Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Upper Respiratory Infection....?

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok I was talking to this breeder from a small sphynx cattery. Her queen had a litter of 7 on August so I talk to my husband and we deiced to get another sphynx and the last one! hehe! (Only 3)....So at 1 week old I sent her a deposit to hold a sphynx kitten.

Now they are almost 3 weeks old and she emailed crying saying that 2 of the kittens had died :( Because somebody wanted to trade her some kittens went to her house with the kittens and brought upper respiratory infection to her house.

She has been talking to her vet and he said that maybe they could all die. She says that the kitten we picked is eating well and is doing very well but there is possibility that he could also die :(.....She used to send me pictures of that kitten every single day,He is the cutest thing I would be devastated if he dies. :(

She says she learned not to take deposits until they are 8 weeks old.

I am sorry for her,She is such a nice lady and loves her cats...I will tell her to join us!

Any advice?

Bella07

Banned
Oh wow, another kitten! Congrats--and don't worry, your baby has high hopes of pulling through!

Just so you know, I foster kittens for the shelter. 2 summers ago, I fostered 10 kittens, who were 2 weeks old. When they were 3 weeks old, we noticed that they were developing severe signs of an URI. The runt of the litter (7 oz) passed away a week later :Cry: But, the other 10 kittens pulled through! But, there was no way they could have without me. The kittens need to given medicine, round the clock. Whatever the vet says, your breeder must follow through. It doesn't hurt to bottle feed the kittens too, so that you are 100% sure that they are getting enough nutrients. That's what I did, and now the kittens are healthy, happy adults! Praying for your baby!

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh wow, another kitten! Congrats--and don't worry, your baby has high hopes of pulling through!

Just so you know, I foster kittens for the shelter. 2 summers ago, I fostered 10 kittens, who were 2 weeks old. When they were 3 weeks old, we noticed that they were developing severe signs of an URI. The runt of the litter (7 oz) passed away a week later :Cry: But, the other 10 kittens pulled through! But, there was no way they could have without me. The kittens need to given medicine, round the clock. Whatever the vet says, your breeder must follow through. It doesn't hurt to bottle feed the kittens too, so that you are 100% sure that they are getting enough nutrients. That's what I did, and now the kittens are healthy, happy adults! Praying for your baby!

Yes another baby and the last one!!!!!! The house will be full! :BigSmile:

Thank you Bella07,That gives me Hope!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear of that poor kittens misfortune. We do not allow anyone near our kittens until at least 8 weeks, pictures only! Just for the sake of keeping disease from traveling into the house. The breeder needs to stay in close contact with the care of the kittens and medication prescribed for the kittens by the vet. Yes, they can pull through but at that young age it may not be as easy as an older kitten with healthy lungs. I hope the babies pull through! Please be sure you do your homework on the breeder that you choose to be sure they have healthy cats and good references! Hope your new kitten pulls through!

Last edited:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Be aware: my Bronxe was sick at a young age as well with URI, it really messed with his immune system.Perhaps he was poor with a bad immune system, but an early sickness definitely didn't help with his adult life. Since he was a kitten Bronxe has had chronic URI's and Iflamitory Bowel Disease. he has now developed Lymphoma Cancer because of a poor immune system. i would be very cautious.
However, im a softy and would still take the cat if it survives. i hope everything turns out well.

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you everyone! I really hope he survives...He is just a little Angel.Now there are only 2 kittens left,Our boy and his sister. :( He is nursing from mommy and the breeder is feeding him plus all the medications. Poor babies :(

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Awe... such a sad story. how many kitten were there originally?
They were 7 of them....Now there are only 2 left.:Cry: I will keep you all updated. She sent me a picture of him today with mommy,He is nursing very well but his sister is not doing good.:Cry:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh gosh, how devasting!
We lost a puppy out of our litter. He was 1 week old and just wasn't doing well. loosing him was so hard on us, i couldn't imagine loosing 5 babies! oh gosh :( how sad.
Have you talked to her about if in the event that he passes away as well (God forbid) that you get your diposit back?
How old are the puppies?- oh 3 weeks.... wow.. scary. Do you think she's following all the Vet's recomendations? How long has she been breeding?
I will pay for your baby to make it. :( too much heart ache on this website lately!

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh gosh, how devasting!
We lost a puppy out of our litter. He was 1 week old and just wasn't doing well. loosing him was so hard on us, i couldn't imagine loosing 5 babies! oh gosh :( how sad.
Have you talked to her about if in the event that he passes away as well (God forbid) that you get your diposit back?
How old are the puppies?- oh 3 weeks.... wow.. scary. Do you think she's following all the Vet's recomendations? How long has she been breeding?
I will pay for your baby to make it. :( too much heart ache on this website lately!

Yes she wanted to send the deposit as soon as she found out they were sick but I told her I have to wait and see...Who knows maybe he will make it. But yes if he passes away she will send me the deposit...:Cry:

She is a new breeder,I think her first litter was on April. Her cattery is TICA registered. And yes she said that she is everything the vet told her to do. She even gave her vets email address.

Poor babies....I have that little boy in my mind all day and scared that she will email me saying that he passed away..Poor babies only 3 weeks old:Cry:.....

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Is this Linguini?

No Linguini is coming home next Monday-There are new pics on his album! We are so excited! He is the cutest little thing! I have everything ready! I bought him new toys and a new cozy bed!! I am tooo excited!!..hehe!

This little boy that has URI is from another breeder...We just wanted to adopt another sphynx kitty and the last one! (my husband says so!..hehe)

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Here is my little boy Sanyi with mommy... Poor baby. :( Hope he makes it!

Attachments

• CIMG0201.jpg
    CIMG0201.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 41

susi794

Staff member
Is he a seal point? He looks cute. Breeding sqhynx kittens is difficult--the mortality rate can be quite high and it's heartbreaking to watch them slipping away and being powerless to stop it. I hope he'll pull through.
Prayers to this little angel,
Susi and the gang

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Poor Sanyi is not doing ok...He is having a hard time breathing so the vet said that he doesnt think he is going to make it...:Cry: His baby sister just died last night. :Cry:

Poor babies.....

Back