Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

TWPInc

Lairian
Good Morning,

I am reaching to anyone on here that have any history of cats with a urinary blockage. I ended up in the er vet last week sunday with Beauie. He was near death due to a blackage. He was catheterized and help over night. I picked him up and took him to our vet first thing monday where he was continued to be treated. All of his test came back good. Nothing showed on xrays and all blood levels were normal. We have been treating him with pain meds and Prazosin. He is now urinating but he still seems to be struggling. He will go a few days of large amount of urine and then have days where there are only little quarter sized spots in his box. He is also urinating outside of his littler box on some occasions. He is eating well, drinking lots of water, and playing like a maniac! Does anyone know if the urinary blackage can then turn into a UTI. Any information or insight on this would be amazing. This poor kitten has been sick since I rescued him. He is also suffering from ringworm that we can not seem to get rid of. He was on fluconazole for some time and has been getting the lime-sulfer every couple of days. I have been disinfecting the house once a week and doing more laundry than I can handle. I just can't seem to get him cleared up. My main concern is the Urinary issues. He is only 6 months so he is a little too young to be delaing with this. He is now on a special diet for urinary disorders. Any help would be great! This poor kitten has been sick since day one and he doesnt deserve it.

Attachments

• 1888601_10100362331012788_3276918860657309422_n.jpg
    1888601_10100362331012788_3276918860657309422_n.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 39

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
There are a few members who have experienced blockages so I hope they pipe up. I have dealt with ringworm, so if you need and extra advice feel free to ask me. I agree the UTI issue is definitely more important. Just know ringworm is contagious so if you can confine your baby to an area for a while try to. Humans can get it. BTW welcome!!!

Patti

TWPInc

Lairian
There are a few members who have experienced blockages so I hope they pipe up. I have dealt with ringworm, so if you need and extra advice feel free to ask me. I agree the UTI issue is definitely more important. Just know ringworm is contagious so if you can confine your baby to an area for a while try to. Humans can get it. BTW welcome!!!

Patti

Hi Patti! Thanks for your response! Yes, the ringworm in a complete nightmare! We had him almost cleared up and then it showed up again. It's been passed from Beauie to me and to one of my pups. We just left the vet and the good news is that he is passing urine...but he isnt wanting to fully empty his bladder. So we know there is no blockage but something is causing him to hold it. He is back on pain meds and meds to relax his bladder muscles. I am afraid that secluding him is going to stress him out too much. I think that could be part of why the urinary issues began. We had him quarantined for his ringworm and he hated it! I am wondering if the stress from that caused it all. So now I am struggling to decide what to do now...

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Is he showing any signs that he might not like the litter or litterbox? Like a lot of flicking of his paws, not covering, reluctance to go into the box.

Things like this can cause them to not want to go regularly. Though sometimes in this case you will see them pee elsewhere to still relieve themselves. Are you using the same type of box and litter as the breeder/previous owner was? Might be worth a try.

I have heard the special food can help a lot so I am hoping that kicks in soon.

TWPInc

Lairian
Is he showing any signs that he might not like the litter or litterbox? Like a lot of flicking of his paws, not covering, reluctance to go into the box.

Things like this can cause them to not want to go regularly. Though sometimes in this case you will see them pee elsewhere to still relieve themselves. Are you using the same type of box and litter as the breeder/previous owner was? Might be worth a try.

I have heard the special food can help a lot so I am hoping that kicks in soon.

I hope it kick in soon too! I am going to change his litter today! Do you have one you recommend. He had no issues with his litter box and litter for the first 4 months I had him. His issues began after his quarantine for the ring worm.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ah ok. That might not be it then. We use Dr Elsey's Precious Cat and have good success with it. As long as the cat seems comfortable standing and digging in it, then I would consider it a good one - covering up the smell is a bonus :)

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Our Maine Coon had a blockage this summer. He would start and stop again, but finally with some spasm and pain meds he's been going fine. He was on the spasm med for about 5 weeks. His food has been changed too and he has a fountain to promote drinking. I hope your baby starts going well soon!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you. I know people here have dealt with these issues.
I haven't thank the Lord. They will chime in and help I'm sure.
Hope you get him healed with both issues.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes FLUTD same process you have gone through nearly died survived on royal canin food before dying of renal failure

WithLVoe

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes, my little Elmo, unfortunately he needed emergency surgery to fix the issue. He is now "a girl" lol! he made a full recovery and its been about 5 years, and he has since not had any issues thankfully.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@TWPInc , Hello and welcome to you and handsome Beauie! thank you for rescuing him and giving him sooo much love and care-

My guy is being treated now for urinary crystals and a little bacteria present in his urine test by cystiocyntesis to get a clean sample. Has Beauie had a urine test to rule our crystals?

We went home antibiotics ( free pet antibiotics ( I got liquid suspension amoxicillin at Pubic pharmacy) if vet calls it in, and torb/val liquid pain meds from the vet-

We put him temporarily on hills prescription c/d urinary stress chicken stew( new flavor) - I got at the vet - they hade a rebate and you can call hills for coupons- it is the only c/d food he will eat

****My vet suggested trying to increase water intake and best to feed canned only food- or at least canned with some kibble

I got a drinkwell Platinium fountain at chewy.com - only the other cats use it so far
So I change their water bowls several times a day which seems to encourage more drinking when they see me fill bowls-
I use different bowl types too - they each have their preferences-

I use cats pride unscented fresh and light scoopable litter in the green jug
I scoop constantly :)
Then I stick a hot tub / pool spa test strip in his pee puddle clump after he get out of the box to check his urine pH instead of trying to put it under him while he squats..
***It gave me the same results as the vets PH test the same day btw. Vet agreed it worked

Check the phosphate level in the dry food of that's what he eats - you have to all the cat food company and ask for the dry after phosphate level which usually is not listed on the bag- ask your vet about pH level and UTI

Vet suggested not free feeding dry- I feed 2x a day now -and he now looks forward to canned food :) followed up with some lifes abundance dry food.
I feed one 3 oz can of hills c/d urinary stress chicken stew in the morning and a can of lifes abundance instinctive choice at night-

I don't have current experience with ring worm- Patti is a great resource on this-

I only remember as a kid I got ring worm from our dog - and the vet treated me too! According to my dad

Hang in there- I hope to hear good update on Beauie

image.jpg Allegedly ingredients for stress induced UTI
Not crazy about ingredients but if it helps heal right now we are trying it
The girl at vet accidently sold me this can with the red strip urinary stress and he eats it

Drinkwell Platinium pet fountain
image.jpg

Last edited:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Good Morning,

I am reaching to anyone on here that have any history of cats with a urinary blockage. I ended up in the er vet last week sunday with Beauie. He was near death due to a blackage. He was catheterized and help over night. I picked him up and took him to our vet first thing monday where he was continued to be treated. All of his test came back good. Nothing showed on xrays and all blood levels were normal. We have been treating him with pain meds and Prazosin. He is now urinating but he still seems to be struggling. He will go a few days of large amount of urine and then have days where there are only little quarter sized spots in his box. He is also urinating outside of his littler box on some occasions. He is eating well, drinking lots of water, and playing like a maniac! Does anyone know if the urinary blackage can then turn into a UTI. Any information or insight on this would be amazing. This poor kitten has been sick since I rescued him. He is also suffering from ringworm that we can not seem to get rid of. He was on fluconazole for some time and has been getting the lime-sulfer every couple of days. I have been disinfecting the house once a week and doing more laundry than I can handle. I just can't seem to get him cleared up. My main concern is the Urinary issues. He is only 6 months so he is a little too young to be delaing with this. He is now on a special diet for urinary disorders. Any help would be great! This poor kitten has been sick since day one and he doesnt deserve it.

Also, here is a good thread on litter issues and peeing outside the box. http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/sphynx-pooping-or-peeing-outside-the-litter-box.24319/

Back