Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Unusual Behavior

Shiny

Lairian
I noticed today that my little Leo was acting strangely. He is usually very lively in the morning and waits for me and my family to wake up outside of our rooms. Though, today was different. Leo has this cat bed that he has never used before, but this morning he was and continued to use it throughout the day. It just seems very, very odd because he has never done this before and whenever he rests he usually does it in a regular human bed. Recently I've been giving him timeouts whenever he starts biting and clawing my ankles when I go up the stairs. I've also been locking him out of my room whenever he decides to scratch up my new office chair. Could this be the reason for his behavior? or could he be sick? Should I be worried at all? I don't think he is mad at me because he still follows me around the house and rubs up against me like he has always done.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Shiny how old is Leo?
Many of us have had kitties go thru teenage brat stages (I gave my boy time outs too )
Go with your gut , if you think something off perhaps medical call your vet and ask their advice

With that said , My kitties have gone thru phases of what beds , toys amd cat trees are used .
Just when I go to get rid of it they decide it's a fav lol

As for scratching up your new office chair -
I trained mine like a dog -
Got several different types scratching posts since they will pick a fav style -
I scratch on it myself and put a treat on it to interest kitty then lots of praise and treats
Sowmetimes they don't like the short scratch don't post so I lay it on its side - this way they can stand on it Koke a tree branch and scratch -
Try different scratching posts and materials and see which is a fav and treat and praise like crazy
Amd scratch on it yourself - sounds goofy but they do seem to get it

Shiny

Lairian
@Shiny how old is Leo?
Many of us have had kitties go thru teenage brat stages (I gave my boy time outs too )
Go with your gut , if you think something off perhaps medical call your vet and ask their advice

With that said , My kitties have gone thru phases of what beds , toys amd cat trees are used .
Just when I go to get rid of it they decide it's a fav lol

As for scratching up your new office chair -
I trained mine like a dog -
Got several different types scratching posts since they will pick a fav style -
I scratch on it myself and put a treat on it to interest kitty then lots of praise and treats
Sowmetimes they don't like the short scratch don't post so I lay it on its side - this way they can stand on it Koke a tree branch and scratch -
Try different scratching posts and materials and see which is a fav and treat and praise like crazy
Amd scratch on it yourself - sounds goofy but they do seem to get it
Leo just turned 2 on the 11th.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Shiny, my Toby was a brat for the first couple of years lol Sphynx terrible 2's I called it

Always go with your gut ...you know your kitty best

As for scratching the chair :( I am sure others can chime in too with training tips
Be firm fair and consistent with training to a scratching post

Can you put a floor type small scratching post on the floor by the chair to redirect Leo to learn the right things to scratch ? You scratch on it - if he even looks at ot , treat amd praise , then when he stands on it , treat and praise , when he scratches on it have a party of praise amd a treat !

Shiny

Lairian
@Shiny, my Toby was a brat for the first couple of years lol Sphynx terrible 2's I called it

Always go with your gut ...you know your kitty best

As for scratching the chair :( I am sure others can chime in too with training tips
Be firm fair and consistent with training to a scratching post

Can you put a floor type small scratching post on the floor by the chair to redirect Leo to learn the right things to scratch ? You scratch on it - if he even looks at ot , treat amd praise , then when he stands on it , treat and praise , when he scratches on it have a party of praise amd a treat !
I'm planning on ordering this for Leo:
and I've figured out why he has started sleeping in his cat bed all day! Recently it was moved in front of our fireplace up against the glass and, even though it stays off, it still heats up the bed. He probably enjoys it because it gets so warm.

Back