Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Update and can you use human probiotics?

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So poor little Molly's meow went back to normal after a few days, but now she keeps having mucus-y poop and it's a bit runny. I have had her on fortiflora once a day since Thursday, and it's not helping. We added pumpkin yesterday, still no help.

Yesterday she was in the box pooping, and before I could catch her to wipe her bum, she ran to the carpet and scooted a big poop smear across it. I literally screamed, I was so horrified. She has never done that. She has been licking back there too, I don't want her anal glands to start acting up.

Has anyone used human probiotics on their cat? I did a bit of reading online that fortiflora isn't the most effective, and that you can use human ones in a small dose. Thoughts?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
She might need her anal glands expressed. Scooting and licking are signs of possibly having issues. Might touch base with your vet.

Patti

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The vet tech just called me for a follow up (they are so awesome like that), they said she might need a bit of an antibiotic to get her tummy under control. The vet is going to call me tomorrow to chat. I have never had pets before these guys... How common is needing their anal glands expressed? I read online that if they do not have firm enough poop for a certain period, the glands will not have the pressure against them to drain naturally.... Which may be the problem we are having :(

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using pumpkin to help firm up the poop? Canned pure pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling is a magical thing to many of us in here. I use a table spoon with their wet food and it firms things up great. Talk to your vet about what you are feeding your baby and their litter box habits. They might have some great info to share. Just because there might be a problem once, it does not necessarily mean it is going to be a chronic issue. Let us know how you make out.

patti

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
With the anal glands expressing it really just depends on the animal. I have a cat who has to get her's expressed once in awhile even with firm poops. It really just depends on their bodies some pets glands have a harder time draining themselves. The vet will probably charge a small fee but they can do it really quick right in the room with you there it only takes a couple of minutes and it's virtually pain free, they just get annoyed with anyone touching their butts. Good luck, I hope Molly feels better soon!

Last edited by a moderator:

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Are you using pumpkin to help firm up the poop? Canned pure pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling is a magical thing to many of us in here. I use a table spoon with their wet food and it firms things up great. Talk to your vet about what you are feeding your baby and their litter box habits. They might have some great info to share. Just because there might be a problem once, it does not necessarily mean it is going to be a chronic issue. Let us know how you make out.

patti
Yes, she has had pure pumpkin the last 2 days. Hopefully it makes the difference tomorrow!!!!

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
With the anal glands expressing it really just depends on the animal. I have a cat who has to get her's expressed once in awhile even with firm poops. It really just depends on their bodies some pets glands have a harder time draining themselves. The vet will probably charge a small fee but they can do it really quick right in the room with you there it only takes a couple of minutes and it's virtually pain free, they just get annoyed with anyone touching their butts. Good luck, I hope Molly feels better soon!
Ok that's good to know, thx!!!

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So poor little Molly's meow went back to normal after a few days, but now she keeps having mucus-y poop and it's a bit runny. I have had her on fortiflora once a day since Thursday, and it's not helping. We added pumpkin yesterday, still no help.

Yesterday she was in the box pooping, and before I could catch her to wipe her bum, she ran to the carpet and scooted a big poop smear across it. I literally screamed, I was so horrified. She has never done that. She has been licking back there too, I don't want her anal glands to start acting up.

Has anyone used human probiotics on their cat? I did a bit of reading online that fortiflora isn't the most effective, and that you can use human ones in a small dose. Thoughts?
I have read that you cannot, at all, use human probiotics for cats. They have completely different stomach bacteria from people. I use the animal probiotic called Protexin if you are looking for a different brand. Just google it, there is lots of information.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have read that you cannot, at all, use human probiotics for cats. They have completely different stomach bacteria from people. I use the animal probiotic called Protexin if you are looking for a different brand. Just google it, there is lots of information.
Ok thx!!! Yes, I couldn't find much about another brand to try... I am going to call the high end pet store and see if they carry any options.

Bobbafett

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You could try going to g&e pharmacy in Edmonton. I'd say call, but they're always busy. They have a pharmacy in the back that could probably help you find something to help Molly.

It's where I got my l-Lysine.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You could try going to g&e pharmacy in Edmonton. I'd say call, but they're always busy. They have a pharmacy in the back that could probably help you find something to help Molly.

It's where I got my l-Lysine.
Thx!!! I have been going to the wellness and compounding pharmacy in stony, and found pure L-Lysine there in capsules... Maybe I will ask the guy about it! Will see what the vet says today...

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Has the vet run any tests?
Pumpkin is great for runny poop for no reason, but you have to make sure that nothing medically wrong is causing it. The mucas-y poop bothers me a bit.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Has the vet run any tests?
Pumpkin is great for runny poop for no reason, but you have to make sure that nothing medically wrong is causing it. The mucas-y poop bothers me a bit.
No tests yet, we were in there last Thursday because I came home and found the L-Lysine bottle on the floor and a few capsules chewed open... And 3 piles of puke on the floor. Molly also had a hoarse meow for a few days. The vet said her temp was high end of normal and she had some rattle-y breathing , told me it was prob a virus and just to keep an eye on her. No sneezing, snot or other symptoms. Since she has been having the poop problems I am guessing it was her who did the puking on Thursday. Will post an update when I hear back from the vet today.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I talked to the vet by phone and she didn't seem concerned at all about anal glands, and has filled a Prescription for metronidazole that I am picking up this afternoon. Hopefully that does the trick!!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Super! Let's hope for no more scooting and it clears it right up. Glad you called the vet and they seem pretty confident it is not an anal gland issue.

patti

Back