Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Travelling Away from Sphynx

jtkirk

Lairian
I've been looking to get a sphynx for a while now, and I've been delaying up to this point because my partner and I are planning on purchasing a much larger unit, and I didn't really want to get a kitten and then move a month later. Aside from this though, I've been stressing about whether our lifestyle will be too hard on a sphynx. We travel internationally a significant amount, lets say for 2 weeks every other month or so (average of 10-12 weeks per year). I wish we could take her with us everywhere, but that's obviously unrealistic with the 12-14 hour flight from Australia to the US.

My question to you all is what you think would be the best way to handle this. I know sphynx are very people loving/needy cats, and I would not want to board her as I feel that can be pretty stressful. Would it be best to find a friend or family member to stay in our home with the cat while we are away? Should we find someone else in the Brisbane area who would be happy to play the adoptive family role while we are away? We are even considering renting out a room to someone we trust just so that someone is there when we are away. Very open to suggestions - I have fallen in love with this breed but I am so stressed that being away from home so much could be a dealbreaker. Would really love to find a way to make it work. If it helps, when we are home, I am literally home ALL THE TIME as I work entirely from home. Thanks all, look forward to your input

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wish I could help you out a bit more but I have only had my boy for a month or so. But I'm sure other members will chime in.

If it came to you ever needing a babysitter if our babies got along my partner and I would definitely consider it :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Great to see you're really thinking it through.
I know some members here travel a lot also and take their sphynx with them the plane. If your sphynx can be with you in the plane and can handle it, it shouldn't be a problem. Hope the members that travel a lot will chime in. @Maddie am I right that it's you that travels by plane regulary?

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I do! But my flight is only an hour, but the whole travel day is about 6 hours. If you worked up to the travelling it could be done if your kitty is cool with it. Astrid loves traveling so it works well.
Just make sure they aren't places who quarantine if you take the kitty and that the kitty is under the seat. Usually costs about 50$/way.
If you don't take the kitty I would suggest leaving em with someone. My girl is fine flipping houses, gets no distress, so that's what I'd do. But if your kitty freaks moving house to house you'd need someone to go to your place

Back