Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Tux is making me crazy...help

tessblack

Banned
I just love my Tux more than anything but he scratches the couch and is destroying it. They are old couches but that is not the point. He scratches the cat tree all the time but still scratches the couch. I have tried all the sprays, tape etc and nothing seems to help. I squirt him with the water bottle and he stops but will go right back at it after a few minutes. You tell him to stop and he just stares at you and ****s his head and looks cute. I just don't know what else to do because I know when we are at work he is doing it.

I was thinking of trying soft paws but scared he will bite them off and choke on them. He eats everything so I am a bit scared.

Any suggestions would be great. It is so hard to get mad at that little face!

ktate88

Banned
Oh my gosh he is a cutie-- I know how hard it must be!

I'd suggest softpaws. I put them on Niles the first week or two I had him. Being a crazy little kitten most had popped off in 2 weeks. He never chewed at them that I saw, but shook his little paws the first few days.

I'd say do it. I learned not to trim the nails before I do it so the nail is longer and the little caps have more nail to stick too-- makes more sense and probably would have last longer. I'd give his nails a good cleaning before you apply.

I had some of my coworkers do it. Ask you vet if they would do it if you have any problems when applying.

Oh, and be prepared for that WTF face the first time he tries to leap and grab on to something-- cause he will fall down till he gets the hang of it. Frankly I laughed a little bit... I know, mean mom... :Pudently:

TotenEngel

Banned
We redecorated our bathroom just the week before our place went on the market, within 2 days Lazarus had destroyed half the wallpaper :( He doesn't scratch anywhere else, they have trees and post but he seems to have a thing about that wallpaper!

I'm currently using the compressed air as a 'teaching' tool for Smeagol, whenever he's somewhere he shouldn't be then we do a 'woosh' fingers crossed, seems to be doing the trick he's only on the TV half as often as he used to!
Maybe worth a try?

Gizzymom

Banned
We redecorated our bathroom just the week before our place went on the market, within 2 days Lazarus had destroyed half the wallpaper :( He doesn't scratch anywhere else, they have trees and post but he seems to have a thing about that wallpaper!

I'm currently using the compressed air as a 'teaching' tool for Smeagol, whenever he's somewhere he shouldn't be then we do a 'woosh' fingers crossed, seems to be doing the trick he's only on the TV half as often as he used to!
Maybe worth a try?

I agree!! I think the compressed air works way better than spray bottle... in my opinion... :ThumbsUp:

for_serious

Lairian
My mom put tin foil on the part of the couch the cats scratched for a while. That seemed to work. I usually take keano right to the scratching post and do a scratching motion with his paws. He doesn't usually scratch the furniture.

Shell_Baby

Lairian
A friend of mine tried some wide sticky tape on her furniture. She puts it sticky side out , so if they try to scratch, they get the tape stuck to their paws. Her cats seemed to learn pretty quickly. Maybe something to try.........good luck!:ThumbsUp:

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
I got nothing.

Hyde & Zeke clawed my sectional sofa and the box spring of my bed, down to the wood. Completely disemboweled the furniture. I tried water, noise, throwing toys at them, giving them scratch posts ... nada.

I was embarrassed when I moved this past summer and I had to throw out the sofa and the box spring ... it looked like they'd been attacked by a herd of wild lions ...

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
A friend of mine tried some wide sticky tape on her furniture. She puts it sticky side out , so if they try to scratch, they get the tape stuck to their paws. Her cats seemed to learn pretty quickly. Maybe something to try.........good luck!:ThumbsUp:

I would have to put sticky tape on everything in my house!

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh Tux you naughty boy. I too would worry about him choking on the soft paws so I suggest the compressed air. When you're at work you should video tape the sofa area- would be neat to catch him in the act:LOL:

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't have much either. We have the double sided tape on all corners of our couch and that seems to have worked. Rupert & Orion tried scratching the first week they were home, but they didn't like the feeling on their paws 'cause they would shake their paws. I also use a water bottle and if I just shake it a bit they all scatter.

I would try the compressed air, but that is only going to work (maybe) if someone is there to do it. I would also try the things you put on their nails to see if that works while you and hubby are at work.

susi794

Staff member
I've got nothing....mine don't scratch my furniture on purpose--they make accidental scratches from jumping and running, but not from claw sharpening. Try putting a heavy duty denim throw (have someone sew it for you if you can't find one--or find something comparable. Then cover the couch until you are there to monitor Tux. It's got to be a heavy one or it will just slide off.
Good luck!

BlueGirl

Lairian
he is so adorable, especially in his little skirt! I've always been a sucker for the dark tux's i just love their markings soooo much! maybe you could try giving him treats when he scratches in the right places, so instead of learning not to scratch he'll want to scratch on his posts? just an idea :)
Kate xx

TotenEngel

Banned
he is so adorable, especially in his little skirt! I've always been a sucker for the dark tux's i just love their markings soooo much! maybe you could try giving him treats when he scratches in the right places, so instead of learning not to scratch he'll want to scratch on his posts? just an idea :)
Kate xx

agreed, I am currently running on a punishment/reward system with Smeagol (There are certain places in the house I dont like the cats going, mainly for their safety, ie kitchen sides, behind the back of the TV/stereo etc)
Naughty behaviour gets a woosh of compressed air and good behaviour gets the extra special treats!
He's definatly better at not going places he shouldn't but we are still struggling with our dinner time!! lol

Inferno12

Banned
Im so sorry he it tearing things up. I grew up with cats tearing up our stuff and for some reason I have been super lucky with my own cats. Knock on wood, they only scratch the posts. I have now idea how I have gotten lucky but I hope you get this figured out. Do you keep their nails cut short?

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If you arent allready I would try trimming nails once a week. This will keep them nice and flat and dull so they dont do as much damage.
The worst that will happen with the soft paws is they fall off and get lost or he chews em off and eats em and poops them out. They give you extra in the package for that...

tessblack

Banned
Thanks for all the ideas guys. I am going to tape the corners again and see if it helps. Tonight he just stared at me as he scratched, like to show me who is boss. I trim his nails all the time but does not seem to stop him. I was thinking about the compressed air, will have to make a stop at the pet store.
Then he does this!

How can I be mad at him!

I agree with trying the compressed air. I would also try the tin foil. The feliway diffsuers are also supposed to help a lot as well. I have two in my house. Mine don't scratch at the furniture but we will see how it goes with ButterButt.

I can picture Tux (he is a wearing a dress of course) scratching at the couch and you telling him "No!" and he stops for a second, look sat you with "that face" and just continues scratching and kneading at the couch anyway.

He is lucky he is so adorable! I hope you can find something that works!

Inferno12

Banned
Thanks for all the ideas guys. I am going to tape the corners again and see if it helps. Tonight he just stared at me as he scratched, like to show me who is boss. I trim his nails all the time but does not seem to stop him. I was thinking about the compressed air, will have to make a stop at the pet store.
Then he does this!

How can I be mad at him!

What a good boy. I couldnt be mad at him either!