Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Turning 1 y.o.! Feeding advice.

Yana and Osiris

Lairian
Hello pawfam! Osiris turned 1 year old last Wednesday, big boy, we went to our vet and she checked his weight, 5 KG!!! She told us to feed him now 2 times a day instead of 3, 20gr per meal. As he should be 4kg at his age. I'm a bit kittled, I'm not sure how to change the schedule and what time would be best for feeding him.

He used to eat at 8:30 AM , 3PM , 8 PM.
If anyone switched to 2 time-feed , please share your experience. I'm afraid he will be more rebellious now. When I'm like 2 mins late he starts kicking stuff off the shelves , counters and ledges lol

Another event from Osi's life - we went outside with a harness ! Tail down and tantrums right away. Although he felt more confident in our yard, I think he smelled squirrels and mice that often come to visit us. He was also climbing furniture rather than jumping on.

Attachments

• 20230609_112925.jpg
    20230609_112925.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230609_120544.jpg
    20230609_120544.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230609_120700.jpg
    20230609_120700.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 11

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Kudos to you for scheduling that one year wellness check. You have set your baby up a healthier future by wanting to hit an ideal weight. We had a couple of babies who we needed to trim down at the 1 year mark. It is brutal on we humans…and you will feel bad, but stay the course. They are creatures of habit so it will take a couple of months until they get the hang of the new routine/amount of food. We had a couple of babies who we needed to cut back on the food…I lessened the amount of food at each feeding slowly. You might continue with the 3 feedings but less at each to start and then slowly stretch the amount of time between feedings until you are down to 2.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Yana and Osiris happiest 1st birthday wishes handsome Osi! you are a teenager now.

I am of no help on feeding since I free feed smaller portions. agree with catzzzmeows advice.
awh.. look at that explorer! I cant take mine out on harness bcz of neighs loose dogs etc and no fenced yard.

keep us updated. look forward to more pics and tales!

Yana and Osiris

Lairian
Kudos to you for scheduling that one year wellness check. You have set your baby up a healthier future by wanting to hit an ideal weight. We had a couple of babies who we needed to trim down at the 1 year mark. It is brutal on we humans…and you will feel bad, but stay the course. They are creatures of habit so it will take a couple of months until they get the hang of the new routine/amount of food. We had a couple of babies who we needed to cut back on the food…I lessened the amount of food at each feeding slowly. You might continue with the 3 feedings but less at each to start and then slowly stretch the amount of time between feedings until you are down to 2.
Thank you and good call! I was considering this as well, or feeding twice but at least 30 gr per meal and then slowly lower it to 20 as recommended. Today I fed him at 6 PM and he held out as a good boy :D

Yana and Osiris

Lairian
@Yana and Osiris happiest 1st birthday wishes handsome Osi! you are a teenager now.

I am of no help on feeding since I free feed smaller portions. agree with catzzzmeows advice.
awh.. look at that explorer! I cant take mine out on harness bcz of neighs loose dogs etc and no fenced yard.

keep us updated. look forward to more pics and tales!
Thank you ! <3 I will be updating this thread in case somebody will find this helpful.

Our vet also recommended us to give wet food only as a snack from now on, like 1-2 times a week. Our goal is to lose this one excessive kilo, she said besides that he is the healthiest cat in the world. And very massive one, not really fat, but recommended still keeping him at 4kg for now.

Back