Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Trying Malaseb “just in case”?

meandmytwo

Lairian
Hi all.

I’m wondering if Malaseb is safe/reasonable to use if a diagnosis of yeast or fungus is not confirmed.

My boys seem grubbier/muckier than so many Sphynx I see in photos. The vet says it’s not yeast or fungus - I’m not entirely convinced. If it is though, it’s very mild. I know I can have a skin swab done, but it’s on the back burner - it’s just not serious enough to be pressing.

I know enough about the frequency of bathing and how that can attract dirt and about how changing foods can help skin issues etc.. I don’t think those things are the problem.

I’m really interested to hear if others use Malaseb routinely or now and then or have even just one time without a diagnosis of yeast, and if that is reasonable to do and if it has helped general muckiness.

Thanks for reading. :)

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Never used it but wanted to chime in that I’m curious as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RaisinBambino

Lairian
Hi all.

I’m wondering if Malaseb is safe/reasonable to use if a diagnosis of yeast or fungus is not confirmed.

My boys seem grubbier/muckier than so many Sphynx I see in photos. The vet says it’s not yeast or fungus - I’m not entirely convinced. If it is though, it’s very mild. I know I can have a skin swab done, but it’s on the back burner - it’s just not serious enough to be pressing.

I know enough about the frequency of bathing and how that can attract dirt and about how changing foods can help skin issues etc.. I don’t think those things are the problem.

I’m really interested to hear if others use Malaseb routinely or now and then or have even just one time without a diagnosis of yeast, and if that is reasonable to do and if it has helped general muckiness.

Thanks for reading. :)
I believe it shouldnt be a problem using malaseb every so often if the diagnostic does not rule for fungal/bacterial/yeast infection. It does really dry out the skin so I’ve been told my one of my vets that applying human hand lotion (as long as its not scented) or baby/coconut oil just to help moisturize the skin so it doesn’t dry it out so much. I’ve never really used malaseb but i’ve seen the over usage of it and it can be very itchy&dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@meandmytwo No please dont use this on a regular basis. The medication is suspended in alchohol and is VERY drying.
If you are having an issue with very grubby cats it may he because after bathing you are not using a conditioner to replace the good oils and rebalance the skin ph. Also you can safely use argan oil on their body to replenish oils and moisture between bathing. I will put a large 50 cent piece dollop of argan oil in my palm, spread it in both hand and they apply to cat all over. I will focus on neck, back, side body, and back of rear legs. Dirt will transfer to your hands and them just wash hand with a mild soap.

meandmytwo

Lairian
@NinaGato Thanks so much for your reply.
So I should use my regular pet shampoo (currentky Hylyt) as normal. But add a rub down with argon oil in the way you described? That’s after the bath and don’t rinse after that step? That won’t attract more dirt like coconut oil does?

I’ll try that before anything else :).

One more thing about Malaseb. You say not to use it regularly, which I wouldn’t. But a round of it as directed on the bottle (I think it’s every second day or something for a couple weeks) shouldn’t hurt kitty? If it doesn’t help I wouldn’t continue. And if it does help I wouldn’t continue either, because it’s helped so I would not have to. I think what you’re saying though is not to use such a product at all, that’s fair and I’m inclined to agree.

Last edited:

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@meandmytwo
So coconut oil is a heavy oil and is used more for barrier repair or protection. Argan oil is a light oil and will soak into the skin quickly. Think of it more as a hydrating oil.
Hylt is a fine shampoo to use but there is also a cream rinse made to use with it.
I use the argan oil after a wash and conditioner.

If there is truly a skin infection then I would use the malaseb to help kill it off but then you have to start feeding the skin and help it normalize after the trauma of an infection. Remember if there is no indication of infection over use of a product like malaseb is just as bad as antibiotics being over used. The organisms will get immune to the malaseb. I am seeing more and more overuse of medicated shampoos with little to no effect anymore. The skin is not being helped to become healthy again and so it is still weak and the infection persists.