Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Update on Haley

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ms Haley is still really sore and grumpy today, which I expected since she was in heat and it was a bit different then a normal spay. My concern is she doesn't want any water! She hasn't drunk anything since I brought her home. I'm feeding her raw food nuggets, and she's eating ok, so she's getting some moisture from that, should I be worried that she doesn't want to drink?

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
anytime a cat isn't drinking it is cause for concern.

However, she's still recovering from a vet visit(surgery) right? I would guess that they may have given I.V. liquids -- I would call and ask -- no vet would mind.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I would call the vet.
Even my Meeko that had pyo drank water after her surgery.
I hope she feels better.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Honestly, I wouldn't be concerned because she's eating. In fact, we'd be more concerned if she were drinking water but not eating (then there's a risk for hepatic lipidosis). The next time you feed her, add some water to her raw diet and smash it up enough to where she must consume some liquid in order to eat her food.

My dogs who are on raw entirely almost never drink. They may have a solid cup of liquid per month aside from what moisture they receive from the liquid in their food. Their hematocrits and kidney functions are fine, so this is entirely because they are getting enough moisture from their diet. If you were feeding kibble, I'd say be more concerned. But since she's receiving moisture from her food...I wouldn't be that concerned at all. If she doesn't start consuming water on her own within the next 24 hours, I would become more concerned. Remember, most healthy cats are not avid water drinkers anyhow. Expecting them to drink the moment water is presented may be a bit of a high expectation.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The vet I took her to yesterday has odd hours and days, so they aren't open today. I do know she was on fluids while she was there.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I'd be even less concerned then. She may have been so well fluidized that she simply isn't thirsty yet.

Again, add some water to her food or even offer her some "bloody water" from the package if it's separated from the food source. This is all acceptable in getting her to drink. Like I said, it's very odd for cats to not drink but to still eat. This usually signifies that they simply don't require any water and are well-hydrated.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Honestly, I wouldn't be concerned because she's eating. In fact, we'd be more concerned if she were drinking water but not eating (then there's a risk for hepatic lipidosis). The next time you feed her, add some water to her raw diet and smash it up enough to where she must consume some liquid in order to eat her food.

My dogs who are on raw entirely almost never drink. They may have a solid cup of liquid per month aside from what moisture they receive from the liquid in their food. Their hematocrits and kidney functions are fine, so this is entirely because they are getting enough moisture from their diet. If you were feeding kibble, I'd say be more concerned. But since she's receiving moisture from her food...I wouldn't be that concerned at all. If she doesn't start consuming water on her own within the next 24 hours, I would become more concerned. Remember, most healthy cats are not avid water drinkers anyhow. Expecting them to drink the moment water is presented may be a bit of a high expectation.

Thank you for that info! I'll call the vet tomorrow if she's still not drinking. I'll also add some water to her dinner.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you so much for the advice yesterday Pitrottmommy! Haley seems in a much better mood today, she's walking around more, actually followed me into the kitchen for breakfast (she was staying in her bed on the foot of my bed feeling sorry for herself!, and went straight for the water bowl, so she's obviously feeling much better today! She's also back to keeping this doofy boys straight LOL Osiris and Oogie tried to sneak some of her food, and she let them know that she's still queen of the castle!

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Great news. Glad she is feeling better!
Ok, I'm not worried about her at all, she's back to her old tricks! Instead of laying in her little bed on the foot of my bed today, I got home from work today and found her curled up under the covers - Her normal spot when I just get home! She's still moving slowly and I'm trying to keep her from jumping to much just yet, but she's just about back to her normal self now!

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
awesome news!!! yay! love happy healthy kitties!! well love the sick ones too but you know what i mean.
Having 2 chronically ill dogs (Aiyana has an unknown liver disease and Jamie has lung disease, bad arthritis, and a bad heart), a cat that will forever sling snot (my Oogie - AKA the Boogie Monster), and a special needs dog I'm fostering (Gemstone), I understand EXACTLY what you're saying LOL I love my Furbabies, but I must admit it's so much nicer when everyone is healthy for a while!!!

Back