Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Trial run

Inferno12

Banned
Everyone, meet Cooter and Cleatus.....yes you heard me right.......Cooter and Cleatus. I met the boys today and decided that I wanted to give them a trial run! They have lots of manners to learn. They havent been in a car in two years and they havent been on a walk for over a year. They dont care about Johnny at all and Darby has yet to bite a nose. Cooter has some cysts he needs removed and teeth need to be cleaned but thats it. They seem to be good boys here at the house except we are going to need to learn to walk on a leash.

The first thing they did was try to run strait through my glass storm door. I cant belive the thing held up! The second thing they did was drink from the water bowl and proceeded to cover the floor with water and slobber. I am wondering what I got myself into. :Surprise::Surprise:

I have them for a few hours and I can decided If I want to keep them or not. The owner needs to get rid of them by Tuesday. If two dont work out then my buddy (the one who bred them) will take Cooter with im and his 5 danes.

They are extremely protective and they work for ice! Go figure :Dizzy: They have sensitive stomachs but thats nothing new here. My buddy thinks it might be from not being in the best house. I do think I need to break the surprise to Jess if I am considering keeping both of these guys! What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 28

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's one for each of you! But I am still hoping for Tyson, I think there is something special about seniors!

Bella07

Banned
Aawwww! Well I think you know what I'm gonna say, adopt both! They are so handsome and adorable. Awwww, give them a big kiss and cuddle from me. And manners, training, not so bad....it'll be fun. Plus you'll learn to love slobber :Wink: :ThumbsUp:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Aw they look so happy!

It's hard to say what will be best so it's good that you have a trial. But for me I'm so weak that once I had them home I would just say yes.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
They are so pretty. That means alot coming from me as Im not really a dog person. I'm an avid animal lover and I've had dogs before, most of my childhood and for a few years of my adult life. I just cant do doggy drool but I love visiting with them and watching them from afar!!! lol They are gorgeous tho and look really happy. If two doggys cramps the home life a little then you might want to drop a hint to Jess just so she doesn't go into shock when she gets home. lol But it would be a doggy for each of you,,,,decisions decisions!! lol Goodluck!

Last edited:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
They sure are great looking dogs. and you have to do what is best for you and Jess. Keeping both does sound good and what a great thing to rescue both of them. One thing you need to think about is that dogs are a lot of work and sounds like these 2 need tons of extra work because of the past they have had. I know you want a dog for Jess before she gets home but keep in mind Jess will much appreciate a dog that is a great fit to your home and if these guys don't seem like the perfect fit then you should keep looking we all know these things take much more time then we are willing to wait sometimes but the wait almost always pays off in the end.

Hope I don't sound like a downer because I would probably think of doing the same, it is just that when it is someone else you think about it a bit more and come up with a logical answer rather then impulse.

Best of luck deciding.

Inferno12

Banned
Well I broke the news to Jess last night. I think we are going to go with one but not sure which one yet. They people who have ol cleatus and cooter want me to keep them a little longer to see if they will work but I really dont think we need two. I also know for a fact that I cant deal with these guys right now without her. They are good boys though. They leave food alone. they are doing awesome on a leash already, they dont get on the counters....yet!

With that being said, we have picked the one we want out of these two and if they dont want to split them up, then We are going to go for Tyson!

I honestly think these boys will do well split up. Cooter is the one we want to keep and this boy cant function without his brother cleatus. I know it sounds mean but poor cleatus has no confidence on his own. I tried to take him for a walk alone and he freaks out unless he is with Cleatus. Cleatus is definitely the dominant one and I just thing that Cooter has never been able to function as his own self.

Oh and they have started getting curious about Johnny. They are huge and one swipe will hurt him so bad. They get this really strong curious look and Johnny just rolls around on the carpet in front of them. Do you think Johnny would do this if he felt threatened?

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What was Jess's reaction? Is she excited? Can she join the lair now? I still vote Tyson, I think the rewards you get from a senior dog are immeasurable, but if you feel one of these boys fit your lifestyle, well that is super important too! I can't wait to hear the final verdict and to meet Jess!!! Oh and ummmmmmm, are you going to change the name if you keep him? I can just see you at the dog park yelling Cooter!:LOL::LOL::LOL: You may come home with more than the dog, :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Bella07

Banned
Do what is best for your family and for the dogs. If keeping only Cooter is the right way to go for everyone involved, then congratulations!

From what you wrote, have you already put Johnny in the room with the dogs? If I were you, I would keep Johnny separated from the dogs for a few days. Gradually introduce them....I know from experience that this works best!

Johnny rolling on his back near the dogs.....my best bet would be playfullness. If he were scared or feeling threatened, more than likely his ears would be back, wide eyes, tail swishing, and hissing perhaps.

Also remember, Johnny can jump, and he has claws. When my dogs bother my cats, the cats rule. Well, Good Luck and keep us updated!

Oh, and which one is Cooter? The black one or the other one?!

Inferno12

Banned
What was Jess's reaction? Is she excited? Can she join the lair now? I still vote Tyson, I think the rewards you get from a senior dog are immeasurable, but if you feel one of these boys fit your lifestyle, well that is super important too! I can't wait to hear the final verdict and to meet Jess!!! Oh and ummmmmmm, are you going to change the name if you keep him? I can just see you at the dog park yelling Cooter!:LOL::LOL::LOL: You may come home with more than the dog, :LOL::LOL::LOL:

She is super excited about it and she says not to stress about it and whatever decision I make, she will be happy with! She is the best. I told her she will have to join the lair when she gets back.

Yes, I will be changing the name if I keep Cooter! I already am pretty embarassed trying to scold them out on walk by saying Cooter....Cletus.....in a stern voice. Just a little weird and I sure as He** dont want to come home with something more than a dane from the dog park :LOL::LOL::LOL:

BTW...she gets on her first flight in the morning which is in about 8 hours from now. she should be home in about 5 days......YAY...I cant wait:ThumbsUp:

Inferno12

Banned
And if we decide to keep cooter and the old owner is ok with splitting them up, Johnnys breeder is going to give Cletus a trial run! Maybe this was all meant to be??? I still havent heard from the rescue :ThumbsDown::ThumbsDown:

Nair Bare

Lairian
.... I also know for a fact that I cant deal with these guys right now without her.

With that being said, we have picked the one we want out of these two and if they dont want to split them up, then We are going to go for Tyson!

Cooter is the one we want to keep and this boy cant function without his brother cleatus. I know it sounds mean but poor cleatus has no confidence on his own. I tried to take him for a walk alone and he freaks out unless he is with Cleatus. Cleatus is definitely the dominant one and I just thing that Cooter has never been able to function as his own self.

Great Danes are an extremely sensitive breed. If these boys were raised together and obviously NEED each other, it may not be wise to seperate them. Their doggy attachments are strong and long. When we lost Fog to cancer, his brother Snortgurgle took almost a year to return to normal behavior. Watching Snort trying to make that adjustment just broke our hearts. Tyson might be your best choice if you can not take on this loving Team.

From always having multiple Great Danes, there are some advantages in keeping them together. They will wear each other out and this will keep both of them out of trouble. But if this pair has bonded together, and from your description, this has happened, it would not be in their best interests to seperate them now.

And remember most Great Danes leave their puppy antics behind at around two years of age and soon become "sofa slugs" or "couch potatoes". Two Sofa Slugs are not difficult at all.

Just a few more sleeps and Jess will be home!!!!! YAY!!!! I can't wait to meet her on the Lair!

I know you will make the right decision for your family and you will take the needs of the pups in mind as well. I think I am with Gadz on this one...I would kind of like to see you with the "ol' boy". for some reason, I just get the feeling he would be at home with you all!

What a decision to have to make. I don't envy you in that.

Inferno12

Banned
Just a few more sleeps and Jess will be home!!!!! YAY!!!! I can't wait to meet her on the Lair!

I know you will make the right decision for your family and you will take the needs of the pups in mind as well. I think I am with Gadz on this one...I would kind of like to see you with the "ol' boy". for some reason, I just get the feeling he would be at home with you all!

What a decision to have to make. I don't envy you in that.

I think Tyson is going to another home which makes me sad. I really wanted to evaluate how he would do here but the website says his profile is out and I havent heard from them at all. That means someone is looking at giving him a home. Maybe it was meant to be that the other boys came into my life. They are with their old owners this weekend while I think some more. I think we are going to try to split them up and Johnnys breeder is going to take Cleatus on a trial basis. If they dont do well apart or he doesnt fit in their home, then I will keep them both until we can figure out a home for them. Their "dad" is so heartbroken over having to get rid of them and I want to help him out. He has to move on Tuesday so I dont want him to have to worry about getting rid of them to someone he doesnt know. I am going to take them back on Monday and we will go from there. I am really falling in love with the fawn boy Cooter. he is so sweet and he loves Johnny. He pushes Johnny around with his big head in an attempt to play and it kind of scares Johnny right now. I think he might be the perfect fit if they do ok apart. We will see!

I am still holding out hope that I get a shot at looking at Tyson living here....

Back