Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Toilet Training

Ahicks99

Banned
Hows it going Sphynxie?

On the move - 12/13-12/26/10
Things went well we had not one single accident while moving the box from its original location 4 times to the bathroom. Got it in for a few weeks switched litter to the flushable kind, removed the lid off the box within two weeks. All with no accidents.

Day 1 - 12/26/10
Tray on the toilet - Placed each cat on the tray several times throughout the day. Both boys had success the 2nd time I put them on. Lucy (Persian) freezes and wants nothing to do with the top of the toilet, she wants off immediately everytime I put her n the tray. I kept a close watch on them all day and kept putting them all on the toilet. I couldnt catch Lucy after the 3rd time I put her on. I knew none had gone #2 and watched closesly. Sure enough my sniffer was brought alive with the fresh odor of Poo, So I look around to locate it I find it in my live tree. Figured it was one of the boys go get them both and put them on the tray on the toilet. Both with success of #2. So then I figured it must have been Lucy who messed in the tree. I again find her and put her back on. Kinda stayed for a minute but still fled as soon as I lossened my grip. I put her and the boys several more time throughout the day and evening. As I was doing laundry I smelled something nasty once again. Only to have crap roll onto my foot. I screamed like Id seen a Ghost, Hubby freaks out and wonders why Im screaming if its only poop. Once again take Lucy to the tray. Ok so I fugure its going to take time and patience and go to bed.

Day 2 for us - 12-27-10
Wake up to Lucy on top of my son and a disgusting stench coming from someone. Naturally suspect the Sphynx got poo on them so I grab Jar Jar took a whiff and nope not him. So I then grab Lucy off my son and feel crap ALL over her hind end. Take her to the bathroom place her on the tray for a second or two and then shes off like the wind. Both boys came in and took their turn on the toilet. I proceed to snoop for poop and found it behind the blinds. :Sick: Didnt have much time to worry about the cats this am so I took the tray off the toilet and layed it on the floor I hope she uses it today. I dont want to clean crap anymore today.

Accident count: Sphynx - 0
Lucy - 4

Anyone who is training or has trained feel free to join in and share your experince and expertise. Post updates and pics so we can learn from each other. :0)

Last edited:

tessblack

Banned
Yeah it is frustrating, especially with three cats. I had a video camera plugged in the bathroom and would run it all the time. I had to check it every 8 hours or the card would run out of space. Is Lucy a bit older? You may just have to leave it on the ground for about a week and let her get comfortable again, maybe make some sort of platform about half height to the toilet and put it beside or near it.
I had problems with Twitch pooping beside the toilet at the beginning of every stage, and then she also had an accident in the front room. I just kept stepping back and then giving it a few days and moving on. I left them at each stage for awhile. I even broke down at one point because she had not went to the bathroom in so long. I brought a box with litter out and she went right away pee and poop. I just felt so bad. But slowly they got used to it and now they are fine. The one problem I have is Tux likes to splash the water before he poops so I have to get an auto flusher. Another thing if the poop sits at the bottom of the toilet too long it gets really hard to clean.:Hysterical::Hysterical:
Keep us updated.

Have to say I was not sure I would ever get to this point.

Shell_Baby

Lairian
We have been doing the toilet training since Thanksgiving, and so far, so good. We only have one fur kitty (still on the search for my sphynx), and she has adapted well. I haven't had any "accidents" yet, but have had a couple of "overshots" . She's still learning, tho, so I'm definitely NOT complaining. One thing I've learned is to keep it REALLY clean. Every time I clean it, she comes running to use it. I've cleaned the litter box more since we've started this than before! LOL:Wink: I know it is the means to an end and then no more litter - yay! :ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

BTW, we are still on the red (solid) level of the litter kwitter :Laugh:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We actually had to stop the training for a few days as Skinderella was sent back to the breeder. It was a heartbreaking time for me and my family so I just didn't need anymore stress- I may post about this later when I feel up to it.
Nudie got a "Litter Quitter" for Xmas and seems to like it better so that's what I'm using now. The concept is the same except it starts a little different. I put the tray on the floor where the litter box used to be for 2-3 days then put it on the toilet. So far Nudie is on day 2 of the floor tray with NO accidents. It's great to hear that the boys are taking to it quickly and hopefuly your other cat will soon.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We actually had to stop the training for a few days as Skinderella was sent back to the breeder. It was a heartbreaking time for me and my family so I just didn't need anymore stress- I may post about this later when I feel up to it.

I'm sorry I missed this. Sending you love and a hug.

Ahicks99

Banned
Thanks everyone. Sphynxie I had no idea, I'm really sorry about Skinderella. I hope Nudie is keeping you company and bringing you lots of smiles.

Doesn't look like we had any success with Lucy today. Onto day 3 we'll just keep swimming, swimming just keep swimming. Good luck to you all.

Maua_Peterbald

Lairian
Please post your experiences, I am going to order Litter Kwitter, and would like to know what to expect.
Frodo has his litter box in the toilet from the very beginning. He also likes to jump on the toilet seat. Sometimes he even sits in the right position, but didn`t dare to pee yet :Laugh:

Ahicks99

Banned
Day 4 - Got home and inspected the house for accidents only to find NONE. YAYYYY So I go check the tray/pan and know Lucy has not been near it. The boys continue to do good and are ready to move on. So after 15 minutes of trying to catch Lucy because I knew she needed it really bad as she was avoiding me but staying close at the same time. Left her in the bathroom about 10 minutes and she used the tray. I flew threw the moon. I praised her a bit and we went on with the evening. Today we'll see how she does or if she needs locked in again. I placed her twice on the tray through out the eve and this am. I hope she doesnt hold it to long as I dont want her to get sick. Im ready to have my bathroom back. I gave up mine to the cats and have now been sharing with the Hubby. :Impish:

The road is long and patience is key.......... But on the bright side we are moving forward.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yay Lucy!!! I re-read the intructions last night and was laughing because one of the keys to success for toilet training is a sense of humor:LOL::LOL:

tessblack

Banned
Oh great for Lucy!!!!!

Yes a sense of humor is needed when you walk in and Tux is not quit positioned right and peeing on the floor. Nothing like moving a peeing cat. Worth it though.

sisterun

Lairian
I have a 3 and a half month male who we have been potty training since we got him late November. He was doing really good for a bit but we have noticed that he always holds everything in and won't go potty unless we coax him. Recently he has started to pee around the house. On our guest bed, in his cat tree, on my work clothes, and probably a few other places we haven't found yet. After each use of the plastic toilet rim we wash it and replace it with new litter. It is always clean. We have caught him on two occasions just flat out pee on himself while he is playing or laying down. We don't have any other cats or pets in our house. Any ideas?

Gizzymom

Banned
I have no solution to your problem, as we are still... and will stay... a litter box family. But I know it is NOT healthy for your cat to be holding his urine. If he waits until he actually wets himself, he may be causing damage to his organs, as all those toxins in waste are being held in as well. If you cannot find a solution, I think it is healthier to go back to a litter box than keep trying to force him to use the potty... Just my opinion though.:Smile:

Good luck!!

pooner

Banned
I would say make sure he doesn't have a UTI and if he doesn't maybe gizzymom is right, he just might be a litter box boy. So far Pooner is doing well with his toilet training but he's still in the litter ring stage. I hope he does well but, I know that if he decides to reject the toilet I will go back to litter for his sake. Good Luck!

Ahicks99

Banned
Hows all the Toilet trainers??? The boys are still doing good trying to give Lucy time to adjust before we switch to the next stage. But ready to move on. I need my bathroom back. Somehow it seems easier to share with my Cats rather than the Hubby. :Dizzy:

Back