Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Traveling with sphynx cats?

JessLynn

Lairian
Hi everyone,
I am headed home to my parents house later this week and am taking Belza with me. It will probably end up being about a 6 to 6.5 hour drive with all of the snowy roads. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what to do with her? I already have a kennel she will be in, but should I bring her food and water in the car so she can eat and drink whenever? What about a litter box?
Any suggestions you have from past experience ect. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I do shows sometimes that are over 6.5 hours away.
They do not get a litter pan but I put food in the carriers with them so they can eat then when we stop to fill up I give them water.
I have never had a cat go to the bathroom on any trip.
Just be careful the carriers are closed tightly.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Got it covered!

How to prepare for a trip with your Sphynx cat

Here are some helpful tips on what to bring on a trip or outing with your Sphynx cat to assure their comfortable and safe:

1. The first thing before even leaving the house is to always be sure to have a good quality leash and harness which fits your Sphynx properly. It’s best to put on the harness and leash before leaving the house so you always have something to hold the cat securely if needed.

2. Bring a pet carrier that is the proper size for your Sphynx cat to be comfortable in if he or she needs to remain in the carrier for short or long periods of time. There will be times that you will want to put your Sphynx in the carrier to enjoy yourself without having to worry about your Sphynx being in danger or stressed out.

3. We all know our Sphynx cats drink lots of water so be sure to purchase a pair of pet travel bowls for water and food. Always bring a couple of spring water bottles with you on your outing, there is no such thing as too much water.

4. A must have for travel is a disposable litter box, which can be found at most local pet stores. Your cat can use
these litter boxes for the day and then dispose of them after your trip.

5. Be sure that where ever you bring your Sphynx cat, whether to a park or another home with pets, that these animals your Sphynx cat comes in contact with are healthy pets. There may be other pets or outside cats that
may not be healthy or up to date with their shots. Be sure that your Sphynx cat is also up to date with all shots and has had his or her vet check up before traveling to be sure he or she is healthy as well.

6. A few other items you should bring are:

1. A few blankets. (just incase it gets chilly.)
2. sunscreen (we all know Sphynx can become sunburn.)
3. treats
4. Your Sphynx favorite toys.
5. baggies (good for disposing your Sphynx poops and pees.)
6. baby wipes (to clean up any mess or your Sphynx kitty.)

Important: As always check with your vet first, and make sure all products are pet safe!

Also can be found here:
here How to prepare for a trip with your Sphynx cat | The Sphynx Cat

and here http://www.sphynxlair.com/f53/how-prepare-trip-your-sphynx-cat-3196/

Hope this helps!

JessLynn

Lairian
:ThumbsUp: Thank you for all of the great advice! I appreciate it! I feel more comfortable now that I know what to bring. I'll have to go out and purchase a few more things for Belza before we leave on Thursday. Thanks again, and have a Merry Christmas everyone! :Smile:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
6.5h drive is not difficult nor hard for the cat.
He have you close by all the time and noone else.
He wont have to use the litterbox or eat.
Most cats don't even drink during a 6h drive.

However, things might not go as expected so natrually you need to have food, water and a litterbox with you. Car can break down or whatever.

I go on trips like that often with my cats and have earlier taken 15h car trips regulary with the cats and even on 15h trips most of the time they didn't use the box (!)

If the trip goes as planned you'll have no problems but you need to plan for the unexpected.
What if I have to stay for a day somewhere?
Then bring stuff that would be needed for such an eventuality.

That's it really

bellasmom

Banned
I can only take Bella about 20 min in the car because she gets car sick!!! I dont know what it is... she starts yowling in the carrier and then throws up after being in the car about 30 min. I have noticed if someone else is driving and she can be out of the cage and sit on my lap she is fine. So yes bring lots of paper towels.... I even bring lysol wipes. Have a safe Christmas!!!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I take all my cats to my parents house and they do great in the car. When I just had Danser though I would put one if those microwave ceramic disks in under her blankies. She traveled in a slightly larger carrier so I wasn't worried about overheating. But we traveled in Michigan winters a lot and if I had to stop at least she would still be warm. Hope your parents love their grandcat! My Dad would steal Loki if he could.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use a small tupperware box with a tight fitting lid for litter, and keep it in the trunk. Your cat will meow a frantic or upsetting meow if they really have to go to the bathroom, and then you just stop the car and put the litter on the floor of the car and see if they want to use it.
For food you may want to stop a few hours in and offer them some kibbles and then take the food away after 5 mins if they are done or dont eat. Same with offering water.
You can tell they are thirsty if they are licking your hands a lot, Nofuratu does that when he's thirsty. I bring a bottle of water with a larger size lid and just pour some into the lid and he drinks from it. He's so used to that that if he is thirsty and he sees me holding a water bottle he will lick his lips LOL...then I know he wants some.
Your cats prob wont eat or drink or use the bathroom on a 6 hour trip, but keep it all handy anyway!
Good luck!
Adventures of A Naked Cat

TotenEngel

Banned
I actually have bird bowls for the last long journey I did, you know the ones with the little hooks on? I half filled it with water and hooked it onto the front door of the carrier.
When I moved 7 years ago it was about 7 hours, mainly on motorway and no fun with 3 boys :S
And we shall be moving next year, but at least it'll only be an hour or so this time!!

JessLynn

Lairian
Hey everyone! Belza and I made it to my parents house safely! And I had no problems with her. She's such a good kitty. The only thing she did was meow because she was mad and bored sitting in the car for that long. Thanks for all the advice again guys it served us well. Belza and I wish you guys Merry Christmas and hope you all have a happy, health New Year! :ThumbsUp:

Gizzymom

Banned
Hey everyone! Belza and I made it to my parents house safely! And I had no problems with her. She's such a good kitty. The only thing she did was meow because she was mad and bored sitting in the car for that long. Thanks for all the advice again guys it served us well. Belza and I wish you guys Merry Christmas and hope you all have a happy, health New Year! :ThumbsUp:

Merry Christmas to you and Belza!!! Enjoy your trip!!:ThumbsUp: