Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Toilet training

Sphynxminx

Lairian
I would like teach my Sphynx kitten to eventually use our toilet instead of the litter box. I know you can buy the kit to train them but just wondered if anyone has done this with their cat and is it worth training?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would like teach my Sphynx kitten to eventually use our toilet instead of the litter box. I know you can buy the kit to train them but just wondered if anyone has done this with their cat and is it worth training?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I personally haven't ever toilet trained a cat. However, my rescue Bubbles came toilet trained. At my home he uses the litter box perfectly and never once has tried to use a toilet. Jackson Gallexy (the king of cat behavior IMO) posted about this. Just food for thought.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I tried to litter train my kitty cat and once we got pretty close to the end she messed up and felt really bad about it. It made me feel really bad too so we just went back to litter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PetitePuce

Lairian
I know some people are against it but my Kojak is toilet trained and seems perfectly happy using the toilet. I say there's no harm in training your cat as long the cat doesn't seem to be stressed out by the process. You would know if the cat is resisting the training and is unhappy - they will show their discontent by peeing or pooping around the house in places they shouldn't. When that is the case, I can agree with people who say you don't do it. My sister tried training her kitten recently and she didn't like it. My sister started finding little turds in her plants so she stopped training Lucy and went back to using a litter box.

My cat is so trained to use the toilet that if we are outside hanging out in the yard he will run in the house to jump on the toilet to go potty. It's too funny - I guess he doesn't realize he can just pop a squat to relieve himself in the grass so clearly he is not at all bothered with not having a cat box.

I started training Kojak to use the toilet shortly after I brought him home from the breeder - I just made sure he was able to jump up onto the toilet without any problems before we started using the Litter Kwitter kit. I think it took me longer to get trained to remember that I could no longer put the lid down when I used the toilet - LOL! I love the convenience of not having to worry about bringing a litter box with me when I take little weekend trips with Kojak to visit family and friends. Everyone has their opinion and I say do what's right for your cat.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I'm not against it at all as long as the kitty is ok. Like I said above I tried to train mine. It was just so heartbreaking when she pooped right near the toilet and was upset. I came home and she was hiding. I couldn't figure out why until I saw the misplaced poop. She was so embarrassed or ashamed...it really upset me and I felt like I had put her in that position. I grabbed her right up and (crying a little) told her everything was ok and I put the litter back immediately.

PetitePuce

Lairian
I'm not against it at all as long as the kitty is ok. Like I said above I tried to train mine. It was just so heartbreaking when she pooped right near the toilet and was upset. I came home and she was hiding. I couldn't figure out why until I saw the misplaced poop. She was so embarrassed or ashamed...it really upset me and I felt like I had put her in that position. I grabbed her right up and (crying a little) told her everything was ok and I put the litter back immediately.

I was mostly referring to Jackson Gallexy when I was referring to people who are against it - he's pretty adamant that cat's shouldn't use the toilet and he certainly has followers that believe he is right. I think you and I agree - no one should make the cat feel like doing something if it makes them unhappy. I'm sure your adorable kitty is happy to be digging in her litter box again. :)

Sheldon13

Staff member
Yeah I've seen his YouTube video on it. He basically implies it's evil to toilet train. Some cats do care though so I don't see the harm. I wish my kitty could have toilet trained. Would have been much cleaner for me and her.

Back