Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Training My Sphynxies!!!!

danimcd

Lairian
hello everyone!

i am about to become a new cat owner... specifically Canadian Sphynx!
i am truly excited and honored to be part of this breed!!

done months and months of research on them and i am getting my two lovelys in the new year. i've always had dogs, specifically beagles... so i know training comes with lots of hard work!

what i am looking for it tips on train the sphynx...

i have read they are fast learners and very smart... so that's very encouraging.
here are a few things i am looking to get help with in terms of training:

1. not counter jumping
2. biting, i know they do it in soft play, but i just want to make sure they don't bite new people etc
3. scratch safe zones / toys - i am going to have a post or board in every room! lol but to make sure they use them is the big one!
4. maybe a few tricks??? i'v always had dogs so i thought it would be neat to train my little ones if i could.
5. leash train? i know this doesn't make a bunch of sense, but in the warmer months i'd like to expend some of their energy by walking with them in the beautiful parks and paths we have localy... i'll make sure they have all the proper meds first so they don't catch and deadly squirl diseases lol

any other tips you have would be greatly apreciated!!!

i wish everyone on the forum a safe and happy holidayseason, and a very happy new year!!!

Dani

danimcd

Lairian
oh yes...and
6. making them comfortable around other animals, dogs and cats... easy transitioning tips just in case

TotenEngel

Banned
For jumping on counter tops (and other places he shouldn't be!) I've been using compressed air for Smeagol, every time he's somewhere he shouldn't be I just give it a quick blast and he jumps down pretty sharp-ish! That combined with lots of fuss and praise when he does get down seems to be doing the trick!
Never had to do it for scratching as he uses the post the big boys do! but I imagine would also do the trick!
As far as leash training goes, I pop Smeagols harness on him every few days or so (not going anywhere in a foot of snow atm!) but at least he gets used to wearing it and when it hopefully thaws I'll start taking him out on it again!
As far as tricks go, he is quite happy to play fetch with a screwed up bit of paper! (something we never taught him to do!)
Personally, I think a lot of it is getting them used to things at a young age (even though Smeagol still HATES bathtime!!)

Good luck and can't wait to see some pics :D

lawgrl

Lairian
Congratulations! You're gonna have so much fun...2 babies at once!

I can't help with the counter jumping thing...ours are soooo spoiled, they pretty much go where they want!:LOL: Having scratching posts around should help prevent them scratching where they shouldn't.

The leash thing should be pretty easy. Both of ours took to a harness and leash naturally (I'd recommend a soft harness rather than a collar) and love to go for walks outside. I started with them when they were both pretty young but they had no trouble at all.

Getting them to be comfortable around other animals should also be pretty easy. Sphynx are generally very friendly, with people and other animals. Choppy and our daschund are bff. I think the key is to have them around as many other animals as possible when they're little. Same goes for people and places. I take ours to Petsmart as close to once a week as possible. I've been taking them out to stores and in the car since they were babies, so they're very used to it, and now they actually enjoy going in the car and to the store (they love all the attention they get).

Good luck! They really are great...you're going to have so much fun!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I would google each of those things your wanting to train on as they can get indepth. I'd also invest in a gallon of treats and a clicker! lol

Goodluck - they are very smart kitties and most of the things your looking to train on will come quickly. I can't wait to hear about your success.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sphynx are very smart. Consistency and positive reinforcements go a long way. Its never too early to try forming the habits you want them to have. As a future pet assisted therapy cat, I wanted Gleek to feel safe and comfortable in his carrier so I used it as his bed from the moment he arrived. He doesn't sleep in it much anymore but he doesn't ever cry or run from his carrier.

danimcd

Lairian
wow that all sounds awesome!
i will definately keep everyone posted on their training!
i am going to get plenty of treats as they are on sale right now!! woot!
and i didn't know the clicker worked for cats to! that is very exciting!
i was thinking about having one or both of mine as therapy cats too but i don't know how much spare time i would be able to give... not for the training but for actually going to the places. only because i will be going back to school soon.

but i still want to train them like they are therapy cats. i really do eventually want to take them into places like ronald mcdonald house or the childrens oncology unit here in town.
in anycase hanks so much! & keep the tips coming! i really appreciate all the advice!
and videos too as its always fun to watch the work in process!!!

Dani

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
what i am looking for it tips on train the sphynx...

i have read they are fast learners and very smart... so that's very encouraging.
here are a few things i am looking to get help with in terms of training:

1. not counter jumping
2. biting, i know they do it in soft play, but i just want to make sure they don't bite new people etc
3. scratch safe zones / toys - i am going to have a post or board in every room! lol but to make sure they use them is the big one!
4. maybe a few tricks??? i'v always had dogs so i thought it would be neat to train my little ones if i could.
5. leash train? i know this doesn't make a bunch of sense, but in the warmer months i'd like to expend some of their energy by walking with them in the beautiful parks and paths we have localy... i'll make sure they have all the proper meds first so they don't catch and deadly squirl diseases lol

any other tips you have would be greatly apreciated!!!

Dani

Hi, and congrats. You're gonna love your cats.

I know owners of sphynxes often call them smart but sphynx is not a smart cat breed. Sure they are not idiots but other breeds are normally smarter. They are very affectionate though. And sure you can train them for some stuff but since they are a little challenged when it comes to raw intelligence I would say that it is easier to tech them what NOT to do than make them do stuff on command. Even that is possible with some sphynxes but again, you'd have better success with other breeds usually.

1. No problems, taught both mine that in 2-3 days. It's a "Not do thing"
2. They wont bite people so no need to trazin them in that. As you say they nibble a bit when playing sometimes but that's just a cat. Some do and some don't. A visitor that starts playing with them should accept he/she is playing with a cat and you can tell them he wont bite hard if they ask about the soft bites when playing. Out of play they will never bite if situation is normal.
3. Put in the scratching poles at same time you get cat. He will use them and not other places because they are nicer to scratch. If they do scratch something else you can teach them not to, especially if you start at young age. "Not to do-training" is not that hard normally.
4. That will be harder but with a lot of treats and patience you can maybe teach them a few tricks, but remember. Contrary to what many loving owners say: These are not smart cats. They are smart compared to many pets but other breeds of cats are smarter than sphynxes more often than not.
5. They will respond well to leach-training, especielly if you start early. Not always though, some cats never accept it but with sphynxes normally they do. These are cats that LOVE to be close to you and they usually love random people and even dogs and other cats so if they get to choose between coming with you or staying home alone they will choose going with you.

Not to forget:
They are individuals so it's not always as I said but I find the sphynx breed to be very homgeneous when it comes to how they behave so in most cases they will act about as I said here...

About techniques for training them what not to do.
I (not everybody) teach my cats a word in a tone of voice that I only use when they do something they can't do. Now I am swedish so my word wont make any sence to you guys but it can be anything. Like "No!" or whatever. As long as you use it in a tone that wont be used in normal conversation.
You will need to associate this word with something the cat does not like though, once that is done he/she will remember it for the rest of it's life and the word will be enough. In the beginning you need to do both the thing the cat dislikes and at the sane time use the word. Always together, a cat is not a dog so training it takes a lot more consistancy.

I tap them on the nose, not hard but enough for them not to like it and at the same time use my word. You can use compressed air or water also. I do not like to use water though as if you scare a cat with water once he will never forget it and baths becomes an even bigger task.

After about 5-20 times they have associated the word with the feeling and you will never have to do anything but use the word again. If you don't get an exceptionally stupid cat that is, I've had two of those and they had to be retaught now and then. The ones I have now learned in a couple of days and even if I forget catfood on the counter or on tables at night and go to sleep they wont touch it.
Wherever they wanna go is ok but not kitchen/sofa-table and kitchen counters and they know it so they don't. I also don't let them jump into my lap if I am eating.

Stuff like that is easy to teach cats, tricks are harder but possible within reason and as I said, doing it with a sphynx does not make the task easier. :Wink:

Good luck with your babies.