Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Travel crates

English Dave

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Some of you might already know that Ra and I will be heading over the pond back to England and if you didn't, you do now :LOL:

Anyway, that said, does anyone have a link to where I can buy a travel crate for my baby that's approved for international flights?

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Dave, are you carrying your cat with you on the cabin or having him placed in cargo during the flight?

If it's the former, I really like the Sherpa pet carriers....they are the original pet carriers and still the best, in my opinion. The lady who created these soft-sided bags was a flight attendant, so all of the Sherpa bags are approved for airline travel.

Here's more info on the Sherpa pet carriers: http://www.sherpapet.com/

You can order them on that site, or on petco.com or amazon.com. Sometimes you can find them on sale in the PetCo stores.

Sherpa bags are not the cheapest pet carriers out there, but just to give you an idea of the quality of these bags: I've had the Sherpa bag I use for my geriatric Siamese cat Sydney for over 15 years and it's still in great shape. Reno, my male Siamese, and Piglet, my sphynx, also have their own Sherpa bags now.

If you are looking for wire or hard-sided crates for travel in cargo, check out http://www.petcratesdirect.com/

Last edited:

English Dave

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
As far as I know he can only go cargo for the international bit of my trip which isn't what I'd like but unless they've changed things that's the only option I was given.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have had cats shipped to me from the breeders.
They were in the hard sided carriers.
What airline are you using?
My husband worked for a airline and knows all the shipping rules for cats.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The top has to be hard too, so don't get one with a wire grid/ window on top. Who are you flying with? Most airlines have recommended guidelines for what they will/ will not accept.

Get a carrier with a little legroom, so that Ra has room to stretch. Also use zip ties (think that's the name?) to secure the crate all away around for peace of mind, so your not worrying about the catches coming lose.

Hope you have a safe trip.

English Dave

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for all the input guys! I haven't finalized a flight yet (long story but basically I'm sick and things that used to take a minute or so seem to drag on for hours) but, its most likely to be American airlines.

susi794

Staff member
Wow..no warm blooded animals into the UK--what's with that? Is that the same for all the airlines?

English Dave

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wonder why? Is it some regulation that's coming from the UK?

The UK doesn't have rabies so I'm guessing its related to that but, you can go through the pet passport scheme or use quarantine so I'm not sure what the deal is...

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks! It won't be for at least another month as its taking me forever to tie up everything here but I'm both nervous and excited about going home after 12 years!

Yeah I realized after posting that "trip" doesn't really cover an international move. :Hysterical: I don't blame you, it is a big move and with Ra to worry about.

Also, feel better!

Back