Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Urgent advice needed!!

NoonySphynx

Lairian
So I just impulsively rescued a kitten, who was living in horrendous conditions so I just couldn’t leave him. He is absolutely flea ridden and I’ve bathed him and put flea treatment on however I have a sphynx cat and am worried about him catching them. Is this possible and also how quickly are these fleas going to die???

Yoda mom

Staff member
@NoonySphynx bless you for rescuing the kitten .
We have had members share their experiemces with fleas .
Here is a link eoth a search result for fleas using the top right search box .

I would give a call to your vet for flea advice for
From your vet and products available in your area .
Have you seen fleas on youR sphynx?
What topical brand did you apply on the rescued kitten?

I know people havd mentiomed using blue dawn dish soap to kill fleas as well as using “food grade only diatrmaceuos earth powder “ sprinkled and vacuumed from carpet .

***always check with your vet before using or applying any products on your pets

Is the kitten a fur kitty? I would use a flea comb daily ... dip any fleas you get off in a cup or dish you won’t use again like a disposable plastic one ) with blue dawn dish soap to kill them instead of trying to smoosh with your fingers.

Hopefully your prompt attention to taking care of this kitten like you did with the bath and flea topical will take care of things.

There is also a “capstar” pill many shelters use thst you can **ask your vet about capstar thst knocks out fleas quickly .
Ask your vet for their professional advice about “capstar “ or similar products and suggestions as well as a wellness check on the kitten (poo sample for any parasites )
They deal with it on a daily basis amd will surely give great advice

Please keep us updated
(((Hugs )) and head smooches

I would also suggest keeping new kitty isolated to his own room until you can get a wellness check .

Yoda mom

Staff member
@NoonySphynx look forward to pics and tales of your baby muggy amdand adorable sphynx .

Such a cute avatar pic !

Keep us updated
Hugs n head smooches!

oolahappi

Lairian
If your Sphynx cat picks up the fleas it will definitely be noticeable! Best thing to do is go to the vet with both and have them administer a flea medication. If it's bad, they may give a shot and give you some take home topical to apply. This happened to me years ago when my dog brought fleas home and infected my cat (and me!).

MeadowThorne

Lairian
André travelling a lot and outside daily I do not use anything on him for fleas but he also is bathed 3 times a week because the Florida sand n dirt I sweep 3times a day.

Back