Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Two is better than one??? whats the best combo?

Pyramid

Lairian
So from my understanding, Sphynx LOVE the company of humans and they really love the compaionship of another Sphynx.

Is it better to get litter mates? providing they are altered early, is it okay to get two males? What if they are not litter mates and you get your second addition six months down the road?

Whats better two girls?
Two boys?
One male and one female?
If they are not from the same litter, what is the best combo? One male and one female?

Thanks in advance :BigSmile:

Bella07

Banned
Is it better to get litter mates? Well, if you can afford to bring home two Sphynx kittens at once, that would be absolutely fabulous!
providing they are altered early, is it okay to get two males? Yes, especially if they are kittens!
What if they are not litter mates and you get your second addition six months down the road? That would be great too! There are several members on here who bring home one Sphynx, fall so much in love, and in a few months, bring home another! Socializing and how you introduce the two is key though.

Whats better two girls? Two boys? One male and one female?

I don't think that any are "better." Since you plan on spaying/neutering, there should be no problem with whatever you decide! It's all about which kittens call to you, and who you fall in love with.

If they are not from the same litter, what is the best combo? One male and one female?

I don't think kittens "care" if they are from the same litter or not. I foster kittens for the shelter, and if I take home 2 different litters, and I see no difference among how the kittens act around one another, especially if they are the same age. They are all best friends, and love playing and being with one another!

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have 3 phynx and 2 are related but not from the same litter.
My oldest is Cleo and she is 2.2 years old.
Then Wrinkles is almost 1.4 years old.
Polar will be 1 on Nov 2nd.
Polar and Cleo are half brother and sister.
Polar picks on my 2 girls and hurts Cleo.
They are way smaller then him.
The other cats are fine with him.
All my sphynx are best friends when they are not fighting.
My other 3 cats are half sisters from different litters.
Oreo and Sasha are always together.
The sphynx love Meeko my 10.4 year old cat.
They use her as a bed.
It is up to you what you want to get.
I wish I had the money when I got Cleo because I would have got her sister also.
Cleo is very good friends with Wrinkles it did not matter that she was 1 when I got Wrinkles.
Sometimes 2 males will fight it depends on the cats.
My brothers boys tried to kill each other and they were altered.
He had to get rid of some.
Charlie and Ace tried to kill each other also and they were brothers so my sister had to get rid of Charlie.
Ace was fine with girls though.
I would go for 2 girls or a girl and a boy.

tessblack

Banned
Mine were litter mates and the fact they are the only sphynx I have ever had I am happy that they get along so good. Tux is a bit of a bully at times but they seem to get along great. The sleep together, hang out together, clean each other and play together. I think it really depends on the cats.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My first 3 Sphynx were all neutered males that I got 1 year apart. They got along fabulously and we never had any issues.

Gleek is now 6 months old (neutered) and is getting along fine with our DSH cats especially with the other 7 year old male and 2 year old male although they don't play with him as much as he would like. The 8 year old female and the 5 year old female ignore him.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Just from my personal experience I think a Sphynx can carry on without another Sphynx just find but they do attach themselves to you and mine even experienced some anxiety when I would leave home and couldn't take her with me. So..we brought her neice home. Her neice (SoBe) is only 4 mths old now and Snuffie is almost 1.5 yrs old. They had their "getting to know each other" time of course but they are pretty good friends now. They still get into tiffs everynow and then but I think that is to be expected in a multi cat home regardless of the breed. If you work I personally would suggest getting 2 sphynx at the same time, litter mates would work best because they would already know each other but it would just take adjustment time for the both of them if you were to get kittens from different breeders/homes.
Goodluck in your decision!

Back