Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Top-entry litter boxes?

wanderpus

Lairian
I was considering getting a modkat litter box for when I ultimately get my Sphynx, but I've never used anything but open pan type boxes before. Has anyone had any experience with top-entry litter boxes? Particularly training a cat used to one type, to use the other?

Last edited by a moderator:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I have never used a top entry box but I have been told good thing about them, less litter tracking is the #1 plus. With the regular entry box with a lid it seems like litter can be kicked for miles :LOL:
You have me thinking of getting one now. I saw a box at pet smart last week that had spiral steps but look like it was a long way in for the poor cat.

wanderpus

Lairian
My only real concern is that the top entry looks sort of difficult. Videos show cats managing it just fine, but I wonder if it'd be too much once the cats gets older.

The thing I love about the modkat is it's just so PRETTY. I mean, all things considered anyway (it's still a poop receptacle, afterall). Has anyone used it?
modkat.jpg

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use rubbermaid tubs without the lids. I like them more than noraml pans. I tought my kittens to use them as soon as they could jump out. Just started useing deeper pans until I got to the ones we use now.

Rubbermaid is alot cheaper then the pre-made ones, and if you want the hole, just cut one in.

susi794

Staff member
For the cost of that modkat you could pay more than half of a litter robot--if I'm not mistaken, the modkats were about $185. or something close to it. I bought several of the top loaders that were about $40 each--my cats didn't like them much and the smell was worse. If I didnt use the litter robot, I too would use the plastic tubs without the lids on them---same idea--cat needs to jump out, but the smell isn't so concentrated.

wanderpus

Lairian
For the cost of that modkat you could pay more than half of a litter robot--if I'm not mistaken, the modkats were about $185. or something close to it. I bought several of the top loaders that were about $40 each--my cats didn't like them much and the smell was worse. If I didnt use the litter robot, I too would use the plastic tubs without the lids on them---same idea--cat needs to jump out, but the smell isn't so concentrated.

How is the litter robot? I've seen it, but I always thought that self-cleaning litter boxes were probably gimmicky contraptions that would never actually work as advertised, so I have a tendency to write them off.

The main part of the price for the modkat is that it looks nice, I guess? You always pay more for items that tout their "design" element, but I'm not adverse to spending extra on something that looks nice and helps to disguise its purpose, but only if it actually WORKS for its purpose. If they're stinkier, well then it's sort of pointless.

Inferno12

Banned
How is the litter robot? I've seen it, but I always thought that self-cleaning litter boxes were probably gimmicky contraptions that would never actually work as advertised, so I have a tendency to write them off.

The main part of the price for the modkat is that it looks nice, I guess? You always pay more for items that tout their "design" element, but I'm not adverse to spending extra on something that looks nice and helps to disguise its purpose, but only if it actually WORKS for its purpose. If they're stinkier, well then it's sort of pointless.

The litter robot is AMAZING!!! I love love love mine and I will be getting a second one. I can go a few days (a week when I had 2 cats) and never smell a thing until I open that drawer :Badly::Badly::Badly:. There is really no smell and the thing works like a charm. It took Johnny about a week to "get it" but no one else had any issues using it at all. I will never use another regular litter box again

wanderpus

Lairian
With my new little guy just a month or so away from coming home, the issue of switching litter boxes is again at the forefront of my mind. Still considering a ModKat, but the Litter Robot is definitely on the table as well. I don't have the space for the Cat Genie or whatever it's called (no room in either of my bathrooms, and my washer/dryer hookup is in the basement, which is not for kitties).

Anyone else have experience with top-entry boxes, ModKats, and/or Litter Robots?

TotenEngel

Banned
We use a boda dome to try and help reduce tracking (We use pine litter and have wooden floors!) But then I have always had covered litter boxes in the house.
My concern with the ModKat is that it looks tiny!! I'd be worried about them getting stuck in it or tipping it up trying to get out!

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use one of these.
40161.jpg

I had an open pan before but Namir is an excavator and can keep on digging for 10 minutes after and before himself as well as after Darwin. Had to clean the floor 4 times a day. Now just a few grains follow out sometimes in their paws, that's it.
The door can be taken off if they don't want to go through it in the beginning, never had any problems with it though.

susi794

Staff member
I adore my litter robot and as soon as I can afford another, I'm getting another. The trouble is that the cat has to weigh about 5 pounds (if I remember correctly) for the sensors to register there is something in it. Lulu is tiny and sometimes she jumps in and rides it around.....so if you get a litter robot (which I can't recommend highly enough)don't turn it on automatic until your kitten is a little older. Turn it on and off manually until he gets heavy enough for it to be safe to leave him to use it on the automatic mode. It is large and not very attractive, but I believe you can buy a cover accessory for it also--or just put it somewhere away from most people's view. I will also never go back to a regular litterbox. I owned several of the Rubbermaid top entry boxes--they do help on tracking, but the smell was really concentrated in there and I didn't like it. But I had 8 cats at the time. If pretty is what you are looking for, then the litter robot isn't gonna do it for you--but if you prefer not to worry about scooping--maybe up to two weeks for a single cat, have no odors and fall in love with a machine....then go with the litter robot.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I like the look of the ModKat box however, the hole looks so small. I don't think Snuffie would be able to get through it comfortably without rubbing her back or tummy on the edge. She also likes to stand up when she poos. Its weird, maybe she gets more leverage that way?? lol
I currently use the boxes that have the extra rim around the side that helps from them kicking litter out when they are scratching. One has higher sides then the other. The one with higher sides came with a lid/hood thing but Snuffie hated it. She always smacked at it, once I took it off she was happy so I couldn't even tell you where the lid is now.
They use the deep sided one for #2's and the smaller one for pee's. No I did not train them to do that. lol

We want a Litter Robot one day - its on our wishlist. I'm not sure Snuffie will like it tho since I doubt she can stand up and poo in it.

ktate88

Banned
I have never personally used a top opening litter box. I petsat for a kitty, Faulkner, that had one and he liked it. He is good sized--10-12 pounds. No mess what so ever and they used the pine litter and would dump and clean it once a week. I don't remember the smell being awful.

Niles likes his cleanstep Boodadome. Those stairs do catch a lot of litter!

wanderpus

Lairian
A friend of mine just got the Boodadome and really likes it, too.

I have two older cats, and am worried about convincing them to switch to a new type of litter box, but I really am at my wits' end with the litter tracking EVERYWHERE, and one of my cats digs to China whenever he gets in the box and flings its contents all over. I need a better solution, especially if I'm adding another pooper into the house lol.

TotenEngel

Banned

I have two older cats, and am worried about convincing them to switch to a new type of litter box, but I really am at my wits' end with the litter tracking EVERYWHERE, and one of my cats digs to China whenever he gets in the box and flings its contents all over. I need a better solution, especially if I'm adding another pooper into the house lol.

As I said we have wooden floors and pine litter so there was always a fine layer of litter visible on all our floors, I swept and then 5 minutes later it would be back again!! (we have dark wooden floors!!)
I LOVE LOVE LOVE our boodadome!!! Though make sure you sweep the steps down every so often!!
Our boys had a big covered box before so the change wasn't that bad, I did debate if I needed to keep the old one out for a bit but there just wasn't room so I put a bit of dirty litter in it to start them off and had no problems at all :)

Bella07

Banned

I was in a really similar situation as you, just about 2 weeks ago. I used to use 2 regular open litter boxes for my 2 cats (ages 8 and 14) but my Golden kept running up the litter box and eating it's contents....:Hysterical: There was no other place for me to move the box, so I went shopping and found this....

imgres

Is that the Booda Dome? I think it is...well, can't remember. Anyways, I really like it too. My golden can't reach around and eat what's in the box, my cats are using it too, and the steps really help lessen the amount of litter tossed around.

It works, so I like it :ThumbsUp:

Back