Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

too skinny

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
i feel my girls is too skinny, she eats like a horse but still doesn't seem to gain weight i've taken her to the vet and she is in perfect health no parasites or anything but she is still so skinny. Does anyone have any input on what would be the best food to feed her to help her gain weight?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
My female is also thin, I think its just in the genes as long as she got a clean bill of health. She eats like a horse!:Laugh:

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Okay as long as i know that i'm not the only one that has a tiny sphynx i just wish i was born with those genes lol :LOL:

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you! the only probably is that she knows how cute and pretty she is and she uses it to her advantage. just like kids only smaller and less clothed. :LOL:

Brooke

Banned
Okay as long as i know that i'm not the only one that has a tiny sphynx i just wish i was born with those genes lol :LOL:

HAHA, you and me both!!

A lot of sphynx have the pot belly, but Walter is very lean, too. He's quite muscular, but has no body fat at all and eats all day long. You see a lot of photos of sphynx's and their belly sort of rests on their feet when they sit? He doesn't have that. The vet tells me he is at his perfect weight. As long as your vet isn't concerned with her weight, you shouldn't worry either. :ThumbsUp:

How much does she weigh? Walter is 9 pounds and Helen is 7 pounds.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
So true let me know if anyone finds there secret! Athena is only 7lbs and Leo 9.5lbs! So if she looks healthy is happy and the vet gives you :ThumbsUp: all is A Ok!

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sanura is only 5.4lbs and is coming down on a year old just wondering if it was normal i worry about her she is like one of the kids :Wink:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My Oreo Cookie Monster not a sphynx is only 5.9 pounds and she will be 2 in August.
Cleo my sphynx is 7.3 pounds and wil be 1 August 6th.
She has the sphynx stomach but is a small cat.
Sphynx sure are pigs though.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Haley is a small cat, too, and always looks thin to me - But then, Oogie is a pig LOL My friends all tease he's half pig and that's why he has no hair! So next to her, she looks really skinny, she doesn't have the pot belly alot of Sphynx do, but she has gained half a pound since I got her - She was boardering on emaciated when I got her, I think he fed her enough, but the guy who gave her and her sister to me fed them generic cat food and Friskies canned, so now that I've got her on good quality food she's got some catching up to do still!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wouldn't worry, lovinsphynx, my Piglet is a petite sphynx, too...she's only 6 lbs and she's 9 years old. Sanura may be blessed with a small build, just like Piglet.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I thought I'd throw in a comment here:

Buck and Baldwin (brothers) are both 9 and 11 pounds respectively. Buffy (their sister) is 5#. Over the last 2 weeks I have been double feeding everyone. They've received a total of 3# of food per day. Baldwin and Buck both went from 8 and 9 pounds to their current weights (Baldwin looks like a sausage) and Buffy...she's still 5#.

Metabolism in youth has alot to do with it. Buffy's mom weighs almost as much as the boys, so I don't worry so much. Buffy has the chubby tummy, but her hip bones are visible. Therefore, I'm judging by her ribs. I think all sphynx have hip bones that protrude (secondary to that chubby tummy), so it may be easier to judge on another level. For my "little mama", I'm just keeping an eye on her since feeding her more hasn't worked too well.

Back