Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Update on How Shiva is Doing

kaoticharmony

Banned
How is Shiva Doing?

I've had several people ask me. I had planned on having his test results this week, but his doctor took a surprise vacation. He is due back today. II want to get his x-ray ASAP. I want to wait until we see that before we start testing his blood. It might change what tests are needed.

His foot didn't look good the night before last. He somehow managed to get it wet. If anyone has ant suggestions of a way of getting air to his foot while keeping litter out, I am really concerned about it not getting enough air, but it has to be kept clean and he can't lick it. What's weird is that he's acting like he feels better. He's climbing again and he's sleeping at the top of the bed with me. He hasn't slept with me for weeks. I'm hoping returning to his old behaviors is a good sign.

I'm scared for him. But I've thought about it a lot,I'm sure if he loses a toe or even his foot he'll do okay. I was warned when he turned diabetic that this could happen, He is a real strong willed little guy though.

I want to thank everybody who has helped him and all the people who have sent him mail and good wishes. Anyone still wanting to send him cards please do. It REALLY helps him and cheers him up. Message me and I'll give you his address., That's another thing he did today, he wanted his mail. If you send him one rub it on your cat and if you want to double make his day find him a feather.

He has enough money for his tests and medication. After he stabilizes and gets back to normal I'm thinking about changing his insulin. I've been talking to people at a diabetic cat site. I don't feel his current insulin is working that well. He's been sleeping A LOT, but he's also under a lot of stress with his foot.

Lol, He just came up and asked for a blanket,oops that one is taken,Hi. Neon! Venus is funny, she doesn't ask for a blanket,she EXPECTS one. She'll come up an sit with her back to me. Then she'll look over her shoulder and wait.

Keep the positive energies flowing for Shiva.

Luna, Shiva Kuma, Venus and Neon

How can someone not love a Sphynx!

Last edited by a moderator:

kaoticharmony

Banned
I told him when he gets well I'll get him a Finch. I figure I could get a bird cage that will fit in an aquarium. That way he can have his pet in watching range and the poor little bird won't be as scared or easily hurt.

We used to take him to PetSmart (where he stole feathers and play mice, they knew him though... he'd reveal his stash to the cashier) and he didn't care about any of the big flashy birds...or the fish...no canaries... Just LOVED those Finches..."just park me right here in front of their cages!"

kaoticharmony

Banned
Okay... tomorrow night I'm sitting him up to record his snoring. I was taking a shower and heard this noise...Being that it had to be one of the cats and it was loud I was sure something was wrong! So I rush in here and Shiva is laying on Neon (who looks anoyed). Purrhaps he's possessed by a huge deaf cat demon... Lol I think Neon is reading my mind cuz when I typed the demom thing he let out a big nervous gulp. It's okay Neon... I'll protect you!!!

Shiva is still being social. Up until the other night he wouldn't sleep with me. He has this place on top of some of my boxes of videos where he loves to sleep...he hasn't gone up there. He just laid at the bottom of the bed under a comforter. Last night he was even waiting in the hall for dinner.

The vet thought he might have been anemic. His blood barely clots. All I have to do is touch it (which I have to do when I clean it) and it just bleeds all over. He wanted me to feed Shiva raw liver. I know this is good for him. He took one look at it and said "It's not cooked" That was followed by a rude comment and an exit featuring alot of over the shoulder looks.

When he was little he liked these dog treats. They were pure freeze dried beef liver. I tought him to count to 4 with those things. It was really cute. Well he ate them for years and around the time he turned diabetic he decided he didn't want them anymore. I kinda forgot asbout them.

The only place that had them was the pet shop he always tries to steal things from. Strangely enough they delivered them to me. Alot of trouble for one package of treats. .....anything to keep "Lightning Paw" out of their store.

Well it's breakfast time for him so I guess I have to wake him.

If I get a chance I have a video of the 3 of them to post. It reallt shows Venus' "what about me attitude. Oh and I have to say. I was very surprized to find out how "different" the girls are...lol...SHe does have spirit.

kaoticharmony

Banned
I'll let you know how his foot is later tonight. (I change the bandage as needed or every other day) When I redid it last time it looked a little weird and that worried me, but then again he had somehow managed to get it wet. I don't know how long it had been that way. It smelled weird...but a wet bandage could.

I also tried a new bandage thing. I found some bandaids that fit his foot. So instead of a big gauze pad, gauze, a little tape or a sock and some of that rubbert tape... This time all he has is a bandaid, a little hair tape,a little bit of gauze wrap around and rubbery tape. I think his foot needs air...but I have to keep litter out of it. I figure the bandaid might work better...

I'm going to look at walmart today ....

Well it's almost 10 gotta get a few hours of sleep

BBL... I'll put more Monty up later tonight.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
When I redid it last time it looked a little weird and that worried me, but then again he had somehow managed to get it wet. I don't know how long it had been that way. It smelled weird...but a wet bandage could.

Could the wet, smelly bandage be due to drainage? Did your vet put him on antibiotics or recommend a medicated foot soak?

kaoticharmony

Banned
Could the wet, smelly bandage be due to drainage? Did your vet put him on antibiotics or recommend a medicated foot soak?

He is on antibiotics... to be honest I think he put his foot in the waterdish. I'm trying ome new bandaging ideas on him. He's such a good little guy. He hasn't tried taking any of it off yet. I bought a special wash for him last night. It kills germs for 6 hours. I've been putting Neosporin on it, but I'm concerned that it's keeping it wel as well. In fact it's bandage the cat time right now...gotta so round him up from under my bedspread. At least he's east to find.

Story to share... When I first moved here I lost Shiva! It was dinner time and he was missing. I looked all over my house and started calling him...he eventually answered... what was weird was that I couldn't tell where it was coming from...it was like it came from every direction. Well I found him... My upstairs bathroom has a heated area for your towels....need I say more? If it's a warm place yoyr Sphynx will find it! I'm considering making the closet into a cat condo like place for them, but I'm afraid I'd never see them again...lol... Shiva hasn't forgotten he asks me to let him in the closet all the time. The house also came with a sauna. He wants in there too!

kaoticharmony

Banned
After I bandaged it he wouldn't leave it alone so I redid it again. Now he's resting. I think the dampness is actually coming from him. I don't know if it's from the wound or from his licking. When I went to redo it it was already wet again.

I just don't understand what's going on with him. His foot looks worse, but he's acting like he feels so much better. Right now he's mad at me for rebandaging his foot, but he's back to his old loving self.

Pleae send good healthy wishes.

kaoticharmony

Banned
I called Shiva's vet and they said they can't see him until Friday!!!???? I told them he might be dead by then. They called me back and somehow are squeezing me in this afternoon at 4 with a vet that isn't there today....I will be changing vets. Right now all Shiva's money is tied up in this one. So I am totally stuck. They will hear about it today considering I've been trying to get a return call from them for a week. I knew he had to get in now not just because of the obvious but because the tests take a few days to get back. If the vet isn't back until Friday and he went in then the tests would be back the following week (mid week)... This way they will be there by Friday.
Meanwhile they can tell me what to do to get him through the week as comfortably as possible.

Keep up those positive vibes... he REALLY needs them.

What's weird is aside from his foot he seems okay. I know cats hide their symptoms but he really looks like he feels okay. I know part of it is a cover up because I can tell his foot hurts when I do the bandage.

Back