Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Tuna or tuna?

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've read somewhere that cats should not be given tuna that humans eat, only cat tuna. What is the difference, I sure don't get it. Anyone?

/Zab

BrianT

Lairian
We feed ours canned tuna daily. They LOVE it! Delicious and nutritious! We've never had a problem at all. ;)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I've read somewhere that cats should not be given tuna that humans eat, only cat tuna. What is the difference, I sure don't get it. Anyone?

/Zab
There isn't really a "cat" or "human" tuna. The difference is the meat, dark meat, byproducts and in some cases a different line of tuna (blue Fin) are generally used it cat food.

Calicocious

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Tuna is more likely to have Mercury or other contaminants in it. Sardines canned in water would be better, good source of Omega-3. But fish in general should be kept to minimum as it can deplete their Taurine levels if fed too often as a main protein source.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Tuna is tuna I guess. The difference will be the preperation? Can't think about anything else to make the difference.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My friend visiting from Texas and I went to my fishmonger a couple days ago. In addition to the BC salmon, we picked up an incredible sashimi quality tuna steak. We washed it and sliced it, ready to eat it as is ("the hell with searing", my friend said and I agree). Any way... I put a little down for Max and he was NOT interested. In fact, he has shown no interest in seafood. Although today I gave him some freeze dried beef lung and he went mental!

Calicocious

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Mmmm sashimi! I'm sure if someone came out with cat tuna you can be sure it would cost a lot more :banghead:

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They allready have, in Sweden anyways.... I saw cans of it in the petstore....

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Cat tuna must state on the can "complete and balanced" meaning the company added vitamin e and other essential vitamins such as taurine,

Yellow Fat Disease or Steatitis is an inflammation of fat cells that can occur due to many reasons, leading to one or more painful lumps under the skin, fever, lethargy and inappetence. It has been associated with cats eating all fish diets (not commercial fish cat food) due to very high unsaturated fat levels causing depletion of antioxidants such as vitamin E.

That's why you have to feed cat food tuna.

Mine get a tin in the morning.

rsmscience

Lairian
My two Sphynx cats love it. They love sardines too. It's more cost-effective to buy regular cooked tuna in water and sardines in water than to buy processed 'protein" cat foods that have nothing in common with meat. Cats need meat. Has anyone ever seen a lion go to their garden and pick out veggies for dinner?

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Feline pansteatitis, called yellow fat disease due to the discoloration of fat, is characterized by severe inflammation of body fat. It is associated with consumption of high levels of unsaturated fatty acids found in certain types of food (ie, tuna and other oily fish).

Pet food companies add vitamin E to it so this version should be ok as a treat.