Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Ugh... We interrupt this nap with projectile puking

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Molly just climbed on top of me as I was dozing on the couch and SHOT puke a good 2 feet all over me... the couch... my face... the cushions. I had to strip and shower, it soaked through everything (PS - raw has to be the WORST smelling puke).

She had maybe 3-4 acute episodes of vomiting and diarrhea over the last year or so (lasted a few days, cleared up with anti-nausea shot and metronidazole every time). The vet was telling me in September that he thought it was IBD and we should do tests, ultrasound, etc. I thought that time that it was just a bug, since Leo got the same symptoms 48 hours after her. Seemed odd that they would both have an IBD attack the same week (especially since Leo never has any puking problems).

She had bloodwork in September when they were both really sick, and it came back fine (just dehydration from being sick).

Now she has kind of started puking randomly - will have a few episodes in 3 days, or just once in a week... then goes a few weeks fine. She has good energy and appetite when this happens. I am starting to think that he may be right, and we need to look at getting tests done. I had previously just thought that she just had a sensitive stomach and was prone to an upset tummy more easily.

Since another member @Leeny had posted about theirs being possible IBD that can develop into Lymphoma it has me more worried. I read this article that was linked and it has me concerned that I shouldn't just write her off as a "sensitive stomach"

http://www.abaxis.com/pdf/Chronic_V...Cat_to_Live_with_it_Vetcom_Volume_53_2014.pdf

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
PS - we are under an Extreme Cold warning. It is -38 degrees celcius here today with the windchill. What a crappy day.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hugs, @MollysMom . Better to check it out and be sure. Sorry to hear about Molly's projectile vomit session. She's in such good hands with you though. Please keep us informed. Hugs and healing thoughts your way.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Ewww and ugh. I know puke of any type stinks let alone raw. Hope the tummy settles down fast. Stay warm and snuggly after that much needed shower.

Patti

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yuck!
We are pretty sure Ash has IBD, but haven't done the biopsy to confirm due to his HOCM and being 12. For me, because of his age and heart condition I didn't see the point of putting him through that stress when we could just treat him as such and see if it worked, and it did. Due to the connection with lymphoma I would pursue a discussion with your vet about IBD. HUGS! Stay warm!

Leeny

Lairian
Mollysmum (sorry, I haven't figured out how to tag yet!), how old is Molly?

Sorry if I scared you with my thread :( Bella is really a chronic case.. She started off vomiting as you described above, just here and there where it was thought to be a case of IBS or sensitive stomach. It's now been going on for gosh, upwards of 6-7 years at least with no answers and no treatment that works, worsening over time. Bella vomits every time she eats, when she doesn't eat, when she drinks water. It's constant, sometimes it would be 5-10 times a day.

If I had my time with Bella over again, I would have tried to do more of my own research early on and push for more tests. Looking back, I was always fobbed off. If I was in your shoes, I would probably ask for an ultrasound. From all I've read, it seems the thickening of the bowel wall can often be picked up by ultrasound.

I'm sorry once again if my post had caused you unnecessary worry, I do hope you get Molly's issues sorted out soon.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MollysMom , oh no how awful :( I am sorry she is not feeling well...and yikes stay warm together and snuggle! That's coooold!

Fwiw, years ago I adopted Omar bengal cat who was on raw and barfing episodes- we did metro, etc for his "ibd"
did an ultra sound and told me he had a mass on his spleen etc.. Well long story short $1200 later- it was a birth defect- the spleen tip was flipped on the tip and presented like a mass- they told me was probably cancerous-
Well, it was not - he bounced back and lived another 5 years after they told me the worst news-

I took him off raw and yes... Put on dry kibble and he lived a long healthy life ..

I don't do raw with any of my kitties now- so in no way up to date but I worry about bacteria after recent articles about raw diets and even how one lairian recently got very sick from stuff that can be transferred to humans from raw..

I send ((healing hugs and thoughts )))
Please give Molly head kisses from me..
Please keep us updated

Ps- is she eating any different treats? Mine barfed up new treats I tried for them

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mollysmum (sorry, I haven't figured out how to tag yet!), how old is Molly?

Sorry if I scared you with my thread :( Bella is really a chronic case.. She started off vomiting as you described above, just here and there where it was thought to be a case of IBS or sensitive stomach. It's now been going on for gosh, upwards of 6-7 years at least with no answers and no treatment that works, worsening over time. Bella vomits every time she eats, when she doesn't eat, when she drinks water. It's constant, sometimes it would be 5-10 times a day.

If I had my time with Bella over again, I would have tried to do more of my own research early on and push for more tests. Looking back, I was always fobbed off. If I was in your shoes, I would probably ask for an ultrasound. From all I've read, it seems the thickening of the bowel wall can often be picked up by ultrasound.

I'm sorry once again if my post had caused you unnecessary worry, I do hope you get Molly's issues sorted out soon.
She is 2.5 years old. The vet talked about getting an ultrasound done when we were there in September - he said he would want it to confirm diagnosis before putting her on any meds (steroids). I just find it confusing as she is already on a raw diet. But I will give him a call tomorrow when the clinic is open and get the ball rolling on this. Thanks for sharing that article - it is so helpful!

cfc

Lairian
I hope your baby feels better!

But I couldn't help but giggle when you said its -38 degree there today, its only 8am here and we are up to +38 and they are expecting 44 (I think thats 112 F) degrees today.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We have a few different types of treats that we have tried, I mixed some wet food in her raw this week because she has been being fussy. I am sure that was probably enough to set her off. Looking back, when we transitioned her to kibble for a few days when we were away, she puked in the days afterwards.

suzfoote

Lairian
I hope you figure out what is wrong with her!! I agree, definitely push for tests.

We are here in Edmonton too, and yep it is very cold out today :(

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@MollysMom, Bob definitely sympathises with you. After all, last week Marcus vomited all over him--and it was bad! It didn't smell as bad as it would have if Marky ate raw. That alone is a major reason we don't feed raw; the other reason is that I am the one who spent 6 days in the hospital with a nasty food poisoning. I hope you find out what's going on with Molly really soon!

Leeny

Lairian
Mollysmum, I think Bella was perhaps a year and a half to two years when the vomiting really started becoming regular. We have tried steroids, antibiotics, antiemetic, restrictive diets.. Nothing has worked.

I've printed off some paperwork to take with me to the vet today, I'm hoping I dont come off as rude for doing so!

I'll cross my fingers that you get some answers regarding Molly xo

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I called and they have an appt there for her for Wednesday morning. Ooof, it is going to be $550... that is a nice chunk of change. Sigh. But I know she needs it, to be able to tell what is going on and for her to be healthy. I am nervous about dropping her off there for that long and her being stressed out.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Eff... and I finally looked into pet insurance properly. Because she has had past vomiting on her medical records, they wouldn't cover the ultrasound cost (even after the waiting period). Knew it sounded too good to be true!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MollysMom , checking in on Molly - any less vomiting today?
Keeping all paws crossed for sweet Molly :)

Do they have CareCredit available thru your vet like the states?

(It's 6 mos promos with no interst if paid in full with min payments each month-
Has to be paid in full or they wack big interest-
I use it for they bills over $200 and have never paid a dime interest- comes in handy with our babies-
I gave up on pet insurance because of the pre existing hunts by companies)

I am sending Molly head kisses to feel better soon!

Also , @Cleopatra Beers , I think it would great to post a thread on food poisoning risks concerning raw diets since raw is fed by many.. Hope you are feeling much better!

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She is fine today, was just a one-shot (hahahaha) thing yesterday.

We can afford to pay the bill in full, I am just trying to pinch pennies since I just started a year of schooling and the wedding is in September. Was just thinking it would be worth it to put that money towards insurance if they would cover the ultrasound.

Leeny

Lairian
Hi @MollysMom, glad you're doing the tests! In last month or so I've done two ultrasounds, a biopsy, full blood work twice, a specific test on her pancreas to check its function, X-rays, plus all her meds and other costs.
It's adding up :dead:.. I don't have let insurance either, by the time in thought about it it was too late.
Is it the ultrasound you are putting Molly in for? We are struggling with Bella, I had to leave her there yesterday evening overnight again :( she's having BIP X-rays done today, that's going to be another $500-900 depending on how many they need to do or whether her tummy is moving at all.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@MollysMom , checking in on Molly - any less vomiting today?
Keeping all paws crossed for sweet Molly :)

Also , @Cleopatra Beers , I think it would great to post a thread on food poisoning risks concerning raw diets since raw is fed by many.. Hope you are feeling much better!

I agree, @Yoda mom . It may dredge up some bad memories, but if @Cleopatra Beers is willing to give the details, I think it would be VERY useful, especially for raw newbies or those considering.

I always wash Max's face after each meal and if he's given himself a quick lick/wash, before I could get to him, while he still has meat hanging from his lips (man, I wish I had had this one instance on video), I wash that area too.

On the other hand I'd like to know more about the risks. Hugs to all.

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I read somewhere online before I got Eudo (when I was planning to feed him fresh raw... before he informed me otherwise!) that it was advisable to worm regularly when feeding raw. Has anyone heard this? Maybe it's true if guts are included in the meat? Not an issue for us now with the freeze-dried, but I'm still curious.

Sorry, this is somewhat changing the subject from vomiting.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think with being concerned about bacteria, it depends on a few factors. What type of meat are you feeding? If I was feeding raw chicken from a grocery store, I would be more concerned. I butcher the deer myself, and know how it has been handled from field to freezer. So my concern level is pretty low.

It also depends if you have immune compromised individuals in your home. Children? Elderly? Someone with cancer? Those people are more at risk of a serious issue than a healthy adult.

Of course, hand washing, wiping down counters and cleaning dishes properly will all be important hygiene factors as well.

Back