Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Upset Stomachs

3sphynxcats

Lairian
Hi everyone, I am new here and have three sphynx cats (one is quite fuzzy ,think a little rex is mixed in) and two furry cats. I have had stomach issues (loose, fetid smelling stools) with our adult sphynx, Rogue, who is now 1 and our 10 week old kitten, Grover. I/D and prednisone have helped Rogue but feeding i/d to all the cats is getting expensive. The kitten is on evo and I kept him on it(feeding him separately) but he would get into the i/d also and now has the loose stools. I was trying to switch the adults to a limited ingredient diet, California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato slowly mixing it in to the i/d and the loose stools started in the adult. I am a vet tech and have acess to alot of different foods so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would love to here them. I don't want to keep Rogue on Prednisone forever. And I don't w ant to start the kitten on it either. I think less is more so if the naked babies can be helped without a ton of meds that would be great!! Thanks for any help.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi and welcome to the Lair!!

Sorry to hear your having upset stiomach probs...that's really no fun :ThumbsDown:

A lot of members on here who have had issues with loose stools (their cats not them obviously!) swear by pumpkin....type 'pumpkin' into the search box on here and have a look at some of the threads...hopefully you'll find the info contained useful.

X

susi794

Staff member
Have you thought about a raw diet? You can use the search tool, as there is much here about using raw...other than that, try a grain free food and then for the diarreah, add some pumpkin ( canned, but not the pumpkin pie filling--Libby (and others) makes it, but make sure the label says only pumpkin and water). I offer mine the pumpkin in a seperate dish and they gobble it up, others add it to the wet food--a teaspoon or two. Again, the search tool here will bring you to a lot of great information on food recommendations. Get well soon, kitties!
And welcome to the Lair--a great place filled with wonderfully kind people and tons of information! A wonderfully moderated, safe and friendly place to be. Looking forward to your kitty's stories and pics.
Hugs,
Susi and the gang

Pbinky

Banned
I had major problems with my second boy as he came home to me with Giardia. He never really pooped normal after the giardia cleared. i tried everything, including pumkin and it would not "fix" the problem but instead it just provided a band aid solution. BUT, once i started my babies on a Raw diet we've had no more problems with diarrhea. My second boy took to the Raw food immediately but my first boy still is a bit weary of it. i mix it in with his wet food and he eats it up. He never had problems with his stool so i'm happy to take my time switching him over to full Raw... no rush.

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome! There are a lot of wonderful people on here to help! I hope they get better soon!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hello and welcome!
Sounds like you have A full house at the moment and I know first hand that feeding to adults and kittens can be A small task because every one wants what they do not have. I would start by feeding the kitten seperate. Then if all medical concerns are rulled out and it is the food causing this then I would find A food both your kittys and yourself are happy with and try to stick with it, remember if you switch food do it slowly. Pumkin is great we have A dog that is old and had not had A solid poop for what seemed like forever and I started giving her pumkin every day and she is all solid (knock on wood) but if these are younger animals I woud say that it is just masking something that needs to be taken care of.

Last edited by a moderator:

for_serious

Lairian
Have you thought about a raw diet? You can use the search tool, as there is much here about using raw...other than that, try a grain free food and then for the diarreah, add some pumpkin ( canned, but not the pumpkin pie filling--Libby (and others) makes it, but make sure the label says only pumpkin and water). I offer mine the pumpkin in a seperate dish and they gobble it up, others add it to the wet food--a teaspoon or two. Again, the search tool here will bring you to a lot of great information on food recommendations. Get well soon, kitties!
And welcome to the Lair--a great place filled with wonderfully kind people and tons of information! A wonderfully moderated, safe and friendly place to be. Looking forward to your kitty's stories and pics.
Hugs,
Susi and the gang

How often do you feed the pumpkin? Is there any risk of constipation?

Back