Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Tricks For Getting Kitties To Eat Wet Food

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So, the vet wants Astrid to eat wet food 1-2 times a week just incase she ever has kidney problems and that is all she can eat. He's had too many cats refusing to eat so he rather get all kitties used to it just to be safe.

I have tried three different meats so far (salmon, venison and kangaroo) and two different brands. Two were pate and one was stew (looks more like kibble so thought it'd be a go). But Astrid will not go near any of it. (The puppy on the other hand... well that's another story... let's just say he loves kangaroo lol I'm surprised there was paint left in the bowl the amount he was licking it)

She won't even eat kibble that has touched it/been in the same bowl. She apparently would not go near it for the breeder either. She does not spit it out when I put some on my finger and put it up her lip though.. she licks it out and eats it no problem.

The problem is getting her to eat the wet food by herself... Any suggestions?

I will try other brands and flavours but it's just weird that she will eat it if it's in her mouth, so thought I'd ask before I buy more, since she doesn't seem to mind the taste.

Bonus picture of Astrid! Lol this is her "what do you mean I can't drink your water look?"
IMG_1821.JPG

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe put wet in the bowl and sprinkle a little kibble on top so she eats both might work in helping her get used to the texture.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Catzzzmeow will have to try that again maybe. Last time I did it she kept her face as far away from the bowl as possible and looked at it as if to say "what did you do to my food?!"

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Maddie Astrid is a princess, no doubt about that:). Picky on what she eats. And that's no wet food. Is Astrid interested in what you eat? Does she want your food? If so you could try pretending you eat the wet food so it turn out to be something she really wants to have. You probably going to laugh, I know...it's too funny but a friend of mine did this with her cat and now the cat eats wet food like it's the most delicious thing he ever did eat.

Theedaysleeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Maddie Astrid is a princess, no doubt about that:). Picky on what she eats. And that's no wet food. Is Astrid interested in what you eat? Does she want your food? If so you could try pretending you eat the wet food so it turn out to be something she really wants to have. You probably going to laugh, I know...it's too funny but a friend of mine did this with her cat and now the cat eats wet food like it's the most delicious thing he ever did eat.
I've had good luck with pretending pet food is people food. My newfie dog is a picky eater. He won't eat his food unless I put it on the stove and "cook it". I pretend to stir it and everything. Works like a charm ;)(y)

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well, Princess Picky still won't eat the wet food lol. I even put some treats on top of a tiny bit of food and she looked at me like a tried to poison her. This is when I wish she had a little bit of an interest in human food! Then at least trying to trick her might be a bit easier. Time to try another brand I guess, I have given her Koha, Nutrients and Iams

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Have you tried sprinkling fortiflora on it? I know it isn't maybe what you want... but try a smidge of Fancy Feast wet food. We call it kitty crack in our house, I keep a bit on hand in case they really won't eat anything. That would at least be a gateway to get her started and then transitioning over to a healthier brand of wet :)

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@MollysMom What is fortiflora?
Since it's more of a treat thing at this point, that doesn't bother me at all. (Thankfully she is a water hog so the vet isn't worried about her not getting enough water) At this point getting her to eat it and not look at me like I'm trying to poison her is the goal lol. So I might have to try it. :)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I was going to suggest Fortiflora too. It's like cat crack. I actually give a bit each day to mine.

I get mine here: Fortiflora Feline

It's great to have on hand as a probiotic whenever the kitties aren't feeling well, after a bout of antibiotics, or other gastro issues.

Hugs. Hope you find something soon.

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
YAY!

Maybe for the next round try draining a can of tuna on the wet food, like just drain the tuna water onto the wet food, perhaps that will help entice her?

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Maybe lol might work. She just has no interest in human food... but I don't eat fish so no clue if she has an interest in it

Back