Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Trouble finding a name...

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
Hey guys,

Anybody have any good name suggestions?

I can think of regular names but I can't think of any of the funny ones that allude to the state of nakedness....like Mel Gibskin for example.

Any suggestions?

Did you guys name your babies when they were still with the breeder or wait til they were home and could see their personality first hand?

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Embrace, there's some good name suggestions here on this earlier thread:
http://www.sphynxlair.com/showthread.php?t=198&highlight=names
I hope you'll find something you like there.

As for your second question, I've always waited until I got to spend some time at home with my new cat to get a feel for their personality before naming them. My sphynx Piglet was an exception, though; she was older and already named before I adopted her. I thought about giving her another name when I first got her, but "Piglet" just fits her so well! LOL!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wish I were better at this but I found myself to be horrible at coming up with names. I always said that if I had kids one day I would name one Sophie. So when I saw her picture from the breeder that's what I settled on. So my baby is in Sphynx form! I wouldn't have it any other way. :LOL:

I wouldn't worry if you still haven't decided on a name until you get your baby home. It will come to you and you will know when its the right name.

I'm sure some folks on here will be better help. :Smile:

gizmo6370

Banned
A friend of mine had a litter with that kind of names......Skinead O'Connor.....Alicia Silkerstone.....Leonardo Di Baldio......Balderine Zeta-Jones....Scarlett Johansskin.....:BigSmile:

Jennofurr.....and a easy one.....Alec/Stephen/William Baldwin.....:Wink::BigSmile:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am bad at names but did have part of Cleos name when she was still with her breeder.
I picked Wrinkles name before I got her also.
Cleos full name is Cleopatra Egyptian Queen and Wrinkles my new sphynx is Wrinkled Velvet if TICA accepts the name.
A Bengal breeder helped me name Cleo.
I only had the Cleopatra part.

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
A friend of mine had a litter with that kind of names......Skinead O'Connor.....Alicia Silkerstone.....Leonardo Di Baldio......Balderine Zeta-Jones....Scarlett Johansskin.....:BigSmile:

Jennofurr.....and a easy one.....Alec/Stephen/William Baldwin.....:Wink::BigSmile:

Your friend should make a list of these names and sell it to newbies like me! :BigSmile: These are fantastic!

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I'm still undecided but at least my list of potential names is a little bit longer!

English Dave

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would just wait and see what happens if you don't have something in mind; I called my boy Ra because he brought a ray of sunshine/happiness to what was probably the most miserable point in my life. When I picked him up from the breeder he just snuggled up in my arms and started purring like a train and things started looking better already and there was my Ra :BigSmile:

He gets called noo-noo a lot too but don't ask me why coz I have no idea :Laugh:

myspecialboy

Lairian
I was at Build-A-Bear, getting Chadwick's costume (embarassing when they ask who you are shopping for!) and got into a conversation with the lady who rang me up. Her brother-in-law has a Sphynx named Baldwin. I though that was really cute.

When I was on my way to the breeder last summer to get my boy, I had a few pictures of some of the cats and had names for all of them. The chocolate boy was going to be named Shaft, the red girl was Lucy, and the red boy was Arney. Well, I met all of them and decided on the red boy, but Arney just didn't fit him. When I held him in my arms and he started giving me kisses, I looked at him and decided that he was a Chadwick, for sure! I think it's just like having children. You can think up a thousand names, but you never really know until you meet them!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
So very true, but for me I even have trouble after seeing them? Thank god for Admin or we would have kids and pets with no name:Sweat:

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I waited till he got home to name him. I definately had to make sure his personality would fit. Here are some of the names we went through: Dobby, Mr.Miyagi, Yule Brennar, Smeagle, Gollum, Stripe

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
That is really cute too!

I did actually decide on a name. My Tortie will be "PAGAN". I had a couple on my list but kept going back to that one. Want to hear the really bad part? Pagan's breeder still has some kittens left and there's a mac tabby boy that is just killin' me, lol. ...but I think I will behave and let Pagan enjoy life as an only baldie for a while. :)

Back