Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Understanding the echocardiogram

Hi all, I would really like to learn more on how to read a heart echo scan. Also I'd love to learn about what is the normal size of a cat's heart and what is the HCM/DCM/RCM affected.. are there any of you who could inform me a bit more or put a heart echo report of a HCM positive cat so I can learn what is there exactly I need to look out for? I do have my cat's negative report that was scanned in Feb this year and I would like to compare it with another healthy cat's as well as with a hcm positive cat. My country does not have good cardiologists so I am still in search for someone who could answer all my questions. Some of you know, I lost a sphynx to HCM last year and we did a necropsy, the result was "heart failure" with mentioning of a thickened left ventricle. No one explained it to me the way I wanted to, it was all in "maybes" and "we don't knows" and I hate those kind of answers especially when coming from person who should be an expert and also when you gave a certain amount of money to get your problems solved and they still don't care. :(

This is from my other cat's scan that was negative, yet a "false tendon"(chordae tendinae) was found, vet said it is nothing to worry about. He was 10 months old at the moment and wasn't fully developed yet.
LA/Ao 1,21
IVS 4,8mm(a false tendon is attached to it)
IVSd 0,35mm
LVIDd 16,6 mm
LVIDs9,2mm
LVFWd 4,5mm
FS 46%

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Can imagine you want to know more about the scan and results. I'm afraid I can't help you cause I don't know anything about it. Hopefully members who have experience will chime in.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
We have had several scans on our crew. I personally have left the results and interpretation of the scans to the cardiologist. I have no idea of measurements and what is considered normal. If there is thickening/enlargement the meds etc are critical in trying to help make the heart work less hard. HCM is a silent killer there is no way of knowing when the heart will just fail, even after getting scans. Scanning and catching in the early stages is the best case scenario so meds can hopefully help so there is less progression.

My city does not have much cardiologists so that is why I seek info online. It does have a few but there is no absolute top one. No one knows sphynx breed as well. We had a scan in Feb and the vet said nothing particular, just... "the scan is ok, I found a false tendon in his heart, it's nothing to worry about". That is not enough for me, if I give my money (quite a lot) and I want to make sure my animal is in perfect health, don't act as if it's your everyday job and as if we're talking about a thing - even though I know that it is their everyday job, it's just that, a little more compassion and info would be appreciated. We are talking about a living creature here and a "silent killer" just as you said it @Catzzzmeow
I scheduled a scan for my male sphynx on monday, this time it's a new cardiologist so we will see.. :unsure:

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Hopefully the new cardiologist will be more engaging with you. Have a list of questions ready to go. It is a stressful day and we often forget what we wanted to ask because we are just relieved it is over with lol. We have Azura who is due and Myshka just turned 1 so they are up next.

We visited the cardiologist yesterday, unfortunately the news are not very good...seems that my Silvio is on the edge, his results are fine yet almost there to call it HCM. No murmur, no symptoms. We have to check it again in 6 months, if there is progress, he will be put on meds...if there is no progress, it could simply be a bit bigger heart..

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Take today’s news as a win. You are doing all that you can and no meds yet. Best advice I can give you is to life and love every day. Our vet/cardiologist also,says it is a great practice to start charting the breathing rate when completely at rest and not purring. Breathing rate is the first visible sign to look for heart issues like CHF. Your baby knows nothing different than your love...what a lucky boy he is.