Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Torn on what to do... Surgery??

kauna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Joined
Jul 10, 2015
Messages
517
Points
138
Where to start... I am torn on what to do. My oldest pet, Delilah, my rescue pittie, is at least 10+ years old has a torn CCL. She is the only pet that I do not have pet insurance on. The surgery alone is $4,000. My concerns aren't totally about cost although it is a bit of a factor. Should I really put an 11yr old dog through such an extensive procedure? Just the sedated exam alone she didn't do well after. She was very vocal, whining and staring into space and loopy until the middle of the next day. The procedure they are wanting to do is very invasive, where they have to drill into her knee cap and repair the ligament (TPLO). She will have to be on strict bed/crate rest for 8wks post op. No running, jumping, playing, or being allowed on furniture. Currently, she doesn't seem as bothered by her knee. She just acts like an old lady some good days and some limping days. Overall, her demeaner doesn't seem to be affected and she is still playful and happy. So the dreaded question is what would you do?
 

pussiette

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
1,262
Points
208
@kauna so sorry your poor little one. I’d look for options is there physiotherapy or a support brace strapping or alternatives. Hydrotherapy m?

Quality of life and mobility would be my first thoughts.

Supplements for joints and bones too maybe and modify the environment to help her navigate places better.

Thinking of you.
 

Catzzzmeow

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Messages
29,230
Points
673
Gosh it is so hard on our hearts when our babies go through injuries and especially when they are older where there are more things to consider. I often ask my vet outright if it was your baby what would you do? Follow your gut.
 

Yoda mom

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 23, 2012
Messages
18,724
Points
653
hugs n head smooches to sweet Delilah. agree with asking vet outright for her circumstances if it was their baby what they would do and what conservative treatment approach options there are. perhaps even a second opinion at a vet university hospital? following closely for updates
 

Toa and Ross

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 23, 2015
Messages
27,038
Points
643
What a difficult decision to make. Follow your gut. You know Delilah the best. Whatever you decide, your decision will be made with love fod Delilah. So it'll always be the right decision
 

kauna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Joined
Jul 10, 2015
Messages
517
Points
138
Thank you all for your suggestions and kind words! it is not as easy as a decision as one would think. if she were younger then it would be a no brainer for sure to go ahead with the procedure.
 
Top