Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Tummy issues

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi everyone

This morning my little Siiri had diarrhea, or almost. The poo was so loose but not watery and smelled awful. I have to try and fix this somehow. I took away the new kibble and left the kitten kibble she's used to. I also cleaned the water fountain. She didn't get any wet food. She's in good spirit and plays and drinks water as usual but she's also a food thief and I can't be sure she hasn't stolen some cheese or ham from the breakfast table now and then. I am also a little concerned since she's gotten so big in the last month. She is still growing and I don't want to put her on a diet now but she's 8 months old and weighs about 3,3 kg. I've never seen a kitten sphynx this big. There's one thing, my hubby and me both left for work yesterday and it was the first day Siiri and Ville was totally alone during the day. Maybe she's stressed about this? I have to try and fix this somehow and was thinking I should boils some fish for her today and see if I can get my hands on some S Boulardii capsules in a health store. I gotta tell you, it's not easy finding stuff like that in stores where I live. I can buy online but then I have to wait for it. Does this sound like a good plan?

4Beans

Lairian
How long was she on her new food?

We just went through this with my boys and unfortunately the new food I put them on was wreaking havoc on their systems. So I switched back and it’ll take a few days to readjust.

I wouldn’t add too many new things just yet. Keep on the original food for a few days and see if things improve.

As for size - my 6 month old boy weighs 3,2 kg so not too far off from your girl.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How long was she on her new food?

We just went through this with my boys and unfortunately the new food I put them on was wreaking havoc on their systems. So I switched back and it’ll take a few days to readjust.

I wouldn’t add too many new things just yet. Keep on the original food for a few days and see if things improve.

As for size - my 6 month old boy weighs 3,2 kg so not too far off from your girl.

It was a mistake, the food change. My hubby took the wrong bag with kibble and filled up the container. This was 4 days ago. Both kittens tend to dislike the same wet food if given all the time so we've changed it up a bit but the dry has been the same. I felt so sorry for Siiri this morning, seeing her on the litter box with runny poo. My main concern is to put a stop to it and then carefully establish a routine that works!
Good to hear about the weight, I'm just afraid she'll get too fat and then we have to put her on a diet and that's never fun. I just don't want to do that while she's so young.
Thanx!
/Zab

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Zab I'm in the same boat as you! Hopefully the old food will do the trick for miss Siiri. Finn's fecal sample came back a while back positive for Giardia, so I treated both my boys, steam cleaned the entire house, gave them both a bath before letting them roam free. That was Saturday, Monday evening I noticed another soft stool with Finn :cry: I wouldn't have noticed, but he dragged his butt across the floor and left a snail trail!
I gave him slippery elm powder via syringe and added powdered pumpkin to his food, which he refuses to eat. I'm hoping the slippery elm will cure my boy.
Keep us updated! Also, she may just be a big kitty, Yoda weighs at least 11 pounds.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes, get the probiotics.. any kind of probiotic will help at this point. You just want to build her gut bacteria back up

No, dont add any more new foods. Just try the old kibble.

I dont worry too much about the weight of a cat until they are over on and a half years old. I have had sphynx that are 7 pounds their whole life and we have had 14 pounds sphynx. It really depends on their bone structure.

Best wishes.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
It's probably the change of food that caused the tummy issue. Switching back to the old food shoukd do the trick. I wouldn't give too much other food so her tummy can settle.
Sending healing vibes to Siiri

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanx guys! She wouldn't even look at the boiled fish so I took a little piece of tuna with the probiotic powder and she didn't eat that either from the plate. But when I gave her from my hand she ate it. The old kibble when down with gusto. Oh I wish they could talk so I'd understand! I've never had to take poo samples to check for giardia but that would be the next step. I know that Siiri was not dewormed when she came to us but I did deworm Fisen before Siiri moved in. Maybe that would be something to consider too...
Dear heavens I hate it when they're not a hundred percent, I become a mother hen in ten seconds flat! :arghh::arghh::arghh:

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Update:
Today the poo was solid! (Me and the hubby dance the macarena) Funny how a cats poo turns your life upside down and then you rejoice when it's ok again. I'm so screwed when it comes to my babies... I got some probiotic powder into Siiri and switched back to the old food and also gave her less of the wet. Hopefully this is the end of this! Thanx for input everyone!

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Zab Good news! :happy: I'm also a firm member (no pun intended!) of the poop-inspection squad and have done the "firm, healthy poo-dance" myself more than once!! :ROFLMAO:

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Glad to hear things have improved. Runny poop is no fun and it’s so scary not knowing what the problem is. Poor little Siiri.
Big hugs to you! Doing the happy poo dance here, too!

75463E96-EB38-4AB7-AE59-5AFFF7636B5A.gif

Shmeeps

Lairian
@Zab I'm in the same boat as you! Hopefully the old food will do the trick for miss Siiri. Finn's fecal sample came back a while back positive for Giardia, so I treated both my boys, steam cleaned the entire house, gave them both a bath before letting them roam free. That was Saturday, Monday evening I noticed another soft stool with Finn :cry: I wouldn't have noticed, but he dragged his butt across the floor and left a snail trail!
I gave him slippery elm powder via syringe and added powdered pumpkin to his food, which he refuses to eat. I'm hoping the slippery elm will cure my boy.
Keep us updated! Also, she may just be a big kitty, Yoda weighs at least 11 pounds.
@Bailey21

What did the vet give you to treat the Giardia? I just brought Meeps my older girl to the vet because she has had watery stool ( pretty much just water) since fri night. He gave her fluids, a vetalog injection and Metronodazole cream I need to rub on her twice a day. He didnt do bloodwork. I guess just covering all the bases.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Shmeeps My breeder actually got the meds from her vet for me, its called Fenbendazole. Metronodazole is another common treatment for Giardia as well, although I didn't know it came in a cream form! Finn didn't get blood work either, as the Giardia came back positive just from his stool sample. Healing vibes for your girl, hopefully what the vet prescribed her will do the trick!

Back