Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Treating scratches on sphynx?

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey everyone! It's been about a week since I've been on. I've been Sphynx Lair deprived!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to treat scratches on your sphynx? Stella has had plenty in the past few months from play fighting with her big sister. I've tried making sure they're clean and all, but she won't allow them to heal properly because she continues to rough house with the big sister (she always starts it, too!). I try to break up as many play fights as I can while she's trying to heal, but I can't do anything about it when I'm gone or sound asleep. And I know they're just play fights because I can always tell when Stella and Izzy get into that playful mode. Poor thing looks battered on her underside! :( Any advise will sure be appreciated!

Brooke

Banned
I've got the same problem...Walter and Nelson are both covered in scratches. Okay, Walter has a lot more than Nelson, so we know who the instigator is... I figure there's not much I can do about it. They are all light scratches, nothing serious, but I just keep an eye on them and make sure they stay clean. Can't really put anything on there that they won't lick off and they heal up within a couple of days.

They aren't bothered by them at all. I bet Stella doesn't seem to care either, does she?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
If it is just A little scratch and not bleeding I would just leave it be, if you are real worried clean it with betadine solution. If it is large and won't stop bleeding clean with betadine and then seal it closed with A antibiotic ointment.
This worked like A charm when we had Max and him and Leo where ripping each other apart!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use neosporin for cuts and scratches.
It works great
Cleo has got scratched before shows and the neosporin healed the cuts and scratches very fast.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Great info so far. I just let scratches heal on their own. Cats have skin that closes amazingly fast (that's why they get abscesses so easily, the top dermal layer closes over bacteria filled wounds and creates an abscess).

If you cannot find Betadine as previously mentioned (and will color a cat's skin), try an antibacterial soap with the active ingredient Triclosan. Chlorahexaderm (chlorahexadine) is also wonderful on wounds.

Go lightly on the Neosporin with wounds, too much can cause diarrhea as the "ointment" in it is petroleum jelly and it will certainly slick things up on its way down.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had to use it at a cat show once because a cat slashed her paw.
I just use a dab and do not let her lick it.

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
Great info so far. I just let scratches heal on their own. Cats have skin that closes amazingly fast (that's why they get abscesses so easily, the top dermal layer closes over bacteria filled wounds and creates an abscess).

This was great to learn! I'm always curious about the "why" behind something so thanks for explaining. :ThumbsUp:

Scratches are something I didn't even think about when I decided to get a Sphynx. I guess there's a little learning curve when it comes to understanding the daily reality of a hairless cat. I'm sure Pagan will teach me everything I need to know once she comes home.

I do keep Chlorhex on hand and always have some diluted in a spray bottle ready to rock and roll. I try to keep the girls nails trimmed to although with two of them it's like a wrestling match.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I should have mentioned this in my first post: We've seriously cut down on scratches by using a dremel on the cat's nails. It takes a few tries for them to realize you're not there to dremel their entire paw off...but they get used to it and it's much easier on everyone. Esp the people who get to be the tree for the climbing sphynx...

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks everyone for your advice! I use Neosporin occasionally, but will switch to one of the other methods previously mentioned. She doesn't seem to mind her battle wounds, but I sure do. Great advice!

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My breeder told me to use Blue Star Antibiotic ointment on any scrapes. I did not follow her advice though after putting some on a scrape on my body. It felt like my scrape was on FIRE! Literally. Even after I washed it off, it burned... :( My advice NEVER use Blue Star ointment on an animal or yourself!

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My breeder told me to use Blue Star Antibiotic ointment on any scrapes. I did not follow her advice though after putting some on a scrape on my body. It felt like my scrape was on FIRE! Literally. Even after I washed it off, it burned... :( My advice NEVER use Blue Star ointment on an animal or yourself!

Do you know if this is similar to the "Liquid Skin" you can put on your cuts and/or scrapes? It's to replace a band aid in areas band aids wouldn't normally stay on. It smells like fingernail polish and makes you question what you just put on yourself. . .that stuff burns too. Works, though.

FYI: I've never used that on Stella nor will I ever. Just thought I'd add that in.

Back