Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

URI In 6 month old baby

Cassandras07

Lairian
Good morning!
I am a new mama to two beautiful Sphynx Boys one is a 3 month old Tabby (his name is Raisin) and our second is an almost 6 month old button nose cutie (not sure if he’s considered calico?) I’ve attached pics..And he doesn’t have a name yet since it hasn’t even been 48 hours that I have him and been trying to just get him healthy. They are from different litters so they are separated. I’ve had the baby for a week and the bigger one since Friday night. Unfortunately the older one got sick the night he got here! Yesterday the vet confirmed it was URI. He prescribed antibiotics and said to isolate them for 10 days.
My little one (raisin) also got his last rounds of shots yesterday so I am worried sick that he will also get sick and he’s not fully protected I am even considering taking the older one back to lessen the threat for the little one since doc said he is contagious . Is URI that bad? What is the likelihood of the other one getting it? Has anyone else had a similar experience? They have been in separate rooms ( haven’t even met yet) and separate food containers, etc….we did pet him on Friday when we met him and as soon as we got home we played w the little one…is that enough to get him sick since we didn’t wash our hands in between? How long would it take for me to see symptoms in the little one? I haven’t even been able to sleep at night. I’m a little paranoid and don’t want to make a decision out of anxiety of the unknown. Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thank you .

Attachments

• 0F2ADBED-13EC-41CA-A8A0-36FA19727E61.jpeg
    0F2ADBED-13EC-41CA-A8A0-36FA19727E61.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 489FD096-7D85-422D-A880-DB33148D65D0.png
    489FD096-7D85-422D-A880-DB33148D65D0.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 21

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
First…welcome and congrats oh your babies. Try not to stress too much, but yes, keep them separated…different litters, different germs. URIs are common when going to new homes…not fully developed immune systems and stress can make for a URI. Washing hands is always important just like with we humans. Your vet is giving great direction. What antibiotic has been prescribed?

The little guy is not a calico but most likely bicolored or a tuxedo…and stinkin cute! @Cassandras07

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to you and your adorable bunch. Just to let you know we feel your stress and concern as 95% of our babies got a URI when we brought them home within the first week. This is normal and nothing you can ever do will prevent it from happening again when bringing a new baby home. Just help them to adjust and distress them with lots of love. Which your two are sure going to get in bundles.

CATZZZMEOW is our beacon of light ( with many years of Sphynx tales notched on her belt ) and she has given you the best advice ever. Don’t stress them anymore. You have done great separating them. Give each one love and attention until the storm is over. Which will be very soon. If you have any concerns we are here to help you. This is the great bonding period for you and your babies. Enjoy it

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cassandras07 , Hugs n head smooches, deep breath, you got this. we are here for you. several of us have had newly homed kitty's get a URI, it is not uncommon. be sure to see the above replies. I got meds on board and all cleared up and never an issue again, my oldest is 12 yrs old.
let us know what meds your vet prescribed. we can offer tips too on pilling, giving meds. you got this.

keep us updated often, we are here for you. all paws are family

Cassandras07

Lairian
Thank you so much everyone! I feel better knowing it’s something that will pass, I’ve been worried sick and haven’t been able to sleep…half cuz I’m worried and the other half because he keeps meowing
He was prescribed amoxicillin? I mix it with some wet food and water to make like a soup like consistency. This way he can stay hydrated. Today marks 2nd day on antibiotics…how long to see some improvement? He is still really congested had trouble breathing and diarrhea. I got him a space heater and have been putting him in a steamy hot restroom. Any other pointers appreciated.
Thank you so much again for sharing your knowledge.

Cassandras07

Lairian
I’m also just comparing him to my little one…he was a breeze to bring home…his only nuisance bitting toes at night . Day one he was eating out of my palms, playful, didn’t get sick so this little guy really surprised me.

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you so much everyone! I feel better knowing it’s something that will pass, I’ve been worried sick and haven’t been able to sleep…half cuz I’m worried and the other half because he keeps meowing
He was prescribed amoxicillin? I mix it with some wet food and water to make like a soup like consistency. This way he can stay hydrated. Today marks 2nd day on antibiotics…how long to see some improvement? He is still really congested had trouble breathing and diarrhea. I got him a space heater and have been putting him in a steamy hot restroom. Any other pointers appreciated.
Thank you so much again for sharing your knowledge.
Bless mine never out grew a snotty nose. But all are different at 2 and a half I sometimes or actually more often I have to wipe his nose and he is a sneezer of mucus. I found chicken was a big nasal congestion problem so much so it fills up both nasal cavity’s that can get blocked. That I need to clean it. I keep humidifier going 24/7 in winter and the congestion appears to come out when he sneezes. We have centralised under floor heating and it dries the air.

Give you little one lots of love while he is sick as they are not happy. It helps him bond to you as you are there when he needs you the most

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
You should start seeing a change hopefully today. Just stay on it like you are…if you see your baby getting worse get in right away at this point. It takes a couple of days for the antibiotic to kick in and the tummy part you can square away after the URI is gone…antibiotics can so upset their tummy. Please keep us updated in this thread.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Congrats with your two boys. They are adorable. Hope the meds will make yoir boy feel better soon. Sending healing vibes

Cassandras07

Lairian
Aww thank you so much for checking in! He is MUCH better and yesterday started to play and pounce his breathing is much better but still a little congested. He is still also having drainage from one eye only ( bit now it’s more clear/watery) and has diarrhea. He is on day 5 of antibiotics. Does this progress seem normal?
Thank you so much again, I’ve developed cold sores from the stress and lack of sleep! (He meows at night) they are just kitties but I love them so much and just want them to be happy and healthy so they can enjoy each other and their new home…. I know y’all can relate to this feeling.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Cassandras07 so happy to hear your baby is starting to feel better. Just keep an eye on it…if still congested after meds are done, contact your vet as they might do a second dose or prescribe a new one to kick it. The antibiotic Doxycycline is one we see often has great success. Now I hope you can get some sleep!

Cassandras07

Lairian
Hello! How long did it take for your babies congestion to go away? It’s been 10 days and although oatmeal ( the tuxedo one) he does look better he is still really congested and sneezing.
Also, I had company over and they weren’t aware the cats hadn’t met so they met yesterday….I just saw two little naked things running down stairs and then realized it was the babies he’s already off meds and finished all of his antibiotics…is he still contagious to the 4 month old (raisin)?
On the plus side…they LOVED each other….started playing and running around lll and then cried bloody murder when I separated them, no hissing or aggressiveness at all. That at least was an easy transition. At this point, should I just let them be? Now I have two crying babies and on the edge of losing my sanity with no sleep. (I teach middle schoolers )
I have a set of 8 year old twins and I feel like I’m doing it all over again with these two!! Lol
Appreciate you all

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cassandras07 , be sure to update the vet. some take a little longer course of antibiotics, ask your vet if still possibility if contagious of still showing signs. I would keep separated until you talk with your vet for peace of mind and be on the safe side. I supplement with some probiotic flortiflora when on antibiotics , you can ask your vet if would be beneficial.

glad they got along great with the surprise introduction.
**be super careful with house cleaners. I would have sign up inside and perhaps put kitties up when they are cleaning. make sure if they are microchipped to call the company directly to make sure they have your correct info, contact numbers for peace of mind. these guys are lightening fast by doors.

yes, our babies certainly keep us on our toes. I swear they are cat, dog , monkey baby all in one for life.

hugs n head smooches.
following for updates

Back