Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Update on Bronxe

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bronxe is still a little trooper. he's very active and still eating. however, we have hit a few bumps in the road.

a few days ago Bronxe started throwing up. I knew it was a sign of the cancer getting worse. i called the dr asap, but she wasn't in the day. she called the next day and sounded concerned. i explained to her that i had noticed bronxe having diarrhea a couple times, but that i thought it was just his IBD acting up... she said that the medicine he has been on should stop any diarrhea. She thinks the diarrhea is because the cancer has now spread to his intestines. :( :( :( she put him on this anti nausea medicine in hopes of it helping to keep his tummy settle. However, if that medicine didn't work after 4-5 days then we'd have to consider putting him down soon after.

Of course after our convo i had a break down for a good 2 hours. i refuse to prolong his suffering, as i appreciate many of you understand. But he's still active! he's still jumping all over, playing with the other kitties, still being snuggly Bronxe.

He's been on the medicine for about 2 1/2 days and no throwing up since we started it!!!!! Thank God!! :) I can tell the cancer has spread because his tummy will swell :( which makes me so sad. because i don't want him to suffer. but honestly, he doesn't seem to be in pain - yet. but the moment i see him not doing well, i will take him in.

It's hard.. how do you say "ok kitty, the cancer has spread but you're still lively"... "time for heaven".... i'm not sure his time is RIGHT now, but i do know it'll be soon. He's been diagnosed for a little over a month now. The Dr originally thought maybe 3 months, but i know he won't make it that long... and let me tell you.. i know you all understand.. how can you just decide when to kill your baby????? :( :( :( :( :( i know i'll be helping him not suffer. and i would NEVER put my feelings before his health- ever! How do you explain to your kids (my step kids)... spend all the time you can with him because next time you come over he may not be here... so hard to say.

we went to dinner last night with some friends and Bronxe was brought up twice. people know how much he means to me (us) and they ask all the time. which means so much. But of course i start tearing up in the middle of the restaurant lol. i'm such a sap! I cry a lot over this.. as i'm sure many of us on here would.

I'm going next week to get my Bronxe tattoo :) i can't wait!!:BigSmile:

Thanks everyone for your support.

gizmo6370

Banned
It's the hardest...i'm in a simmilar ( spelling ? ) situation with my bulldog Xantos....taking the day as it comes....never knowing when it's gonna be the last one....
Hugs x

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am crying with you. I know exactly what you are saying, I could have written it. My biggest hugs and prayers to you and dear Bronxe

Bella07

Banned
Oh I so wish that there was something that could comfort the sadness that you all are feeling over Bronxe, Gummi, and Coco :Cry:

I am so sorry to the all of you....Sending my best hugs, love, prayers, and good thoughts! You are such a wonderful momma to Bronxe. You know your baby, and when it's time to go, he'll let you know. Mine did when the time was right. Just give him tons and tons of kisses and love, and let you know how much you love him every single day.

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am soooo sorry to hear of all the sadness that you all are experiencing. I don't even want to think about the day when I have to say good bye to Lemmy!! I remember how hard it was when my BT died. I will say major prayers for all of you.

By the way....since I have been gone so long, what is wrong with Gummi??

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
thank you everyone for all your support! i often think my family/friends think i'm crazy because i just love him so much. and i know i have animal lovers in my family... but i think i'm beyond animal lover lol. i'm like SUPER nut-so cat lady lover LOL.. although i do have one aunt who definitely knows what i'm going through and how much i love him. beyond that though... people dont get it. but i know you guys do. :)

i know everyone keeps saying 'you'll know when its time' 'he'll tell you when it's time'- this is something i struggle with everyday, all day. i am SCARED to death that i'll miss his signs... or something similiar. and i know that i know him better then anyone.. but this is such a HUGE fear of mine- i can't even begin to express. thankfully John is my voice of reason... :)

Gizmo & Mews- i'm so sorry to hear about your bully & coco

Gadz- it's funny you say that.. because when i read your post earlier on Gummi.. i cried because i have thought those thoughts... said those things... i love all my babies SOOOO much, but of course i have thought to myself.. why him :( sounds like we're in a simliar boat... if you need anything i'm always available.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
From one nutsy crazy cat lady to another nutsy crazy cat lady - I did not have any warning when Goody Girl had cancer because no one knew. I was lucky in a way that she did not suffer much. One day I went to check on her and I saw poop right beside her. She was unresponsive and I picked her up and looked into her eyes. Her pupils blew out and she was gone. I have to go crying

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Klreese, it's because you know Bronx-e so well that you'll know it's time. For me, the fear of seeing Little Ren suffering was far worse than the fear of losing him. I was scared to go to work because I was afraid he'd get worse while I was gone and I'd come home to find he'd been in pain. Those thoughts tortured me, they really did.

I knew when Ren was ready. I knew when he tried to jump on top of the toilet and missed; my lithe agile boy who normally jumped from the floor to the top of the fridge with ease. I knew when he left the bathroom and crawled into bed by himself instead of crawling onto my chest. And I knew when I got into bed and he snuggled a little closer to me, let out a sigh and just laid his head on his paws.

I knew in that instant that he had given up. Life didn't hold the joy for him that it used to. And it was exactly because I knew him so well that I knew he was ready. My gut knew it even though my heart tried to deny it. And that's the same way you'll know when Bronx-e is ready.

I wish I could give you better advice about this but I just can't. I wish I could give you a hug too.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
awe candy i'm so very very very sorry for you loss. i couldn't imagine waking up and seeing my baby unresponsive. :( we have made a plan, that if for some reason bronxe passes away at home that john will take him to the hospital so he can be cremated. we are getting his remains back in a nice urn with a his paw print in a ceramic pad.
i cant imagine how hard that was for you to find your baby like that. :( i'm so very sorry.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Marlene, thanks for that info. it does help. those are some good examples. bronxe is the same way!! he jumps all over, and onto the smallest surfaces.
i know exactly what you mean when you said you didnt want to leave him while you went to work. thank god i work from home. i have a hard time leaving him. my aunt was in town for 2 weeks for my sister's wedding and i only went and saw her a couple times. i couldn't stand to be away for very long. before he was sick i would check on everyone before i left... but now i make sure to kiss him everytime before i leave.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
So sad for you! :Cry:
Things like this seem unfair. Our dog Sidney is still hanging on, but since I just ran out of pumkin and there is no longer any in any store I am worried it is the only thing that helps her.

susi794

Staff member
You can still order it from Amazon.com I think.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
ilovemysphynx- a vet at my office said that W/D is also very similiar to pumpkin if you do canned food.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=canned+pumpkin&x=0&y=0]Amazon.com: canned pumpkin[/ame]
there's the link for the pumpkin on amazon

also, this is pumpkin season!! just got get some pumkins. every year when we carve pumpkin the kitties sit with us and eat the 'guts' as we carve them!! :)

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Kl, I think the worst for me is not knowing. I look at her, there is a monster inside her, and she looks so normal. I feel like I am in limbo, just waiting for her to die. It's awful

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Gadz- that's one thing i am thankful for... i know what wrongs with Bronxe. and thankfully, the day i noticed swelling, the Dr thinks the cancer had just started to develope. i honestly think it started to go down hill after he had that bad skin rash a month before. I am very thankful to know. I couldn't imagine being in your shoes and not knowing... and it gets so expensive for testing and office visits.
i'm so sorry you are going through this :(
how old is Gummi and how long have you had her?

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Gadz- that's one thing i am thankful for... i know what wrongs with Bronxe. and thankfully, the day i noticed swelling, the Dr thinks the cancer had just started to develope. i honestly think it started to go down hill after he had that bad skin rash a month before. I am very thankful to know. I couldn't imagine being in your shoes and not knowing... and it gets so expensive for testing and office visits.
i'm so sorry you are going through this :(
how old is Gummi and how long have you had her?
She is only six months old. I have had her four months. Wow. I really had to count to answer your question. It feels like I have had Gummi forever. How do you love something so completely in such a short time?

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i know all about loving so much so soon. i couldnt imagine only after 6 months though. wow. Bronxe will be 3 in October. we got him when he was 4 months. he lays in my arms like a baby. he sleeps on me every night. when i go on vacation i call and talk with him on the phone! (my mom puts me on speaker phone and he meows back to me)... he IS my baby. it isn't fair that this is happening to such young kitties.
have you talked to Gummi's breeder? obviously it won't help her medical issues, but maybe they'd be willing to help out? seems odd that a 6 month old kitten is so sick :(

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Gummi is inbred and she came from a member of this site who is not a breeder.
A very bad breeder sold the lady a preg cat.
Sh had no idea the kitten was preg.
Lets just say the lady that sold her Gummis mom has been reported.