Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Transitioning to a raw food diet?

nakeyblue

Lairian
Hi guys :) we have fed Blue the same brand/flavor food for about 6 months. He has always loved it. Recently, he is refusing it. We think he is sick of it and wants something new because we gave him a different brand/flavor from our local pet store and he ate it. However, it's difficult because other brands we have tried gives him a rash around his butt. So we always stuck with the Weruva because he liked it and he never reacted from it.

Now that we are looking for new flavors, I want to also consider a raw diet. Can you guys tell me your experiences with transitioning from canned food to raw diet? And what are the pros/cons for their diet?
He is also eating dry food in addition to the wet until he is a year old. I have seen either not to mix or be careful about timing with mixing a diet of raw and dry food. Thank you for any insight!!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Yes don’t mix them. You’d be ok to feed one in the morning and the other at night, but why? Raw is far superior.

When we went raw we did a mix of raw and canned for a few weeks.
1 week 25% raw 75% wet
2 week 50% raw 50% wet
3 week 75% raw 25% wet
Then 100 % raw

They are so much healthier and their bowels are better and don’t smell. Hairy cats shed less, naked cats produce less oil. It’s just better.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

nakeyblue

Lairian
Thank you so much for the resource and timeline!! I definitely want to do what is best for Blue.

Do you personally supplement with any other vitamins? and since the transition from wet to raw includes both, would it be okay to still give wet treats such as those puree treat sticks even when eating fully raw for meals?

Sheldon13

Staff member
Oh yes you can still give wet anytime. Treats or otherwise.

I used Alnutrin in my homemade raw. There are other options out there. Just make sure it’s specifically for raw food recipes. I also supplemented with fish oil.

Sheldon13

Staff member

Yay!
Welcome to raw.

I like Instinct brand canned but I dig out the peas and carrots.

Back