Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Trucker soon to have a sphynx co pilot

Sebryn

Lairian
Hello everyone. As the title says I’m an OTR (long haul) truck driver that is adding a naked to his truck soon. I get to pick Evie up near the end of January. Can’t wait.

Are there any tips you can give on traveling with a sphynx? I have a truck that has an auxiliary power unit for temperature control even when the truck isn’t running so that isn’t a concern.

My main concerns are her litter and what food to feed her. Baths aren’t an issues as I’ll just bring her into the truck stops to give her a bath when I shower. Not like they can say her hair could clog the drains

Does anyone have their sphynx microchipped? We have all our dogs chipped.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sebryn Welcome! How exciting! Can't wait for Evie gotcha day pics!

My crew is microchipped with " homeagain " brand microchips
My preference because I can manage my account online to add a photo as well as update addresses , numbers and additional info.

Absoutely make sure you call and pay for microchip registration amd keep info up to date
I actually called around to vets specifically for a "Homeagain" microchip.
Pet Microchip for Dogs and Cats | HomeAgain Pet ID & Recovery Service

Highly recommend a quality breakaway collar @Catzzzmeow has great ones .
I would add an ID tag along with the microchipping.

I love the titanium tags from thesterlingpet.com (online - very professional amd can ask any questions and get a reply right away from the owner ) I added the microchip number engraved on the titanium pet tag. I purchase small metal "s" rings at a l pal hardware store for More secure attachment to collars.
Highly a quality harness and leash - @Xandria amd several other traveling Sphynx mums n dads can chime in with recommendations

A small hard plastic airline approved crate for moving about at thr truck stops so kitty doesmt get spooked by lights and sounds .
Hylyt shampoo is hypoallergenic amd easy rinse - a pair of exfolzirojg gloves helps hold slippery kitty too . I like the dog microfiber drying towels - thin light weight easy to store amd work great .
The 50x60 throw blankets work great for snoozing .

For food and litter I would start off with what the breeder is using .
Surely Travelling Sphynx parents can chime in with suggestions .

Very excited for you amd Evie !

Welcome jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch!

Remember these Sphynx are lightening fast and super smart !
Look forward to pics amd tales !

Here is s great link to prep for gotcha day
Sphynx Cat Help Center

Last edited:

Sebryn

Lairian
Pretty sure home again is who we use...might be a different one. The one we recently started using (two new service dog pups) allows you to register any brand of chip with them.

I’m going to start using what the breeder is using of course. :) A sick kitty would be unpleasant on a truck. Mainly looking for suggestions on what to transition her to since I’ll have to stock up. I normally am away from home for 8-10 week stretches.

The carrier is something I hadn’t thought of...thank you for reminding me.

Anyone have luck with a harness with training? I’ve seen a few truckers walking their cats/allowing them out of the truck to wander in the grass with a harness....I remember our furred cats weren’t a fan of harnesses.

Sebryn

Lairian
Oh as for tags I have a tag lady already hah. She makes tiny tags for the tiny dogs we have. :) The big dogs too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Sebryn Welcome to sphynx lair! That's so cool - a trucker sphynx :D

Sounds like you've thought of nearly everything whilst getting ready for Evie. As well as a carrier though, I often use one of these in the below picture. It has a short strap inside it with a clasp, so when you're cat is wearing a harness, you can clip it on so that it can't get spooked and jump out and run off. Speaking of a harness - I started training my boy when he was about 4 months old, and at first he would just either freeze completely and not move, or he'd only move in reverse(!?) or he'd look like he'd lost control of all his limbs and just fall over to one side :LOL: But with more training, patience and the right harness he got used to it and will walk on a lead like a dog!

1546260711965.png

Sheldon13

Staff member
There are also snort leads available that actually click into the seat belt so she can be up front to see what’s going on if you don’t want to crate her every time you open the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sebryn

Lairian
We actually use and make slings (and clothes...mom is a seamstress) for our little dogs...could easily attach a clip for a harness in there. I have the seatbelt attachment for the dogs also that I could bring with me. Usually use it in the pick up truck at home with the big girls when I bring them out.

Sebryn

Lairian
Good to hear that it might not be a lost cause Cindafina hah. I have a lot of time on my hands throughout the day to harness train. Hoping getting her so young will help with the wanting to bolt out the door issues. I know a few truckers that have cats that couldn’t give two hoots about the world outside their “fish bowl”. I’d never leave the door open like some of them do since I’d never trust a cat not to decide to explore one day.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I follow a sphynx on instagram who lives with her people in an air stream; she pops up all over the place and seems to love it!
As long as you start her our right away I think she will love it. My father drives truck as well, he's never taken their sphynx with him but took his chihuahua for years.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Our two are harness-trained and ride in strollers. When we moved 1200 miles last summer, they did very well. Cleo would walk around on her leash, and both would get into their strollers when we needed them to. I would recommend strongly a stroller, since it has more room for her and she will quickly regard it as her safe place, and actually go to it when she’s scared or uncomfortable. They fold down, and our guys sleep in theirs, even when they are folded.
593BE2FA-C3C5-4E0A-B416-3A172400700D.jpeg

E92A5D5C-A3FF-41DA-A9DC-9328C5742D5A.jpeg

Sebryn

Lairian
@Cleopatra Beers
Very pretty cats. A stroller...hah I would be getting looks for that for sure.

@Toa and Ross
She’ll already have three doggy sisters and lots of doggy cousins hah. Not sure if all will be in the truck at the same time permanently. My mother and sister watch my dogs for me when they need a break from the truck and have agreed to take care of Evie in the event the truck isn’t a good fit for her. :)

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The strollers do fold down. My husband swore that he would never “push a cat in a stroller,” when I got the first one for Cleopatra. When Marcus came along, and it was apparent that Cleo hated sharing her rolling throne, Bob was the one who bought Marcus his stroller, and proudly pushes Marcus around. We do get plenty of attention. Here, Marcus is sitting in his folded-up stroller.
C417C88B-A604-43B6-98C2-27FBFB928B8A.jpeg

Sheofthrone3

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello everyone. As the title says I’m an OTR (long haul) truck driver that is adding a naked to his truck soon. I get to pick Evie up near the end of January. Can’t wait.

Are there any tips you can give on traveling with a sphynx? I have a truck that has an auxiliary power unit for temperature control even when the truck isn’t running so that isn’t a concern.

My main concerns are her litter and what food to feed her. Baths aren’t an issues as I’ll just bring her into the truck stops to give her a bath when I shower. Not like they can say her hair could clog the drains

Does anyone have their sphynx microchipped? We have all our dogs chipped.
Hello! I just picked up my Opal from San Diego on January 1st. My husband surprised me with her for my birthday. We are team truck drivers. I am so glad to see another Sphynx owner thats a truck driver. Can't wait to see Evie.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sebryn

Lairian
Sorry for not updating this sooner but life got a hold of me. I did indeed pick Evie, now Jojo, up from her Breeder and everything was going well until I changed companies to progress in my career field. I had left Jojo and the dogs at the house while I got in my new truck and all that the process entails...made it back home and picked my furkids and nekid up. Well Jojo decided to quit eating on the truck and act generally sickly so I took her back to the house for a vet visit. Vet said she was fine health wise so we went back out after 2 days down, she ate fine and played around with my niece. She loves to sleep with my niece. Took her back out and again she went on a hunger strike. Brought her back home again and my mother came to get her from the truck stop since it was more of a drive by this time since the vet was booked. Little bugger started eating as soon as she was at the house. So Jojo apparently decided she’s a house cat. An indoor, doted on house cat. Not a traveling cat. She sleeps with my niece (special needs) and actually helps there since my niece hasn’t slept through the night in her own bed for years now...she’d go and sleep with grandma every night part way through. Since Jojo has been home my niece has only once slept with my mom when she was sick (Jojo was there also). My mom also enjoys her company when my niece is at school and doesn’t mind the care she takes. She says she prefers the litter box to the fish tank we had planned to get my niece as a pet. At least Jojo is more interactive than a fish would be. She even enjoys playing with her dog cousins. They respect “the pointy thing” but are fascinated by her lack of fur. Trying again for a truck cat since we decided that there is room for another house cat if she decides she’s a house cat like Jojo.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Sorry for not updating this sooner but life got a hold of me. I did indeed pick Evie, now Jojo, up from her Breeder and everything was going well until I changed companies to progress in my career field. I had left Jojo and the dogs at the house while I got in my new truck and all that the process entails...made it back home and picked my furkids and nekid up. Well Jojo decided to quit eating on the truck and act generally sickly so I took her back to the house for a vet visit. Vet said she was fine health wise so we went back out after 2 days down, she ate fine and played around with my niece. She loves to sleep with my niece. Took her back out and again she went on a hunger strike. Brought her back home again and my mother came to get her from the truck stop since it was more of a drive by this time since the vet was booked. Little bugger started eating as soon as she was at the house. So Jojo apparently decided she’s a house cat. An indoor, doted on house cat. Not a traveling cat. She sleeps with my niece (special needs) and actually helps there since my niece hasn’t slept through the night in her own bed for years now...she’d go and sleep with grandma every night part way through. Since Jojo has been home my niece has only once slept with my mom when she was sick (Jojo was there also). My mom also enjoys her company when my niece is at school and doesn’t mind the care she takes. She says she prefers the litter box to the fish tank we had planned to get my niece as a pet. At least Jojo is more interactive than a fish would be. She even enjoys playing with her dog cousins. They respect “the pointy thing” but are fascinated by her lack of fur. Trying again for a truck cat since we decided that there is room for another house cat if she decides she’s a house cat like Jojo.

That’s great that she affects your niece in such a positive way.

Sebryn

Lairian
That’s great that she affects your niece in such a positive way.

It was pretty amazing to realize how they connected in just a month. My niece loves the dogs but she tends to smother them a bit. Jojo is very vocal and tells her when she’s had enough smothering...the dogs just stare at us with sad little “help” expressions. Jojo rides on her shoulder and climbs all over her shelves...sits on her lap and sleeps under her blankets with her. Jojo has even let my niece help give her a bath and she hates baths...the bather gets the Sphynx glare of death and destruction. She still does most of the taking care of Jojo with help from grandma, which is honestly more than we expected. She won’t ever be able to be independent and doesn’t understand a lot of social cues, like white lies or saying something to be polite... so having a friend that will be there no matter what helps her. Jojo even listens to her practice reading books. I even still get some attention when I am back at the house...if I have food hah.

Back