Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Urinary Tract Obstruction

Adalie

Lairian
Last Saturday our sweet Atticus was frantically trying to pee but couldn't. We immediately took him to the vet where they emptied his bladder and tried to massage the blockage out by hand. Unfortunately, this did not work. We transferred him to a 24-hour vet and had a catheter put in. Three catheters later he was still unable to urinate on his own. He had to undergo a perineal urethrostomy. When the vet opened him up, he found a severe infection, most likely from one of the catheters. He told us he almost called us and said there was nothing he could do but after 3 hours he had finished the surgery. Now Atticus is at very high risk of multiple things going wrong, because of the lack of tissue that was there to work with. We appreciate any good juju you can send our way.

I really wanted to post to give kitty parents ways to avoid this happening, as it is relatively common for male cats to become blocked. The most important thing is making sure your kitty is taking in as much water as possible. Wet food is the most effective way to do this. We also purchased a pet fountain that encourages cats to drink more. Most important is to take your cat to the vet IMMEDIATELY if you notice they cannot pee or are straining to pee. Without treatment, the kidneys can fail and be fatal. Keep your cats hydrated and know when to seek vet care.

Attachments

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@Adalie I am so sorry your boy is going through this. Lair Prayers are sent in hopes he heals quickly and no post surgery issues arise. Thank you for sharing the things to look for in hopes other members will be more educated.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
So sorry to hear about your boy. I too had this happen five or so years ago to one of my sphynx. Be very vigilant. My cat almost blocked back up twice and we were lucky to have meds on hand to start treatment straight away. The vets said it is very common to try and block back up until the infection is all gone.
Thoughts and prayers with you all

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Adalie , comtinued good juju positve vibes for Atticus

Please keep us update

Kursty

Lairian
The same thing happened to one of my Sphinx and my vet highly recommended getting a Zerowater filter. Apparently it's the best for filtering out minerals in tap water.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sending healing vibes and positive energy to Atticus. Hope he'll be better. What a scare for you!

Adalie

Lairian
Update: Atticus is now at home. He had to be kennelled for a week (thankfully he is a calm kitty and did not mind). We had a vet appointment yesterday and so far everything is looking good. The vet has some concern about the bottom stitches healing because the tissue was so infected in that area before the surgery. We will watch it closely to make sure it heals properly. He has to have cream put on the wound three times a day to reduce swelling. If everything continues to go well he will get his stitches out next week. For now, he is able to roam freely while we are home (unfortunately has to keep the cone on) and is enjoying being back in his blanket forts on the couch. Thank you for the good thoughts!

Attachments

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
So happy to see your update and he is home. Happy healing vibes are sent. He has the sweetest little face.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wishing you happy healing. Glad he is home