Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Tummy trouble and a sore (?)

acook3593

Lairian
Hi everyone! I replied about this in my intro post but I figured it's better to post this in here. So Millie was Initially having loose stools, belly gurgles, and was VERY gassy (SUPER SMELLY) but wasn't acting sick or lethargic or anything. We tested her stools twice and both were negative for parasites. The vet said it could just be bacteria and put her on Metronidazole twice a day for a week and while she was on it, it helped. She wouldn't keep the liquid down on its own so we gave her a baby spoonful of wet food with it and she finished it all that way. Tuesday was her last day on it and Wednesday night her stools were loose again. We have been feeding her the same food the breeder was giving her since we got her. We even stopped the wet food altogether (before the antibiotic)because we thought that could be the issue. So now she has her rabies vaccine on Tuesday and we will ask again about it but has anyone ever had this continuous problem but still have a happy, energetic kitty?

On another note, our little girl woke up this morning with this raised red bump on her neck. About 4x4mm. I initially thought she had cut herself and it was dried blood but it wouldn't come off with a wipe and I noticed it was raised. I haven't noticed her scratching it so I'm not sure if it's itchy. Anyone else have experience with this?

Attachments

• Attach0.jpg
    Attach0.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 50

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sorry to hear the meds didn't work. Can it be a food allergy? Sometimes cat all of the sudden get an allergy for food they were already eating for a while.
The sore looks like a scratch in the pic but if it's a raised bump then it's probably not a scratch. Can it be a bloodpimp?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Although the stool sample testing cam up negative, it can sometimes be a false negative. With that said, if it is a parasite like Giardia, cleaning the litter boxes and decontaminating them daily is essential. Sphynx cat with Diarrhea (Giardia). If your certain its not a parasite, a tablespoon of pumpkin (not the pie filler type) mixed with the food can help runny poo. :)

acook3593

Lairian
Sorry to hear the meds didn't work. Can it be a food allergy? Sometimes cat all of the sudden get an allergy for food they were already eating for a while.
The sore looks like a scratch in the pic but if it's a raised bump then it's probably not a scratch. Can it be a bloodpimp?
not sure if it is a food allergy. The breeder suggested nature balance duck and pea formula so we will try that. And it must have just been a scratch because the scab fell off this morning and she is fine underneath!

acook3593

Lairian
Although the stool sample testing cam up negative, it can sometimes be a false negative. With that said, if it is a parasite like Giardia, cleaning the litter boxes and decontaminating them daily is essential. Sphynx cat with Diarrhea (Giardia). If your certain its not a parasite, a tablespoon of pumpkin (not the pie filler type) mixed with the food can help runny poo. :)
I have heard about pumpkin too. We are trying a duck and pea formula the breeder told us about first. If that doesnt help we will definitely try the pumpkin! Thanks for help!!

acook3593

Lairian
Also, I just read the Giardia forum and she was on Metronidazole for a week. The next day it went back to runny. Do you think a week would be long enough to get rid of the Giardia if thats what it was?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Also, I just read the Giardia forum and she was on Metronidazole for a week. The next day it went back to runny. Do you think a week would be long enough to get rid of the Giardia if thats what it was?
I'm not sure of the time frame they are usually medicated for it. I would ask the vet for sure.

acook3593

Lairian
Just an update, poor Millie girl threw up twice last night. It was whole pieces of food so not sure if she just ate too fast out of excitement that it was a new food. She is also pretty sleepy today. Keeps going back to her blanket. Ate and drank though. Still pudding-like poops. Our vet is closed on Sundays, wondering if we should call their emergency referral (Pennvet). I wish our babies could talk to us and tell us what’s wrong
IMG_3306.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@acook3593 Awh (((healing vibes )))
Did the vet rule out tritrichomonas ? -

other members kitties have had this and successfully treated with a specific medication. Signs of it can be "cow like patties" stool.
Does food can cause blood in the poop ?
I am not a vet but wanted to share bcz some members were at wits end with poo issiues and it ended up being lesser known tritrichomonas -
@Staceyxxx , any suggestions?

Is she drinking water ? Here is a good video to check for hydration your vet can show you in office too

Yes, I wish they could talk

Healing head smooches to sweet Millie
Hope you get answers and relief soon for your baby girl

Following closely for updates

Last edited:

acook3593

Lairian
I’m not sure, that wasn’t mentioned. She has a appointment Tuesday for a rabies vaccine. I was going to call and see if she can see the vet instead of just a tech for the vaccine then. Do you think it’s too long to wait until then? She is eating and drinking like normal still.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@acook3593 Here is a link sbout tritrichomonas to share as info
Tritrichomonas foetus (Diarrhea)

Only you know what's best for your Millie -
You can ask your vet if they postpone the rabies shot until she is feeling better?
I also ask what brand vaccines they administer.
a rabies shots are typically given in right rear leg . Not sure if they still want to give it while she is not feleing 100%- something to discuss with your vet

Perhaps call tomorrow and ask to use the appointment to Have a follow up for Millie to get a diagnosis and treatment plan.
(Also you can ask the vet to show you how to take the temperature at home )
I got a cheap digital thermometer at the dollar store to keep in my hurricane kit)

You can ask tomorrow If they have had any cancellations . Mine has a drop off policy but I prefer to be there to go over things . I wrote a list and take it with me because appointments can go fast and sometimes feel rushed.

Eating and drinking is a good sign

sending s lair full of positive vibes!

Last edited:

acook3593

Lairian
Would that be tested in a regular parasite sample?
And yea I think we’re gonna switch it to a follow up instead of vaccine visit.

acook3593

Lairian
Okay everyone! Millie update. Went to the vet today. Decided not to give her her rabies vaccine yet because her belly is a little messed up. Had another stool sample tested and came back negative. Seems to just be her diet. Doc put her on another week of metronidazole with a daily probiotic and suggested sticking to the nature balance duck and pea formula for good if she handles it well. Paws crossed we got to the bottom of these tummy troubles!

acook3593

Lairian
Millie update :(
Been a week since we went to the vet. Millie has been on a probiotic daily and metronidazole 2x a day. Switched completely over to duck and pea formula(over the period of about a week and a half) per doc’s instructions. Stools were half firm/half pudding texture. Then tonight they are pretty much soup texture. I’ve been taking picture logs (I guess I’m a crazy cat mom) but I want to show the vet what is going on. And through all this SHES STILL ACTING FINE! I don’t get it. I’m happy she’s not feeling sick, but we are so confused as to what is going on. Going to call the vet again tomorrow to follow up. We are thinking maybe adding pumpkin to the food. We’ll see what doc says. In the meantime, enjoy Millie’s photo shoot
IMG_3326.jpg
IMG_3325.jpg
IMG_3337.jpg
IMG_3338.jpg
IMG_3339.jpg

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Firstly she is gorgeous!
Secondly I would definitely try pumpkin. I'm in Australia so you can't just buy the puree here but I roasted a pumpkin then pureed it and froze it in an icecube tray as small serves. That way I have a bit in the freezer at all times. Orpheus had a bit of a poop problem when we tried different food once and the pumpkin helped after two days. I just defrosted it and mixed it with a food/treat he enjoyed (he wouldn't eat it on its own) it really helps getting that fibre to stop the soft poops.
I don't think you're a crazy cat mum with the photo logs sometimes it's just much easier to show than try to describe haha by generally if an animal isn't acting sick that's a good sign as frustrating as it is to not know what's wrong she is a strong little girl with parents that love her and I'm sure you guys with the help of your vet should be able to figure it out.

acook3593

Lairian
Awe thank you so much! And thanks for the help! I keep saying I wish they can talk and tell us what’s wrong lol. Yea I’m going to run out and get some pumpkin today so paws crossed it does something.

nakednelly

Lairian
Awe thank you so much! And thanks for the help! I keep saying I wish they can talk and tell us what’s wrong lol. Yea I’m going to run out and get some pumpkin today so paws crossed it does something.

Hi guys! Millie is looking beautiful such a cutie!

We have been having fully formed hard stools with nelly for TWO whole days now, no pudding like texture or watery and this is what we’ve done...

We have seperated her dry food from her wet in two seperate dishes you might already do this
We leave the wet food out of the fridge and let it go room temp before serving.

And we have swapped from wet food in jelly to wet food in gravy same royal canin kitten food.
We have also got nelly a water fountain to give her fresh water more often as she was barely drinking from her bowl because it wasn’t fresh enough (few hours old haha) and since then her poo has been a proper cat poo. She had a bit of blood around her anus because the poo was so so but almost 2X the size of her hole. But no blood after that it didn’t continue to bleed and hasn’t done since.
I don’t know if this will help you but it’s worked for us! The antibiotics from the vets didn’t work but that did a simple remedy. Here’s nelly in her Christmas jumper.

Hope we get to the bottom of this. Keep us updated

Attachments

• D02BC4E2-B934-43E7-9F17-4E9253A8B83D.jpeg
    D02BC4E2-B934-43E7-9F17-4E9253A8B83D.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 32

acook3593

Lairian
Hi guys! Millie is looking beautiful such a cutie!

We have been having fully formed hard stools with nelly for TWO whole days now, no pudding like texture or watery and this is what we’ve done...

We have seperated her dry food from her wet in two seperate dishes you might already do this
We leave the wet food out of the fridge and let it go room temp before serving.

And we have swapped from wet food in jelly to wet food in gravy same royal canin kitten food.
We have also got nelly a water fountain to give her fresh water more often as she was barely drinking from her bowl because it wasn’t fresh enough (few hours old haha) and since then her poo has been a proper cat poo. She had a bit of blood around her anus because the poo was so so but almost 2X the size of her hole. But no blood after that it didn’t continue to bleed and hasn’t done since.
I don’t know if this will help you but it’s worked for us! The antibiotics from the vets didn’t work but that did a simple remedy. Here’s nelly in her Christmas jumper.

Hope we get to the bottom of this. Keep us updated

Omg nelly is the sweetest little girl! So happy she is feeling better!
I spoke to Millie’s vet today and she suggested putting Millie on a de-worming medicine for three days even though she came back negative all three times. She also put her on a different antibiotic for a week and asked to give her a call on Tuesday and see how she is doing. So hopefully third times’ a charm!

Back