Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Tuxedo Cats

eva_jae

Lairian
I was looking for something and came across this link:

http://cats.about.com/od/coatcolorpatternstypes/tp/Tuxedo-Facts.htm

I'm a little skeptical of some of the claims here. Some of it I do believe... I know tuxedo cats are more intelligent; however, some of these sound absolutely ridiculous:

Dogs are afraid of TCs.

People who win lotteries are statistically more likely to live with TCs.

Plants grown in houses where TCs reside are healthier and generally 20-50% larger than plants in non-TC households.

Tuxedo cats can, in an emergency, drive a car.
[do they mean steer or actually drive, as in pedals?]

What do you guys think? Do you have any experiences with tuxedo cats that confirm or dispute these claims? Any of you tuxedo cat owners win the lottery? lol

Brooke

Banned
Well, I can confirm that I've never owned a tuxedo cat and I've also never won the lottery, so this must be true! :LOL:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I never won the lottery and Coco and Oreo Cookie Monster are Tuxedo's.
Cleo is a black and white bi color sphynx.
I wonder if she is considered to be a Tuxedo.
My 3 Tuxedo's.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The definition of tuxedo I found from wikipedia:

"To be considered a tuxedo cat, its black coloring should be solid throughout, with white limited to the paws, belly, chest, throat, face, and possibly the chin."

Here is an interesting chart on bi color combinations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bicolours.png

Hmm, so I guess a cat with a white tail isn't a tuxedo. That's the only body part left.

AngelSphynx

Lairian
Hahaha that is the weirdest stuff I have ever heard!!!! I have an F1 Tuxedo Sphynx (though I'm thinking he might just be a bi-color, not sure.) Tux or not, that stuff is really "out there" and I don't believe any of it. Gave me a good laugh though! Drive a car.. lol

AngelSphynx

Lairian
The definition of tuxedo I found from wikipedia:

"To be considered a tuxedo cat, its black coloring should be solid throughout, with white limited to the paws, belly, chest, throat, face, and possibly the chin."

Here is an interesting chart on bi color combinations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bicolours.png

My Oreo has all that... it's just that he has an interesting design of black and white on his face. Plus he has white on his front legs, not just his paws. Solid throughout.. he does have some white hairs here and there on his back. I've always called him a tux- just a little more mixed! I can def tell you that dogs are not afraid of Tux's. I have a yellow lab who loves all of my cats (and thinks he's one himself..lol) And when I used to volunteer and foster cats, I had a beautiful and the most perfect tux named Dimitri and my dog loved him! I almost kept him, ahh he was a great cat.

What do you guys think? Tuxedo or Bi-Color?
OreoKitty-1.jpg

AngelSphynx

Lairian
That Bi-Color chart is really neat! Thanks for that link. It looks like according to the chart, Oreo is more a Bi-Color I think. I'm guessing Tuxedos have to be perfect like Dimitri?

Dimitri
dimitri.jpg

Dimitri and Oreo my Sphynx outcross
dimitriandOreo.jpg

AngelSphynx

Lairian
OMG you all have to read that webpage about tuxedo cats!!! It is so funny! I'm starting to think that Tuxedos are good luck charms! lol!

"A TC named Buster flew 17 combat missions over Europe with the US Eighth Air Force during WW II. He was shot down in January 1944 and spent the remainder of the war in a German Prisoner of War camp, where he was credited with improving the standard of living through his diligent rodent control efforts."

"When a full moon occurs on the vernal or diurnal equinox, TCs can become invisible."
(LOL!!!)

And seriously, is this one a joke???
"In recognition of their formal attire, tuxedo cats are the only felines admitted to performances of the metropolitan opera." Haha WAAAAYY too funny!!! :LOL:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cleo my sphynx is a bi color but Coco and Oreo are Tuxedo cats.
You can not tell Oreo is a Tux in the picture.
That was posted in another cat sites a few years ago and it is funny but most of it is not true.
Here are better pictures of my cats.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cleo my sphynx is a bi color but Coco and Oreo are Tuxedo cats.
You can not tell Oreo is a Tux in the picture.
That was posted in another cat sites a few years ago and it is funny but most of it is not true.
Here are better pictures of my cats.

Makes you wonder if the sphynx grew a coat if it would look like the hairy cat.

I've so wondered what ButterBall would look like with hair. My guess would be a greyish brown solid siamese but I don't know.

eva_jae

Lairian
Seeeriously, that was my reaction too. I can think of reasons why one "fact" may be conceived as true, but some of them are just wtf????

I can't see the back half of Oreo very well from those photos, but I gather from examples I found of tuxedos that white on the face is acceptable. Many examples I found have black masks just like Dimitri, so I think spots on the face are okay too (probably just not the classic tuxedo example).

eva_jae

Lairian
About Oreo:

I should have added that Socks, the Clinton's cat, was a tuxedo and he had a spot on his face too, so I think that qualifies Oreo! They both even have the black chin.

Socks was such an adorable cat.

socks_cat_11.jpg

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I love tuxedo cats and hope to own one next. For some reason though I've always called them moo cats because they remind me of cows :Laugh:

Moonstone

Lairian
That Bi-Color chart is really neat! Thanks for that link. It looks like according to the chart, Oreo is more a Bi-Color I think. I'm guessing Tuxedos have to be perfect like Dimitri?

Dimitri
dimitri.jpg

Dimitri and Oreo my Sphynx outcross
dimitriandOreo.jpg

I think Oreo is a bicolor cat. Tuxedo may not be perfect but the chart must looks like...for exemple the nose should be white .
Honesty (my blue and white girl you can see in my album) is not so far from a tuxedo but I think she is a bicolor too.
Dimitri seems to be a true tuxedo

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Your Oreo looks more like a bi color.
Remind me to get something that is not black and white for my next sphynx.

Back