Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Love4Sphynx

Lairian
Here with an update on Izzy!

Her skin is completely healed (y) -- no inflammation, normal texture, all peach fuzz regrown, not itchy, flaky, or rolling! She still has persistent hyperpigmentation, but that will take much longer to return to normal, if it ever does.

She is in the middle of her course of Terbinafine anti-fungal, and I do think it's helping her toenails (which tend to be brown and greasy but are improving), and she is still getting Zymox with hydrocortisone 3x/week in her ears, which I also think has decreased the head shaking, but not stopped it completely. She's still getting Zyrtec, which we'll probably stop soon, as it hasnt completely eliminated the lingering symptoms and the main allergic episode is past.

My opinion at this time is that she has an underlying, fairly minor allergy, most likely environmental (since food changes havent helped), that is making her shake her head and have a few respiratory symptoms (sniffles occasionally, lung inflammation visible on xray etc). On top of that I believe she's allergic to coconut oil, and so by applying it to her skin (chronic low grade exposure) then also feeding it to her (acute high exposure) she had a sudden big allergic reaction to that.

The yeast issue seems to me to be chronic and low grade-- I may have just not concentrated on cleaning her toes thoroughly enough, so I'll be sure to do that once she's off the Terbinafine.

Right now I'd say we've returned to pre-coconut oil conditions haha

One thing of note that we're all a bit confused by. Since being on the Terbinafine Izzy has quadrupled her water intake. A full blood chem panel was run and her organ functions are all good (liver complications can be indicated with anti-fungals), so the vet has no idea why she's drinking more water, as it's not a known side effect for this med. She is in really good spirits so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Here are some pics from yesterday! As you can see the spots of hyperpigmentation in the previous pics spread to cover her entire back, but from the close up you can see that skin texture is totally normal (she looks a tad dry because she just had a bath)

Overall I'm very pleased. I hope everyone else here continues to see improvement with their babies also

Attachments

• IzzyBack3.jpg
    IzzyBack3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 439
  • IzzyBack4.jpg
    IzzyBack4.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 452

Cassi

Lairian
Hello Everyone. I'm somewhat relieved to find this thread as my CoCo has been miserable since early December. The photos Pussiette posted looked exactly like CoCo during a terrible breakout. We have done steroids as well as antibiotics and they only seem to help temporarily. We have tried Ivermectin as well. Her diet is a limited ingredient venison and lamb wet food by Nature's Variety Instinct and her dry food is the limited ingredient rabbit formula. I did read that there was a coconut allergy and the dry food does have coconut in it. Her skin know has gone from the large bloody hives to what is almost like chicken skin. Like I have read in previous posts, there has been no change in anything (litter, detergent etc.) I'm going to talk to her vet tomorrow about some if the things surfaced here (Zyrtec, Terbinafine and the yeast on the toes). I'm just at my wits end and poor CoCo looks terrible, although she hasn't slowed down very much.

Was Izzy's condition similar to what Ella's was? Thanks for the help!!

Attachments

• cocoskin.jpg
    cocoskin.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 476

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Cassi
Hi. So sorry you have been having issues with your girl also. This looks a lot what my Ki looks like. She was put on a new med about three weeks ago and we are down to every other day. Her skin is staying clear. We will probably always have to medicate our girl but are hoping to maintain a pulse dose at either every third day or in bad times every other day. We are also on limited ingredients diet. It does take up to three months for allergens to leave their system if it is a food alllergy. So don't give up too soon with the diet.

Cassi

Lairian
@Cassi
Hi. So sorry you have been having issues with your girl also. This looks a lot what my Ki looks like. She was put on a new med about three weeks ago and we are down to every other day. Her skin is staying clear. We will probably always have to medicate our girl but are hoping to maintain a pulse dose at either every third day or in bad times every other day. We are also on limited ingredients diet. It does take up to three months for allergens to leave their system if it is a food alllergy. So don't give up too soon with the diet.
Thank you. By chance do you know the name of the medication Ki is on?

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ziwipeak does a venison wet food. Grain free.
@nfaerie I have been in touch with this company today AMAZING - hormone free, antibiotic free - just amazing. Ella will be trying REAL VENISON next - so if that's good then we should be good to try this. THANK YOU FOR THE RECOMMENDATION!!!!!!!!

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello Everyone. I'm somewhat relieved to find this thread as my CoCo has been miserable since early December. The photos Pussiette posted looked exactly like CoCo during a terrible breakout. We have done steroids as well as antibiotics and they only seem to help temporarily. We have tried Ivermectin as well. Her diet is a limited ingredient venison and lamb wet food by Nature's Variety Instinct and her dry food is the limited ingredient rabbit formula. I did read that there was a coconut allergy and the dry food does have coconut in it. Her skin know has gone from the large bloody hives to what is almost like chicken skin. Like I have read in previous posts, there has been no change in anything (litter, detergent etc.) I'm going to talk to her vet tomorrow about some if the things surfaced here (Zyrtec, Terbinafine and the yeast on the toes). I'm just at my wits end and poor CoCo looks terrible, although she hasn't slowed down very much.

Was Izzy's condition similar to what Ella's was? Thanks for the help!!

Thanks for posting I know how emotionally difficult this is.

What have you fed her since she has been having these troubles?

Has her poo been affected too - the IBS goes hand in hand.

I would suggest an elimination diet working with your vet on ONE NOVEL protein. A FOOD DIARY and DIARY of everything she is exposed to.

Remove synthetic bedding - cotton only - go back to basics, search me for my posts =-= I've posted quite a bit as have others. :)

Please keep us posted.

Cassi

Lairian
Thank you Pussiette. Ok...CoCo's diet has not changed since she came home with us in October. She is on the Nature's Variety specifically because it is free of all common allergens and they make a frozen raw option as well. Her stools have been totally normal this entire time, that is one reason I question a food allergy, although she can still be a bit gassy. My original thought was a reaction to fabric as she has quiet the wardrobe, and her brother Vader, also had a breakout when I put on a new outfit before washing it, such a stupid mistake. I took both cats in (keep in mind, CoCo has been having issues since early December and Vader's outbreak was 2 weeks ago). Vader went on an oral steroid with an antibiotic shot and healed up within days...he's perfect again. CoCo had fantastic results the first time she was treated but last week when we treated both cats we barely noticed any improvement. CoCo has not had an sweaters on for well over two weeks and still no change.

Is it possible that the fibers of fabric can get into their systems and cause havoc? I had her ears checked as they seemed to be putting off quite a bit of wax and they did show signs of yeast. Would it be as simple as she had a reaction to fabric, started to itch, toenails had yeast on them and she got it her her systemically? I'm just amazed that it's gone on this long...

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Cassi
Ki is on Triamcinolone. 0.5mg tablet.
She also had a horrible secondary yeast infection in her ears and on her private parts when we got her. She smelled of rising dough. Yuck. It turned my stomach because I have gluten allergies and that smell makes me feel sick.
We were on two tabs a day for a week and then one tab a day for a week and now down to a tab every other day. Doing well at that dosage. Going to try and go to a tab every three days in another week but vet said to use my best judgment and if she does better with every other day to up the doses.
Two differnt vets have said she just has a over reaction in her immune system. If I do the injection allergy testing which is very expensive we maybe can pin down what her trigger is but maybe not. I already did the blood serum allergy test and it only showed high levels to a few weeds. I will be happy if we can just keep her happy and stable. We took her home with very open eyes full knowing that as a rescue she might know live a full life span. But whatever time we can give her it will be happy.

Last edited:

Cassi

Lairian
Thank you, I really appreciate all of the information. We are seeing some improvement from a shampoo called Malaseb Pet Shampoo. It's an antibacterial and antifungal formulation . We also used Kenic Kalaya Emu Oil Shampoo to help moisturize her skin. I've started her on a Zyrtec a day as well...she's not perfect but I am noticing a bit of improvement.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It is really important that if your cat has a skin condition ask for a full blood count and ultrasound of the organs. What we learnt that what might behave as a skin condition could actually be a sign of internal cancer. / lymphoma. (RIP baby Ella you are sorely missed and were so brave and strong).

cleosphynxtx05

Lairian
This thread hasn't been commented on in a while, but I'm glad to see this condition being discussed. The photos from Pussiette look exactly like my Cleo looked in January and September of this year. Cleo is 5 1/2 and had never had any skin allergies or problems until one random day in January when she exploded in huge, raised, sometimes bloody hives. We had not changed a single thing with her diet, detergents, litter...literally nothing changed. We took her to the emergency vet that night and they gave her an antihistamine and antibiotic. That helped clear her skin up for the most part after a couple of weeks. I distinctly remember having given her a small bite of smoked turkey (which she had had before without issue) from my sub sandwich a day or so before the hives appeared. She was fine with no noticeable skin problems until September, when she broke out in the hives again. This time, I took note and believe it or not, the hives started appearing a few hours after she had a bite of smoked deli turkey. It was another trip to the emergency vet and an antibiotic/antihistamine. So far, she is completely clear and is not allowed to have turkey anymore. As this is the only thing I can remember that happened on both occasions, I assume it had something to do with her reaction.

Afterward, I did find a shampoo that does wonders for keeping her skin nice and soft. It is called Duoxo Chlorhexidine PS. I'm not sure if anyone else uses an OTC medicated shampoo on their Sphynx, but this seems to really help keep her skin soft and moisturized. She eats Natural Balance Indoor Ultra Chicken kibble and seems to be okay with that both digestively and skin wise. She refuses to eat canned food, so I'm no help in that arena.

I hope you are able to isolate what is causing all of your baby's hives. It is very distressing to see them in such a condition and not know what is causing it. If you've given them any human food around the time the hives appear, I suggest taking note, as this is the only thing I can determine happened on both occasions of Cleo's hives. I also highly recommend trying the shampoo - it has had no ill effects on Cleo.

I will update this thread should she break out in hives again sans any smoked turkey. Definitely did not intend to hijack this thread, but wanted to offer my input of the turkey likely being the source of Cleo's hives in the event it helps the rest of your babies.

The attached photos are from January shortly after the hives started. They got worse and got close to as bad as Pussiette's. Hope this information is helpful.

20140105_210927.jpeg
20140103_191419.jpeg
20140103_191425.jpeg

Last edited:

cleosphynxtx05

Lairian
@pussiette, I just got to the end of the thread and saw your very sad comment about Ella's passing. I am so very sorry to hear that your baby crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Now I am really really scared because Cleo's skin looked almost identical to Ella's on two occasions this year. Are you able to elaborate on what you found out, re: cancer? If you're not able or don't want to, I understand. My sincerest condolences for the loss of Ella.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@cleosphynxtx05 , welcome to you and Cleo!
Sharing your experiences with her and photos is greatly appreciated... We all learn from each other -
The Lair Family is a wealth of love and knowledge-

Welcome! :) and thank you for sharing!

Looking forward to pics of Cleo and your journey with us on the Lair!
Glad you jumped right in!

Back