Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

URI and hacking cough at times..

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When I brought my boy home he was having a hard time breathing and blowing green snot.He also has a hacking cough.He has gotten somewhat better,The vet didnt want to give him anything bc he was still young and needed to build up immunities,Now he still has issues at night and in the morning mostly.Breathing through mouth,hacking cough at times and green..mostly more yellow snot now.He'll be 6 months in february.So what are your thoughts?I'm starting to get concerned.He's eating,playing and going to potty ok.I've done the hot shower room thing but it only seems to help a little...

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There are others on the Lair who can better help you with health concerns, but I would like to suggest that you visit another vet.

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Okay forgot to mention both my cats are on lysine treats and he also has some brown teeth..

Luv Sphynx

Lairian
I would also see another vet. Preferably one that has experience with Sphynx. It is fairly common for kittens to get respiratory infections when they are young and change their living environment. The other thing you can do in the mean time if you are in a cold climate with heat on is put him in a room with a humidifier running. When air is dry from heat a humidifier helps people and pets breathe better.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Any humidifier will work. I would keep it going every night where he sleeps. Then, move it to where he is during the day. But, sounds like he does need to see another
Vet. To me, I think he needs meds. They take it much younger than 6 months.
Keep us updated. Best Wishes.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Please take this poor little guy to a different vet... it is not normal for his to still have that. If infections aren't treated, they can actually go into the bone and organs. That is nonsense about him building up immunity, that would only be the case if what he had was viral. And a vet wouldn't be able to tell if what he had is viral without performing tests.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Vet visit is def needed. Humidifiers and L-lysine can only help alleviate his symptoms, but it sounds like he needs medication.

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks for all your replies and I will def. be taking him to the vet.Another if need be.

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Tomorrow I will go see the vet.I got a humidifier and the green stuff is breaking up and coming out.My boy blew a green booger the size of a small worm.Hoping it helps him out.What type of tests should I ask for?

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Our little guy Loki came down with a URI and he is on antibiotics currently which have helped immensely in only a matter of days. I am sure every Vet is different but ours seemed fairly concerned when we mentioned the snotty discharge from his nose and the bit of discharge from his eyes and also the sneezing. She mentioned that they can sometimes fight these infections and viruses on their own but due to Lokis age (soon to be 4 months) and the fact that his nose had a discharge and he was unable to smell and such due to congestion that she thought it was best to put him on antibiotics. Just thought I would share as it sounds somewhat similar.

I hope your visit to the vet helps and your baby gets better soon!

Crombie00

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks, Nicolemorgan he is much better.The humidifier worked and kept doing steam room he rarely has any more green snot rockets! He still coughs but it seems to happen after he eats and they both chow down. Thanks everyone for your well wishes and help!!