Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Toilet problems!

Sharnsphynx

Lairian
Hi guys, so we’ve had our boy nearly 3 weeks now, he’s about 17 weeks old! He’s good as gold except for one issue. He’s began pooping on the furry rug. He is toilet trained and this has only become an issue in the last couple of weeks, the first week or so he used the trays fine. Had the vet check him and all fine.
I know he likes the rug as it’s super soft and he loves playing on it.
We have 2 trays, and one is in the same room and same corner as the rug. The trays are cleaned at least once if not twice a day and Thoroughly once a week. He only seems to poop in the tray if it is freshly cleaned, other wise, it’s the rug.

We’ve tried moving the trays, I’ve also put a lid on one to see if that helps.
I clean the rug thoroughly everytime he does it, and use an odour elimination spray too.
He currently has wood pellet litter as when we got him we were told he eats the gravel kind. Although I’m debating changing to gravel.
I’m at a bit of a loss, I’ve been trying to clean the tray everytime he uses the toilet, to encourage him to use the tray, but obviously when I’m at work that’s no good.
Does anyone have any advice, or experience with this? I have no idea what to do now!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member

Thought this might be helpful. I’m sure it is frustrating. You might try using a different litter in one of the boxes.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Maybe find out which kind of litter he was eating? If it was clay, then you have many other options he shouldn’t want to eat such as corn, walnut, wheat, and grass seed. Grass seed is superior in my opinion. SmartCat is the original but there are plenty of dupes on the market now for half the price.

On the cleaner you are using I’m not sure what kind you are referencing but it’s really important to use an enzymatic cleaner specifically for urine. You can find them in the pet isle at your grocer.

Can you try removing the rug completely for a few days and see if it helps? I’m wondering if it is the rug specifically or just the spot he likes.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sharnsphynx ,I found mine preferred a large litter box and unscented litter, and have to scoop constantly. when newly homed I would leave one pee ball and turd in the box to help train. I also trained ,reinforced by giving happy praise and a treat as soon as he came out of the litter box. experimenting with different size boxes, lid on, lid off may help. for covered boxes I always pop out the swing door flap. location location too. some don't like litterboxes near the noise of washer, dryers. if you have a multilevel home, a litter box on each level helps.

my yoda girl was a weirdo. she preferred a large covered box, door flap removed to pee in. then a more shallow box with yesterday news unscented pellets to poop in. I had both types of boxes next to each other. he may just not like the wood pellets?

you may need to take away the furry rug for awhile to discourage behavior.

will be following closely for updates. surely members will chime in.

hugs n head smooches

Sharnsphynx

Lairian
@Sharnsphynx ,I found mine preferred a large litter box and unscented litter, and have to scoop constantly. when newly homed I would leave one pee ball and turd in the box to help train. I also trained ,reinforced by giving happy praise and a treat as soon as he came out of the litter box. experimenting with different size boxes, lid on, lid off may help. for covered boxes I always pop out the swing door flap. location location too. some don't like litterboxes near the noise of washer, dryers. if you have a multilevel home, a litter box on each level helps.

my yoda girl was a weirdo. she preferred a large covered box, door flap removed to pee in. then a more shallow box with yesterday news unscented pellets to poop in. I had both types of boxes next to each other. he may just not like the wood pellets?

you may need to take away the furry rug for awhile to discourage behavior.

will be following closely for updates. surely members will chime in.

hugs n head smooches
Thank you! We put a feeding station where he usually does it and We started to change his litter today to a non clumping clay one mixed with the wood pellets he usually has! He went straight in the tray! Fingers crossed we are on the right track! Thanks for the help!!

Sharnsphynx

Lairian
Th

Thought this might be helpful. I’m sure it is frustrating. You might try using a different litter in one of the boxes

Thought this might be helpful. I’m sure it is frustrating. You might try using a different litter in one of the boxes.
thank you! I’ve put a feeding station there and changed the litter in one of the boxes, and he’s been very good and used the litter box today! Hopefully on the right track!