Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Travel Help with Sphynx cat!

saintbabby

Lairian
So late this month I'm going to KY on a roadtrip to pick up my black tortie girl.. finally! the trip back to OK is a concern for me. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on how to keep this cat from freaking out on the ride back? also, i need to know what to do about the litter situation. the poor thing is gonna need to be able to take pee breaks.

Any ideas?

I'm not going to be alone, so I'll have a little help if I need it, I just dont want to seem like an idiot in front of the breeder with my setup for transporting the cat. I wanna look like im serious about this! cause I am! :ThumbsUp:

Last edited by a moderator:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Travel... Help!

Well i dont think you have to be worried what she thinks of your kitty skills!LOL If you are by yourself i would recommend a carrier, most of the people who bought our kittens we reccomend a nice small blanket to wrap them up in while one or the other holds them. you could try a portable litter box (its been talked about here, just search it) but generally speaking they dont pee or poop during travel. but if they do just deal with it and bring what you need to be prepared! 2 blankets, a towel, some wipes, roll of paper towels, rubber gloves, garbage bag all purpose cleaner, and fabreeze. (i just noticed something, i think i just gave you instructions on what you need to bring to a homicide scene)LOL :LOL::LOL:
Good luck!

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

When i picked up the boys ( separately of course) I had a carrier with a blanket in it for them.... they were not fond of being in their! :Woo: My father was with me when I picked up Kramer & he is a TALKER so he bitched for about 10 minutes & we took him out since it was driving up nuts & the slept in my lap the whole way home. Newman I was by myself & didn't even attempt the carrier & he slept in my lap the whole way home. Both drives were about 5 - 5 1/2 hours. About a 1/2 hour before I reached the destination I did spray the blanket with Feliway just incase they were nervous.

Brooke

Banned

The longest I've had my sphynxes in the car in one stretch is about 3 hours and they just slept most of the way in their carriers, except Helen barfed one time...(thank you, Burger King, for letting me use your parking lot to clean up cat vomit). Baby blankets are warm and soft and small - perfect for stuffing into carriers, btw.

But, I did drive a furred cat in the cab of a U-Haul for 8 hours with me once. She just sat on a pillow next to me the whole time. I also had my dog in the U-Haul, so whenever I would stop for his potty breaks, I would leave her in the cab to wander around and had a water bowl and litter box there in case she wanted to use it. She never used it the whole trip!

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian

Well, you could Google Sturdi Shelters. They make pop up show enclosures but also have a version for car travel. They come single or double. With a double, you can put a litter box on one side and use the other side for bedding. I'm just not sure a single road trip justifies the price. Could you maybe look for an inexpensive dog crate that would allow a little litter box?

I would definitely take something to secure the kitty even if you don't use it. The last thing you want is to get there and have nothing and have a breeder say he/she won't let the kitten travel without a safe enclosure.

Oh...a black tortie! Do you have pictures????

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

When I drove up to New York which is about a 5-6 hour drive one way, to get Meecho I had a carrier and a litter box set up for her. She never went in her carrier because my mother wouldn't let go of her(I think trying to make Meecho think she was hers :Angry:) and she never used the litter box. Now I take Meecho out about every weekend or every other weekend and I have a car seat for her and I always keep a disposable litter box for her. I've gotten her car seat and disposable litter box both at petsmart. I also keep a blanket in her car seat and treats and food and always bring a tupperware of fresh water.

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

When I got maggie we made a roadtrip out of it it was me my bf my brother & his girlfriend!!! The trip was 12 hrs there & 12 back Maggie was fine I brought food & water she ate & drank she played (I brought toys) I kept the litter box in the trunk & when we took a potty break I put her in the litter box & she did # 1 & #2!!! I was so proud of her she only needed to go once. So she played & slept it was a good trip!!!

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Well i dont think you have to be worried what she thinks of your kitty skills!LOL If you are by yourself i would recommend a carrier, most of the people who bought our kittens we reccomend a nice small blanket to wrap them up in while one or the other holds them. you could try a portable litter box (its been talked about here, just search it) but generally speaking they dont pee or poop during travel. but if they do just deal with it and bring what you need to be prepared! 2 blankets, a towel, some wipes, roll of paper towels, rubber gloves, garbage bag all purpose cleaner, and fabreeze. (i just noticed something, i think i just gave you instructions on what you need to bring to a homicide scene)LOL :LOL::LOL:
Good luck!

Haha! lol

When I went to go pick up Kreacher, it was only a two hour drive for us. So all I had was a nice snuggly blanket. Kreacher just slept the whole way :)

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Can I add a question on to this thread? Well were all talking about traveling. When my husband goes out to sea, I usually fly up to Connecticut to stay with family for a little while. Has anyone ever taken thier Sphynx on a plane? And what requirements were needed from the airline..and how easy/hard was it? Did you give your kitty anything to calm him/her down? I'd like to take Kreacher with me, but not sure if I can, or if it would be really difficult?

Brooke

Banned

Can I add a question on to this thread? Well were all talking about traveling. When my husband goes out to sea, I usually fly up to Connecticut to stay with family for a little while. Has anyone ever taken thier Sphynx on a plane? And what requirements were needed from the airline..and how easy/hard was it? Did you give your kitty anything to calm him/her down? I'd like to take Kreacher with me, but not sure if I can, or if it would be really difficult?

I've never flown with my cats, but there are many airlines that will let you carry them on the plane with you as long as they stay in the carrier and it can fit underneath the seat. (Actually, the last flight I took -to Connecticut as a matter of fact- there was a small dog on the plane!). If you're concerned about Kreacher being hyper or nervous on the flight, your vet can prescribe a mild sedative you can give him and then he'll probably just sleep the whole time. The price to fly with him in the cabin varies from $75 to $150 depending on the airline.

PitRottMommy

Banned

So late this month I'm going to KY on a roadtrip to pick up my black tortie girl.. finally! the trip back to OK is a concern for me. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on how to keep this cat from freaking out on the ride back? also, i need to know what to do about the litter situation. the poor thing is gonna need to be able to take pee breaks.

Any ideas?

I'm not going to be alone, so I'll have a little help if I need it, I just dont want to seem like an idiot in front of the breeder with my setup for transporting the cat. I wanna look like im serious about this! cause I am! :ThumbsUp:

Are you going up through Missouri or over through Arkansas? I'd presume the Arkansas way, but we wound up taking the trip to get Buffy and Buck from the Louisville, Ky rescue up through Missouri because it was at the top of the state. Anyhow! We brought a dog kennel and a catbox with a bag of litter. The cats rode well in the kennel on the way and we didn't even have to use the litterbox until we made it to our hotel room.

When Baldwin was driven from Ky to Ok for deliver to us, the guy said he rode the whole way on his shoulder. I don't recommend this type of travel because the cat can easily get under the foot pedals and become injured...but it says something about Theresa's cats. I think you'll be fine with the standard amenities in a car. I'd certainly bring a blanket to let the cat snuggle in. Theresa's good about getting you set up with everything you need for your departure. She always takes pictures of new owners too, for her webpage. Make sure not to come in PJ's unless you want that seen by the nation! lol.

PitRottMommy

Banned

your vet can prescribe a mild sedative you can give him and then he'll probably just sleep the whole time. The price to fly with him in the cabin varies from $75 to $150 depending on the airline.

I've recently been notified that airlines are no longer allowing sedated pets. Apparently there've been some issues in the past with pets that have had poor reactions to acepromazine and other "generally rx'd" sedatives and now airlines are refusing to take pets that are acting drugged.

It's worth looking in to before asking your vet to rx any sedative, but I'll bet they're getting the same stories we are. Most airline ask for a certficate of health and vaccinations before flights.

I know when Jason and I were looking to fly to Ky to pick up Buffy and Buck (we wound up driving), we were told that Continential would only allow 1 pet per COUPLE. Because they were over 6 months of age, we couldn't put them in the same kennel together and would have had to have paid an extra $150 to have the second carrier. It was just a bunch of crap that kept coming at us from the airline...so we chose to drive to Ky instead of flying.

ETA: If by chance it winds up that you find an airline down with sedatives and your vet rx's them...give them a go 'round before the trip. Actually, do it about 3 days before the trip so you know what to expect. And, if nothing else, keep in mind that benadryl has the same sedative effect as alot of other sedatives...without the lasting affect. Our secret ;)

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian

I never heard of the airline restricting one pet per couple. That's ridiculous! So, if you are a couple, one of you has given up your rights as an individual passenger? That's so dumb if you ask me! LOL

Years ago, airlines used to have a max # of animals allowed in the cabin. On some smaller planes it was 1, on larger planes 1 in first class and 1 in coach, and on the jumbo jets sometimes 1 first class and 2 in coach. The trick was that they'd only let you book one pet and held the second slot open for walk ups. I haven't flown with an animal in over 5 years so I'm sure much has changed.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I 'll be flying Delta with Sophie on Wednesday. I was able to purchase my ticket online then had to call up stating I'd be traveling with a pet (so they won't exceed the max # of pets per cabin). It will cost $100 at the time of check in. Their website was pretty clear on their requirements (http://www.delta.com/planning_reser...avel_information/pet_travel_options/index.jsp). Hopefully everything will go as smooth as the planning has so far. :Sweat:

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I 'll be flying Delta with Sophie on Wednesday. I was able to purchase my ticket online then had to call up stating I'd be traveling with a pet (so they won't exceed the max # of pets per cabin). It will cost $100 at the time of check in. Their website was pretty clear on their requirements (http://www.delta.com/planning_reser...avel_information/pet_travel_options/index.jsp). Hopefully everything will go as smooth as the planning has so far. :Sweat:

Wow! Thanks! I always fly through Delta too so this is really good info! Thank ya'll

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

My Willow travelled all over in both car and plane. She never went potty in the car although I put a small disposable litter pan on the floor in the back seat. She would wait till we got to the hotel and I would put out her food, water, litter box, and toys. Then she would do her business. She neer went in a kennel except to transfer to room. When we flew She went under the seat in front of me. The vet told me I could give her benadryl to make her sleepy but she never needed it. BTW I covered a regular pillow with fleece and left a large square of fleece attached on one side so it could be flipped over her when she sat on her pillow. She loved her car pillow!

Anna W

Lairian
I recently traveled by plane with my two Sphynx. I thought I'd share my success story.
The first time on a plane, my girl was great. My boy however freaked out and broke through his soft sided carrier. It was a nightmare for everyone!
This time was great. Here is what I did.
Used Feliway in their carriers and put them out for the cats to play in two weeks before we traveled.
One hour before travel I gave each cat 6 drops of Bachs Rescue Remedy for cats.
One hour before travel I put my boy in a thundershirt. And a sweater on my girl.
I used snuggle safe warmers and baby blankets in their carriers.
5 hours into the trip, as they got restless I gave 2 drops of Rescue Remedy to each cat.
The trip was about 11 hours total from car to plane to house.
Total success!

Back