file on each nail.
  • I then take one of the cloths in warm water and wrap this around Max's paw. He gets a nice massage and thorough wipe. At this point he starts to pass out and splays his paws open for me. Sometimes he falls asleep which is funny.
  • Repeat with each paw.
  • Give more treats.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Xandria, great post! If only my little Tasmanian devils would think so fondly of this pedicure :) like Max! He is such a good boy!

I am breaking out a baby soft tooth brush with warm water/coconut oil next for the under curved part of the nails-
Then they can growl and bite the tooth brush instead of me.. Gentle grabs in protest ..no skin breaks but definitely vocal hissy here... Jimmy leaves and says oh no way .. ;)

I am going to give your suggestions a whirl! Thanks!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Xandria, great post! If only my little Tasmanian devils would think so fondly of this pedicure :) like Max! He is such a good boy!

I am breaking out a baby soft tooth brush with warm water/coconut oil next for the under curved part of the nails-
Then they can growl and bite the tooth brush instead of me.. Gentle grabs in protest ..no skin breaks but definitely vocal hissy here... Jimmy leaves and says oh no way .. ;)

I am going to give your suggestions a whirl! Thanks!

I forgot to add, I recently added using a very soft bristle tooth brush dipped in the warm water and coconut mix. I brush the underside of the nails just before clipping. Max has taken to licking the handle of the brush as the coconut is tasty. Lol

Annika Laybourn

Lairian
I actually dont bathe my sphynx Hendrix, he's a clean little guy all by himself. But still his nails get a build up. What I do i to clean them when he's so relaxed that he's almost melting in my lap. I start by just touching the feet a little. Rubbing them slightly. And when he's used to it and relaxed I jut scrape dirt of with a nail. Its SO easy and doesn't require holdning him down or anything like that.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I actually dont bathe my sphynx Hendrix, he's a clean little guy all by himself. But still his nails get a build up. What I do i to clean them when he's so relaxed that he's almost melting in my lap. I start by just touching the feet a little. Rubbing them slightly. And when he's used to it and relaxed I jut scrape dirt of with a nail. Its SO easy and doesn't require holdning him down or anything like that.

Hendrix needs to be cloned.

Back