Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

UPDate! My petfow acct hacked now too**Petco online data breach** ALL my info changed!Fraud order. please check all your other accounts

Yoda mom

Staff member
** sharing, Petco data breach **
For all members with a petco account, please call petco customer service Directly asap (877) 738- 6742 to verify ALL your information, including your email, phone number, etc is correct. I recommend changing your password asap.
Today my bank sent an email about a purchase thru petco I could not log into my petco account. I called customer service. They said they could not access my account as my email, phone number not on file. I have been a member for 20+ years. Two hours later, the back office was able to access my account and see the fraudulent order for dog food. The rep told me my name, address, phone number, email was changed! I verified I did not know the name/info now on my account.
Apparently data was compromised and ALL my account info, email, phone number, address was changed and an order placed with my credit card on file shipped to an out of state address.
Petco customer service rep said they have a known issue with an outside source accessing personal accounts. They stated they sent emails but I never received because all my info was already changed. Petco could not even send me an email tonight to change/edit my account. They had to contact the "back office".
They said I was not the only one. Several other accounts compromised by an outside source.
I closed my credit card and petco stopped the shipment of the fraudulent order and will refund . Their fraud department will contact me in 24/48 hours about transferring pals rewards, etc.
** please pass on to family and friends

Dbvernon

Lairian
** sharing, Petco data breach **
For all members with a petco account, please call petco customer service Directly asap (877) 738- 6742 to verify ALL your information, including your email, phone number, etc is correct. I recommend changing your password asap.
Today my bank sent an email about a purchase thru petco I could not log into my petco account. I called customer service. They said they could not access my account as my email, phone number not on file. I have been a member for 20+ years. Two hours later, the back office was able to access my account and see the fraudulent order for dog food. The rep told me my name, address, phone number, email was changed! I verified I did not know the name/info now on my account.
Apparently data was compromised and ALL my account info, email, phone number, address was changed and an order placed with my credit card on file shipped to an out of state address.
Petco customer service rep said they have a known issue with an outside source accessing personal accounts. They stated they sent emails but I never received because all my info was already changed. Petco could not even send me an email tonight to change/edit my account. They had to contact the "back office".
They said I was not the only one. Several other accounts compromised by an outside source.
I closed my credit card and petco stopped the shipment of the fraudulent order and will refund . Their fraud department will contact me in 24/48 hours about transferring pals rewards, etc.
** please pass on to family and friends
My Petco account also had a fraudulent order last Thursday from a data breach that i never received any notification for. The person ordered a bag of dog food too for $99.99 and they lived out of state, in California. The name of the thief was Shelly Gadea. However, they did not change my information. Petco should have emailed and mailed notifications of this data breach to all affected customers. This is not the first time they had a data breach either.

tuffysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Good grief. Thanks. So sorry this happened to you. I changed my password and took out the credit card. I usually never leave a card in any account, as annoying as that is, but during the height of covid I got loosey goosey and I've had to change cards multiple times and deal with unknown charges and refunds....sometimes HUGE. BTW I never got a general warning that info had been hacked in their system either...

Yoda mom

Staff member
@tennisplayer , thank you.
just an fyi, I did try it and did not show the most recent :( , and did not show my associated phone number as "pwned" even though all was hacked on petco site. .. or two others just one from petflow in 2017.
I will add I do not pay for any services that may be offered on checking sites.
I even have a fraud alert on my account but did not alert because petco was a merchant I bought from in the past for beloved bubba bears special food.

Kaitykat

Lairian
Hi! I have nothing to do with sphynxes but found this by googling petco data breach because this literally happened to me today :(

There were two fraud charges for two different locations/people and the funny thing is I’m currently overseas stationed in Japan and have ZERO pets with me. Hopefully Petco fixes themselves.

Juliez805

Lairian
I just got two emails from petco right now at midnight saying My profile was updated. I didn’t do any changes! I tried logging on and the password I have saved on my phone is invalid and when I clicked lost password it says my email address isn’t registered!! Great I gotta call them in the morning!

Juliez805

Lairian
I just got two emails from petco right now at midnight saying My profile was updated. I didn’t do any changes! I tried logging on and the password I have saved on my phone is invalid and when I clicked lost password it says my email address isn’t registered!! Great I gotta call them in the morning!
Checked my cc and there is two charges for $65!! I’m so mad!! I’m calling petco in the am

lja123

Lairian
This happened to me yesterday, called Petco, who said they would cancel the order and the payment. Yeah, and today the charge hit my checking account, so have filed a dispute with my bank. I'm in Ohio, and someone in PA is getting the delivery today, at what looks like either a trailer park or a vacant lot. If Petco is too stupid to stop the unauthorized purchases, I don't feel sorry for them. They'll be out the money for my transaction, and someone in PA got free dog food!

hsarsour

Lairian
Hi! I have nothing to do with sphynxes but found this by googling petco data breach because this literally happened to me today :(

There were two fraud charges for two different locations/people and the funny thing is I’m currently overseas stationed in Japan and have ZERO pets with me. Hopefully Petco fixes themselves.
Same. I just found this forum after a quick Google search about the data breach. I alerted Petco within an hour of an unauthorized purchase being made. They told me it was a known issue and that they would request that the order be cancelled. I was also told the pending authorization on my credit card wouldn't go through. Two days later, they shipped a $70+ bag of dog food to what looks like a car repair shop in California and the charge posted to my credit card.

I tried contacting Petco support multiple times after that only to be told that a supervisor would have to call me back.

After almost a week, I get this email from a customer support rep:

"We noticed a login to your Petco account and changes that did not appear to have been made by you, including an email and shipping address change, and a purchase made using the digital wallet of your account. This may have occurred because someone obtained your username and password for a different online account and they’re the same credentials you use for your Petco account.

The security systems we have in place successfully prevented the person responsible for making the order from seeing your payment card number. We locked the account, changed the email address back to the one you provided, and are reversing the charge.

Please follow the instructions below to reset your password and take a moment to review your account. If there are any changes you did not make, please let us know.

Ivan
Customer Relations Coordinator
Petco – The Health + Wellness Co."

hsarsour

Lairian
Same. I just found this forum after a quick Google search about the data breach. I alerted Petco within an hour of an unauthorized purchase being made. They told me it was a known issue and that they would request that the order be cancelled. I was also told the pending authorization on my credit card wouldn't go through. Two days later, they shipped a $70+ bag of dog food to what looks like a car repair shop in California and the charge posted to my credit card.

I tried contacting Petco support multiple times after that only to be told that a supervisor would have to call me back.

After almost a week, I get this email from a customer support rep:

"We noticed a login to your Petco account and changes that did not appear to have been made by you, including an email and shipping address change, and a purchase made using the digital wallet of your account. This may have occurred because someone obtained your username and password for a different online account and they’re the same credentials you use for your Petco account.

The security systems we have in place successfully prevented the person responsible for making the order from seeing your payment card number. We locked the account, changed the email address back to the one you provided, and are reversing the charge.

Please follow the instructions below to reset your password and take a moment to review your account. If there are any changes you did not make, please let us know.

Ivan
Customer Relations Coordinator
Petco – The Health + Wellness Co."
For what it's worth, they have yet to refund me for the unauthorized purchase. I'm also not happy that they're trying to deflect some of the blame when it seems clear that this is the result of a data breach on their end.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@hsarsour ,@Juliez805 ,@lja123 ,(((hugs)))

I am soo sorry you are going thru the same. Petco never called me back. I called again and asked for a supervisor in back office and asked for a refund to be processed. she allegedly did it. I will be watching my statement. I suggest calling and ask right off for a supervisor.

if no resolution, I am contacting my bank . they closed my account . the bank told me if I don't get resolution from petco, to call and dispute the charge and resolve that way.

not holding my breath for petco

Juliez805

Lairian
Everyone check your Best Buy account!! I just got the same email about updating account info on my Best Buy.. I was able to log on, change password and take credit card out!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Juliez805 , I called best buy customer service. Rep told me they are getting "alot" of customers calling stating they got the same email you received.
I updated my account. made sure no payment methods linked and changed password

Yoda mom

Staff member
be sure to check your junk mail folders for any account changes emails from any online /credit accounts.

that is where I found the petco email that my acount info was changed on 8/7.. then 2 days later had the fraud purchase

hsarsour

Lairian
Update on my end. I just received an email from Petco. A refund is now being processed and should post to my account in 2-3 days. They also added a $10 reward coupon to my Petco account for the inconvenience.

Mermaidmania

Lairian
Update on my end. I just received an email from Petco. A refund is now being processed and should post to my account in 2-3 days. They also added a $10 reward coupon to my Petco account for the inconvenience.
Just happened to me at 2am this morning, saw when checked email at 6am. I got email from Petco it had been ordered and Paypal it had been paid!!!! Looks like if you have payment information stored, the order gets put on your credit card or Paypal account you have saved with them. I also noticed on Paypal that a Reoccuring Subscription for Petco had been added so after changing my passwords on both sites, deleting the newly added addresses, and deleting my payment method of Paypal on Petco, I deleted that. subscription too I talked to both Paypal and Petco. Both are looking at it and have agreed I did not make the purchase and one of the other will refund... but even tho it hasn't shipped yet, they can't cancel it going to some Teresa gal in California. Mine was a whopping $181 for 2 huge bags of dog food...... I only have cats!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Mermaidmania , I am soo very sorry this happened to you too... crooks set up repeat delivery too! I am trying to cancel my entire petco account and cant even do that. petco Never called me back. and I see no refund processing on my account. I will be contacting my bank to dispute the charge. Shame on petco for not following thru.

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Mermaidmania , I am soo very sorry this happened to you too... crooks set up repeat delivery too! I am trying to cancel my entire petco account and cant even do that. petco Never called me back. and I see no refund processing on my account. I will be contacting my bank to dispute the charge. Shame on petco for not following thru.
Not an excuse but I imagine they're inundated with calls from people in the same situation. I hope they call you back soon xx

Mermaidmania

Lairian
Not an excuse but I imagine they're inundated with calls from people in the same situation. I hope they call you back soon interesting as I got a msg to chg my passwors again! I went into rhe petco website and changed my pwd again and also changed my email. Looked at orders and nothing was there. Paypal however still has the charge from the Petco order. Logged off and tried signing on with new user id and pw and said wasn’t found! Glad I kept emails and did print screens and saved rhem!

Back