Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

sigridur

Lairian
So my little guy is having quite the problem.. There's something wrong with a 2 toes on each front leg! Thing is that they are getting very dirty, and he obviously hurts when I clean them(this is the area around the nail) there used to be only 2 toes, but I went to spain for 2 weeks and he wouldn't let those who were babysitting him clean his nails to well - he just didn't let them, i'm the only one who can. When I came back it was worse and he's hurting more :( We've been to the vet and he got antibiotics because she thought this was some sort of infection, and i got a cream to put on him to fix it but nothing happened. We got another cream to put on him and still nothing happened, and now I got some cream for like fungus on toes but for pets. I really hope this works because this is no fun!! Have you had this happen with your cats?
The doc said if it didn't work we'd have to take a sample and send it to examinate because she can't do so much here, i live in a small town and the next vet is probably about 400km away.

sigridur

Lairian
You can't see too much. It's basically just a bit swollen or something right where the nail starts, that area of the skin. Can you see? it's like thicker
I can soak it :)

Attachments

• IMG_0466.JPG
    IMG_0466.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 96

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ouch those do look swollen. I was expecting it to be between the toes rather than the nail bed.

Looks like a nail bed infection, sounds like the vet is trying out the right things that should treat this. Though usually they will take a swab and culture to determine the cause before treating it.

Did he catch the claws on anything? Could it be trauma related or the vet has ruled that out?

sigridur

Lairian
Ouch those do look swollen. I was expecting it to be between the toes rather than the nail bed.

Looks like a nail bed infection, sounds like the vet is trying out the right things that should treat this. Though usually they will take a swab and culture to determine the cause before treating it.

Did he catch the claws on anything? Could it be trauma related or the vet has ruled that out?
i have no idea what happened :( i clean him regularly and he doesn't even go out and the apartment is clean, and i've been really careful to keep him clean there! so i'm not sure what happened. but i'm pretty sure it got worse when i was away because he did get to go outside in the garden then.
He got medicine for infection but it didn't do anything at all, and he was on that for about 2 weeks

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@sigridur I would have thought if he had caught it or it was bacterial then the 2 weeks of antibiotics should have cleared it up.

Sounds like there is a good chance it is fungal. I have read before that inflamed nail beds can actually be a symptom of ring worm. Sometimes even the only symptom. Any chance of that? Can you check him for other ringworm symptoms? I wonder if he could have picked it up from outside.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
So my little guy is having quite the problem.. There's something wrong with a 2 toes on each front leg! Thing is that they are getting very dirty, and he obviously hurts when I clean them(this is the area around the nail) there used to be only 2 toes, but I went to spain for 2 weeks and he wouldn't let those who were babysitting him clean his nails to well - he just didn't let them, i'm the only one who can. When I came back it was worse and he's hurting more :( We've been to the vet and he got antibiotics because she thought this was some sort of infection, and i got a cream to put on him to fix it but nothing happened. We got another cream to put on him and still nothing happened, and now I got some cream for like fungus on toes but for pets. I really hope this works because this is no fun!! Have you had this happen with your cats?
The doc said if it didn't work we'd have to take a sample and send it to examinate because she can't do so much here, i live in a small town and the next vet is probably about 400km away.
Sorry to hear of this issue. Just be sure to read the warnings on the bottle/ tube to ensure the creams are safe to ingest, cats lick themselves, especially the paws. It sounds like there is dirt/ gunk under that nail bed, can you get him to soak in a warm tub for awhile to loosen up the dirt? Then try to carefully pull back the skin and clean it thoroughly as seen in the video below.

sigridur

Lairian
@sigridur I would have thought if he had caught it or it was bacterial then the 2 weeks of antibiotics should have cleared it up.

Sounds like there is a good chance it is fungal. I have read before that inflamed nail beds can actually be a symptom of ring worm. Sometimes even the only symptom. Any chance of that? Can you check him for other ringworm symptoms? I wonder if he could have picked it up from outside.
I'm pretty sure it's not ringworm, but i'll Keep it in mund when i talk to the vet next
@sigridur ,Checking in for any updates on his toe? Were you able to recontact the vet?
Yeah i talked to her yesterday, she got me that cream and told me to wait a week and a half if nothing happenes shes going to take a sample and get it examines. She just doesn't have the tools here to do this now, this is such a small town with one vet and it's not the best vet I could get maybe but it's all I can do right now, she's doing all she can :)

sigridur

Lairian
Sorry to hear of this issue. Just be sure to read the warnings on the bottle/ tube to ensure the creams are safe to ingest, cats lick themselves, especially the paws. It sounds like there is dirt/ gunk under that nail bed, can you get him to soak in a warm tub for awhile to loosen up the dirt? Then try to carefully pull back the skin and clean it thoroughly as seen in the video below.

The cream is safe it's for pets :)
I clean his nails exactly like this, but I'll try to soak them and I have to clean then everyday so I can put on the cream. Ugh man I hope this works :(
I'm glad that it isn't bothering him to much, he walks perfectly normal and does everything like he should but it hurts when I touch it

sigridur

Lairian
I was just cleaning him now, i let him soak in water with just a little bit of neutral soap and then cleaned his nailbed with baby wipes and it obviously didn't hurt as much as yesterday :) so thats good! I think this cream is working :)

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sorry to hear about your little guys toes. They do look swollen at the nail bed. I think you are doing a good job, soaking them and using the prescribed medication. Warm soaks and compresses will help whatever is going on. Make sure to dry them out really well too to keep them dry and not let the water sit in there as that will perpetuate any bacterial or yeast infection. Do you have Epsom salt available to you in Iceland? That will help dry out any infection as well. You mix it into the warm soaking water and it will help pull out any infection and allow more oxygen to get I to the needed tissues. The only thing to be careful with is to rinse his feet off when you are done soaking with warm or cool water and do not let him drink or lick the water with the Epsom salt in it. It is high in magnesium and will give him diarrhea. Otherwise it is not harmful, it just causes the poops! It is also a cure for constipation! So just be careful not to leave it on his skin for hi. To lick or ingest. That usually helps with skin ailments, especially with the feet!

I hope he starts to feel better soon.

Jen

Back