Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Urinating outside litter box/urinary crystals

Yoda mom

Staff member
@GatosLocos , you can check with your vet if "Buspar" buspirone would be helpful. Many years ago I adopted a bengal cat stud. Vet gave me an rx of Buspar I used for a little while when I first adopted him, and it helped him during the transition. after a while he did not need it anymore.
" the usual use is for urine-marking in cats but it can also be used to relieve anxiety in timid cats who are bullied by more dominant cats"

GatosLocos

Lairian
Update: so the vet did an ultra sound wanted to check for kidney stones or if he’s having more crystals. Luckily everything came back negative! So the vet suggested that it’s behavioral:( so she suggested that we put him on Zoloft to help him with his stress that’s causing him to do this.

So he’s been put on gabapentin for a week to see how he reacts and if it’s good they will either continue/ adapt him to Zoloft. This really makes me sad that he has to be put on something like this. I know it’s most likely my (not so friendly) neighbor who has indoor/outdoor cats that come to our windows and taunt him. This is the only think I can’t think of that would cause him this stress.

As I mentioned there is someone always home with him so he’s not left alone long hours. It’s my husband and I with my dad and grandmother. We all work besides my grandmother and he’s really attached to her because she’s always home. I know it would be better is he had a sister or brother to keep him company but it’s not in the budget right now.

I really hope these meds help him relax. Other than that he’s eat drinking and playin as usual. He hasn’t urinated on the couch since receiving this new med.

I will update if medications change and how he adapts to this new change:(

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We had a girl that we tried every thing before we had to put her on “kitty Prozac.” We really didn’t want to thinking it would make her lethargic etc. Turns out it was the best thing we could have done. It took a couple of weeks to work, and she stopped peeing outside of the box. She was far from lethargic and we realized how much happier she must be, not feeling stressed. As a human we know how horrible stress feels on our bodies/brains…taking the edge off made her more relaxed. I hope that med works for your baby. I give you kudos for trying everything to help elevate their stress and not giving up. @GatosLocos

GatosLocos

Lairian
We had a girl that we tried every thing before we had to put her on “kitty Prozac.” We really didn’t want to thinking it would make her lethargic etc. Turns out it was the best thing we could have done. It took a couple of weeks to work, and she stopped peeing outside of the box. She was far from lethargic and we realized how much happier she must be, not feeling stressed. As a human we know how horrible stress feels on our bodies/brains…taking the edge off made her more relaxed. I hope that med works for your baby. I give you kudos for trying everything to help elevate their stress and not giving up. @GatosLocos
Thank you for giving me your insight on this! I don’t know anyone else who’s had their kitty on these types of meds and if they are long term, but you telling me that it helped your baby gives me hope. It’s funny miklo was a gift to me for my birthday in 2021 when I lost a lot of people close to me and I just had a lot of anxiety the most awful feeling to have and then miklo came into my life and now he’s the one with the anxiety:( I’m willing to try everything I can’t give up! I love him too much

GatosLocos

Lairian
Hello everyone! I wanted to update everyone who has been posting on here and sending me great suggestions and positive vibes.

Miklo was put on gabapentin and fluoxetine together. He had a few accidents in the beginning still urinating on the same couch even with a cover on it. (Vet said it will take about 4 weeks to get full affect).

I put a cat bed on the couch where he’s been peeing and to my surprise that actually helped! He refused to sleep there but he no longer pees (I’m assuming because the knows that’s one of his beds and why would he pee on his comfort spot) he did however after that pee under the dinning room table (where he originally peed the first time when he had the crystals) hasn’t happened since then. I think the medication is finally helping, although it DOES make him super tired and he will nap after his meds and then up later to play like normal. Also been using defusers of feliway and the spray and he just doesn’t care for it or doesn’t seem to work it seems.

My awful neighbor with the feral cats are still by our windows and front door, I’ve had to look online for a pest deterrent I found a sprinkler that’s motion detection so they can spray them with water to make them stay away, just ordered it see if that helps them from coming around. I just wish they could either keep their cats inside or do something about them tormenting my pet outside the house.

Have any one of you had issues with outside cats bothering yours? What did you do to correct it?

GatosLocos

Lairian
Was your girl given gabapentin with the kitty Prozac? Or just on it alone? My vet gave miklo both together and says he should stay on both! I feel like that’s a little excessive but I’m not a vet.

GatosLocos

Lairian
Hello everyone, just wanted to give possibliy my last update. Miklo has been on the kitty Prozac and gabapentin for a while now about 2 months. He was doing very good in the beginning but we have started back to square one.

He is continuing to pee on the same sofa on the water proof blanket I have placed just in case he did decide to continue.

He takes his medication just find everyday and he just started his urinating again.

This last week I was out of town (just for 3 days) The day I was leaving I had forgot something in the house and I caught him trying to cover up his pee spot on the couch.

my dad watched him the days my husband and I were gone and He said on his way to work he caught miklo getting ready to squat and pee on the couch so he grabbed him and took him to the box and he waited for him to pee and he did.

Fast forward today, I took him on a walk( he loves walks) and played and the second I had my back turned (right after our walk) he peed on the couch on the same spot.

I don’t get it? It’s almost like he does it when one of us leave the house however today I was with him all day and gave him his walk and he still peed on the couch same spot?!

Yes I’ve cleaned everything with enzyme cleaner multiple times and still, same with the feliway defuser and spray.

We are getting rid of this couch and getting a new one. It should be coming soon and I’m already planning on buying couch cushion water proof covers. And possibly a Mat with an Alarm so he can keep off. Idk what else to do at this point? When we get the new couch (it’s smaller than the one now) we are going to place his plant pot litter box near it maybe that will help? You guys I’m so over this and I just want him to stop and not feel like I’m abandoning him, he’s already on the medications he should be feeling separation anxiety anymore if that is what it is

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
It is very hard to fully clean a couch, so I am hoping getting the new couch does the trick since there will be no old pee scent. I also suggest before you leave the house place him in the litter box. It might add a few seconds to your plans in running out the door, but it might help as well. You might speak to your vet about the dosage of the med, especially since it did start to work, he might want to tweak it a bit more. @GatosLocos

Yoda mom

Staff member
@GatosLocos , agree with checking with vet about tweeking dosage?

another option you can ask your vet about is a medication called Buspar " Buspirone".

sharing, decades ago I adopted a retired recently neutered stud / show bengal cat. he was put on Buspar and helped alot in combination of training him like a dog to the litterbox. I kept a treat jar by the litterbox. when he went in the box, praise and an immediate treat on the floor in front of the litterbox when he got out. he got into a routine and for his entire life I kept up the praise and random treats. he would actually look at me and go to the litter box and pee and come out and meow for a treat. he was able to ween off the buspar and did really good.

my heart goes out to you. I know you are doing everything including a new couch and covers. highly recommend the anti icky poo I shared in previous comments. they sell an injector too for carpets you could call company and ask how products can be used on couch.

I have I believe the same plant pot type litter box. Buddha cat also preferred a high sided large uncovered litterbox and unscented litter.
when I first brought him home and having him on meds, I would use a a spare room with litterbox to put him in all set up with his cat tree and one of my shirts in his cat tree when I left the house. I left on tv and a radio. I closed window blinds so he could not see roaming neighs cat outside. he was supervised free roaming building up time free roaming and continued praise and treats with using the litterbox . with time he was free roaming and no meds.

another member shared success using the anti icky poo on a duvet that was the pee spot. not sure which enzyme cleaner you used? as for the feliway, when I brought 11 month old Toby home and had him neutered asap I tried the feliway. it actually agitated him.. he would go up to it sniff and growl tail twitch, so I had to remove it.

my vet also carries anti icky poo . I got it online on chewy, there is scented and unscented.

let us know what the vet says about tweeking dosage since it helped him.
not sure if the walks stimulate his senses to inappropriate urinate ? something you can ask vet.

sending hugs for your perseverance.. following closely for updates. hugs n head smooches Team Miklo

GatosLocos

Lairian
It is very hard to fully clean a couch, so I am hoping getting the new couch does the trick since there will be no old pee scent. I also suggest before you leave the house place him in the litter box. It might add a few seconds to your plans in running out the door, but it might help as well. You might speak to your vet about the dosage of the med, especially since it did start to work, he might want to tweak it a bit more. @GatosLocos
I agree, the first time cleaning our couch (it is a leather couch by the way) it was “easier” to clean some what until the pee going between the cushions where there actual fabric. Luckly for us this couch is very old so we are finally getting rid of it.

As for taking him to the litter box before we leave he have tried that and he will either jump out or meow at us cause he knows we are leaving or he might go pee. Most of the time when one of us leaves he’s still asleep so we don’t bother him. So that’s another thing.

So he either he wakes up after we leave and pees the couch or while all of us are sleeping.

GatosLocos

Lairian
@GatosLocos , agree with checking with vet about tweeking dosage?

another option you can ask your vet about is a medication called Buspar " Buspirone".

sharing, decades ago I adopted a retired recently neutered stud / show bengal cat. he was put on Buspar and helped alot in combination of training him like a dog to the litterbox. I kept a treat jar by the litterbox. when he went in the box, praise and an immediate treat on the floor in front of the litterbox when he got out. he got into a routine and for his entire life I kept up the praise and random treats. he would actually look at me and go to the litter box and pee and come out and meow for a treat. he was able to ween off the buspar and did really good.

my heart goes out to you. I know you are doing everything including a new couch and covers. highly recommend the anti icky poo I shared in previous comments. they sell an injector too for carpets you could call company and ask how products can be used on couch.

I have I believe the same plant pot type litter box. Buddha cat also preferred a high sided large uncovered litterbox and unscented litter.
when I first brought him home and having him on meds, I would use a a spare room with litterbox to put him in all set up with his cat tree and one of my shirts in his cat tree when I left the house. I left on tv and a radio. I closed window blinds so he could not see roaming neighs cat outside. he was supervised free roaming building up time free roaming and continued praise and treats with using the litterbox . with time he was free roaming and no meds.

another member shared success using the anti icky poo on a duvet that was the pee spot. not sure which enzyme cleaner you used? as for the feliway, when I brought 11 month old Toby home and had him neutered asap I tried the feliway. it actually agitated him.. he would go up to it sniff and growl tail twitch, so I had to remove it.

my vet also carries anti icky poo . I got it online on chewy, there is scented and unscented.

let us know what the vet says about tweeking dosage since it helped him.
not sure if the walks stimulate his senses to inappropriate urinate ? something you can ask vet.

sending hugs for your perseverance.. following closely for updates. hugs n head smooches Team Miklo
this is very good advice. I’ve seen online about separating him from a room however our home we really small and I don’t have an extra bathroom or room to place him that I’d feel he was comfortable there.

As for the enzyme cleaner it’s anti icky poo it does work and I’m already ready to buy 2 more bottles.

As for the feliway did nothing he hated it as well.

Just got back from the vet and the vet upped his dose of the Fluxetine (kitty Prozac) and continue to gabapentin with it. I really hope this works as we get rid of the sofa.

I didn’t see this message till after I got back so I haven’t heard of the “busbar” is it like the kitty Prozac?

Also praising with treats when using the little box is a good idea I’ll add that too.

I’m looking into getting another kitty idk if that would help? I know these kitty are so sociable and is going to work bothers him although my grandma is always home she’s retired so he’s never “alone” but I know it’s not the same with all of us gone. I asked the vet and she said it’s 50/50 cause he could react bad to another cat?! Idk you guys I’m so frustrated and I just want him to live a happy kitty life:(

Yoda mom

Staff member
@GatosLocos , thank you for keeping us updated, all paws are family. hope the dosage adjustment helps.
following for updates.

personally, I would not add another kitty at the moment. it could add stress especially since you saw progress with the lower dosage . agree with your vet's advise. slow and steady progress worked for my buddha cat to settle in.

yes, buspar Buspirone is a med for anxiety that some vets prescribe for inappropriate urinating.

"Buspirone (brand names: BuSpar®, Bustab®) is an anti-anxiety medication used to treat behavior disorders such as fears, phobias, and social anxieties. It has also been used in cats for urine spraying, psychogenic alopecia, and motion sickness."

let's see how the new dosage and new couch and waterproof cover.

forgot to ask how many litter boxes you have ? location of? some can get freaked and not use the litterbox when it is next to a washer dryer when it turns on.

you got this. hugs n head smooches. we are here for you

*** was his urine rechecked to see if he has maybe recurring crystals in his urine?
has he had antibiotics for the urine crystals detected you mentioned earlier in post. ? if so maybe recheck urine and another round of Meds you can ask your vet.

GatosLocos

Lairian
@GatosLocos , thank you for keeping us updated, all paws are family. hope the dosage adjustment helps.
following for updates.

personally, I would not add another kitty at the moment. it could add stress especially since you saw progress with the lower dosage . agree with your vet's advise. slow and steady progress worked for my buddha cat to settle in.

yes, buspar Buspirone is a med for anxiety that some vets prescribe for inappropriate urinating.

"Buspirone (brand names: BuSpar®, Bustab®) is an anti-anxiety medication used to treat behavior disorders such as fears, phobias, and social anxieties. It has also been used in cats for urine spraying, psychogenic alopecia, and motion sickness."

let's see how the new dosage and new couch and waterproof cover.

forgot to ask how many litter boxes you have ? location of? some can get freaked and not use the litterbox when it is next to a washer dryer when it turns on.

you got this. hugs n head smooches. we are here for you

*** was his urine rechecked to see if he has maybe recurring crystals in his urine?
has he had antibiotics for the urine crystals detected you mentioned earlier in post. ? if so maybe recheck urine and another round of Meds you can ask your vet.
Yes he was checked again after the first time having the crystals and the vet gave him another round of the antibiotic since she said it couldn’t hurt. After he was cleared from the crystals he continued to urinate a couple weeks AFTER being cleared and that’s when we had noticed my awful neighbors (no one on the block likes them they are nothing but trouble) cats were taunting my poor miklo by our windows and front door.

So we did what we could blocking the views etc. and that’s when vet put him on the kitty Prozac. Which is worked for a short time and then back to square one.

After the whole crystals in the urine issue we had added the new pot plant litter box that he refused to use at first but now he does. That one is placed in our hall way by our bathroom, his original one is in the laundry room. He’s never had an issue using it even with laundry being washed. I have heard about that isn’t a good area if they are bothered, however he actually uses that one more then the other.

As for the busbar I will defiantly ask about it if this med increase doesn’t work.

These last 2 days we have put a plastic sheet (it’s for shower glass door for decor) that we haven’t put up yet and we left it on the sofa were he pees on and magically he hasn’t peed there! (Because it’s covering the spot he pees on) I also tried foil on part of the sofa that wasn’t completely covered by thr plastic sheet and he hasn’t touched that either.

What I’m thinking is 1. Yes he probably still pees there because of his sent. So if we get the new sofa he won’t smell his pee and I can just use another form of plastic cover to shield and also adding the water proof sofa cushion covers.

I really do want to get him a companion because of his separation anxiety. He will cry if all of us are gone. But like I mentioned someone is always home, it’s always very rare is all of us leave. :(

Back