Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Toulouse

Lairian
My Toulouse is 5 months. I adopted him neutered. He was fantastic no litter issues. In November he got a URI was put on meds. Cleared up. The end of November we went on vacation. I has people come to the house so he wouldn’t get lonely. We got back and found that he had been peeing in my daughters room. Which is where he sleeps every night. Which I thought may be the case since we left. I used carpet cleaner. Then last week he got another URI on antibiotics again. Although, even when he wasn’t sick. He still breathes very loudly.
Out of no where he peed on a white rug in our guest bathroom. I wash rugged and shut door. This morning he peed on another white rug in a different bathroom. And this afternoon peed in my daughter’s room again. He’s finished another round of antibiotics. He is still having breathing issues during parts of the day. Sometimes gagging. Vets around here are not helpful. What am I doing wrong??? Why this behavior all of a sudden? Help!!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
You have a few things going on. Did your vet ask for a urine sample to,see if crystals/URI? Has anything changed in the house, hanger litter, change where boxes are? Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box. I personally would seek a second opinion and try to bring a pee sample. Please update us and I am sure others will also add ideas.

Are you using an enzymatic cleaner where they have gone? If not they will often continue to keep going there. Here is a good one to,use if you are not already.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...DHw0IAHEelKnH_8R8XhoCMFoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Patti

Toulouse

Lairian
Nothing has changed. And he still uses his litter. He just add the 2 rugs and my daughters carpet in the last week. I just ordered carpet cleaner off amazon. And I’ll be headed to vet tomorrow and will ask. All of a sudden he is becoming worse with the breathing. :(

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
See if your vet can change the antibiotic for the URI. Many have found Doxycycline covers a wide spectrum than some other antibiotics.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing has changed. And he still uses his litter. He just add the 2 rugs and my daughters carpet in the last week. I just ordered carpet cleaner off amazon. And I’ll be headed to vet tomorrow and will ask. All of a sudden he is becoming worse with the breathing. :(
Great advice thus far. See if you can get a video on your phone of his breathing issue to show the vet. :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
Glad you are following up with the vet
Did they take a urije sample to rule out a UTI?
My adopted had a urinary tract infection
He got some Antibitoics and it cleared up

Btw he refused to eat any of the "prescription " food from the vet
So I looked for a low phosphorus food similar to the phos % in the vet sold foods
And found ome he actually eats (not my fav ) but has worked for years for my crew
Proplan urinary focus chicken flavored

Amd for dry Kibble I feed Nutrisource cat and kitten in the blue bag

He has been urine struvite crystal free for years so sticking with it

My vet did a cystiocentesis urine test for his diagnosis and treatment

I also video tape any breathing issues to show my vet - she took ome look st Tobys breathing vodeo amd diagnosed him with seasonal allergies and prescribed chlor tabs

Sending positive vibes on the vet follow up :)

Btw, doxcycline had been an awesome antibiotic for my crew in the past
It is expemsive so my vet calls it in to Walgreems where I get it cheaper when I signed up for the Walgreens family card for $35
That can be used for pet prescription - the card paid for itself with the first fill of doxcycline -
My vet also uses good RX as a comparison to shop for meds amd calls them in at the best price

Many other Antibitoics are free for pets at retailers but not the Doxycylcine

Can you post a video of his breathing ? Does he have any crusties by his nose ?

Sooo glad you are following uo with Your vet
Positive vibes sent

anti icky poo unscented is a great product to use to launder amd for clean ups
Various prices on line

((Healing vibes)))

Toulouse

Lairian
Thank you all of this is very helpful. I actually took video last night. I have an appointment this afternoon. Fingers crossed that I can get a solution for my baby.

Lynn W

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I hope your Vet can come up with the solution for your baby's breathing problem. Fingers crossed too.:)

Toulouse

Lairian
Saw new vet. I like her better she put him on Azithromycin. She said many of her kittens are coming in with “sniffles”. Their nasal passages are swollen. His heart and lungs sound good.
She also put him on cerenia. She said it was a med for vomiting, but it is known for helping sneezing and congestion.

Humidifier helps a lot. He was doing better until this morning. But not sure if it’s what we feed him. Or because he didn’t have humidifier. We notice that he starts having issues breathing as he is eating. So maybe a food thing too???

Vet said if it doesn’t clear up they want to check him for polyps. So still trying to figure it out.

As far as the peeing I bought stuff. Did a carpet clean and watched him look at me and pee in my daughters room. ‍♀️ Still working on that as well. I’m open to any suggestions.

Hopefully soon I’ll have s post that says all better. As of now, still working on things.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Cerenia worked well for my Toby
Positive vibes semt !
Also Anti icky poo unscented is good to use on carpets clothing and okay to add to laundry
A good enzyme cleaner is a must

I also train my adoptees like a dog
Lots of praise amd a treat as soon as they come out of the box

I still do this randomly for Positve reinforcement for good litter habits

Sometimes location location
Can you add another box ?
Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

Keep us updated

Back